Slash Appetite Custom shop Gibson wiring

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by raw power, Jun 13, 2010.

1. brianugly

brianugly Senior Member

Make sure you get some PIO caps as well. Vitamin Q, Bumblebee, Jensen, all make them, I'm sure you could get everything you need from mojotone.com, including all the pots you need to DIY.

2. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

I'd suggest getting 500k CTS audio taper pots for both, volume and tone controls.
    Add some nice PIO caps (I have Russian K40Y-9 caps, 0.015uF/neck and 0.022uF/bridge, in my LPs), wire them 50s style and you're good to go. :thumb:

3. SessionMan

SessionMan Junior Member

On the picture of the VOS version there appears to be a wire connecting the grounds on all pots. Am I mistaken?

@ Shifty and BrianUgly....I'll let you know how the mod turns out. It's on my EPI but being an electronics tech for a living, even I know that better parts and clean wiring make a huge difference in audio quality.

4. Kirk2000

Kirk2000 Premium Member

Yes, you are correct. I took another look and it's a bare ground wire.. KIRK

5. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Yup, that's the ground bus wire. It's the way Gibson wired their guitars in the 50s.
    The "50s wiring harness" I bought for my Tokai from our member lukemacauley is done the same way.

[​IMG]

If you look closely, you can also see that the Gibson USA AFD has the modern style wiring and the CS AFD is wired 50s style.

6. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

in a nutshell... rubbish. :lol:

7. SessionMan

SessionMan Junior Member

I need a hand shifty...my Epi wiring is f'ed. It's like a rat's nest in there. the only thing i can decipher is the pup wires. there is some ridiculous crap going on here. I'm not sure how to make my LP 50's wiring out of what is already present.

8. Darkness59fr

Darkness59fr Senior Member

You can find schematics here :

How to convert from modern to 50's wiring
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/558-wiring-library.html#post4553

and a full 50s wiring schematic
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/558-wiring-library.html#post124675

Changing the wiring or swapping the electronic with better parts are not difficult. Just take your time, double check the changes before and after. You should proceed in different steps and check on an amp between each steps (wire the bridge pickup & volume, then add its tonestack, then neck pickup & volume, then its tone stack) In case of issue, that will save you time to just check what is wrong in the last change rather than debugging the whole harness

9. excessive81

excessive81 Senior Member

youcan make your epi look and sound alot better by redoing it. here is what mine looks like now....

[​IMG]

10. Ayy Itss Daveee

Ayy Itss Daveee Senior Member

Yea, I'm thinking now about having my Snakepit Epi rewired and new pots... I had the pots cleaned a couple times but they still get all scratchy... It's pretty annoying.

11. SessionMan

SessionMan Junior Member

Thanks for coming to my rescue. This was more of a task than changing out the pups. I think I was over confident.

12. gangstanumberone

gangstanumberone Junior Member

Hi, does anybody know where I can get the same capacitors as used on the Custom Shop VOS Appetite For Destruction, cant seem to find that serial number anywhere :slash:

13. Lucianolpf

Lucianolpf Junior Member

We all know that volume pots in the USA model are 300k. Gibson's site says that VOS are 500k. Has anybody here already measured vol pots from Slash Appetite VOS?

14. Amnesic Aphasia

Amnesic Aphasia Junior Member

Here are two pictures of my AFD Aged & Signed wiring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The same like the VOS. The Aged & Signed is the same guitar like the VOS.

15. ajay

ajay Senior Member

Some of the early 2014 Gibson Peace Guitars were hand wired, and mine is one of them. The wiring on my Peace looks exactly like the USA Slash Appetite. Gibson Pots and Orange Drop Caps, and there is no Single a Coil Push Pull action on the Pots. I was really glad to get one without the PCB.