Slash Appetite Custom shop Gibson wiring

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by raw power, Jun 13, 2010.

1. raw power

raw power Member

I was wondering if anyone out there has brought the new Slash Appetite Custom shop (not USA) Gibson.
    I am wanting to see a close up picture of inside the control plate panel so you can see the wiring of the electrics.
    Can anybody post a picture of it for me?

2. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

Do you work for Payress Guitars?

3. raw power

raw power Member

Do I work for Payress guitars? Nope. I haven't even heard of them. Someone out there on this forum must have brought this guitar so they can post a picture of the wiring. Am curious to see if its done with 50s wiring and exactly what caps are used in it

4. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

I saw some pics of Slash wiring in his other LP's and it was just modern wiring with ceramic disc caps and treble bleed kits.

5. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

The Custom Shop AFD VOS has 50s wiring with Orange Drop capacitors.
    The Gibson USA AFD has modern wiring with Orange Drop caps.

6. raw power

raw power Member

jonesy - I have the first Slash custom vos (his fav live guitar) and have seen some of the other models and yes they have the modern wiring with ceramic discs and the goldtop has the treble bleed

-=[Shifty]=- - you say they custom appetite guitar has orange drop caps and 50s wiring. How do you know this info is correct and that they are not black beauty caps etc? If you own the guitar please post a picture to confirm this

7. -=[Shifty]=-

Because Black Beauty caps aren't orange, are they? :laugh2:

No, I don't own one (and I'd never buy one, but that's another topic), but it's been discussed here before.
    There are pics of the wiring of both, the CS and the Gibson USA AFD in this thread. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/89858-ngd-unboxed-my-slash-afd-vos.html

Here's the wiring of the Gibson USA version....

[​IMG]

...and this is the wiring of the CS AFD VOS.

[​IMG]

8. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

A guy on ebaY is selling one and thats the only one I have ever heard of and according to slash's tech he is playing the afd USA not the custom shop

9. -=[Shifty]=-

The only what you've ever heard of?

10. Tony Lampropoulos

Tony Lampropoulos Junior Member

Hello :)
    My friend bought this guitar last week. I wish I was righthand... well, lets talk about the guitar for now :p
    The Custom Shop AFD VOS has 50s wiring. Also I remembered my friend saying something about the available colours. For me absolutely no question, this guitar is worth every penny, at least the VOS is. Not the Aged Signed though, mainly because the aging was NOT made by Tom Murphy, and it isn't really a very aged guitar, not like the Pages, or the Inspired By Slash, this one has very minor wear so the aging should not be that much of a factor in the cost.
    Well, as far of Slash's tech etc etc on the previous post, Im pretty sure that Slash played with a Les Paul 1959 with his modes ofc.
    Thats all my friend, hope i helped ya :)

11. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Many of you have probably already seen these videos, but I think Chet Haun does a good job showing what gear Slash is currently using on stage.

Slash?s Tone Secrets Revealed!

12. Tony Lampropoulos

Tony Lampropoulos Junior Member

Thank you for the link! May I ask something if anyone know? I heard of Marshall that build AFD 100 same specs to the one that Slash wanted to "steal" for its amazing tone. Does Slash plays with this now (a prototype maybe?) or it stills on repairs?

13. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

afd custom shop, I didnt know they even made such a thing until today when I saw one for sale. I didnt know they had an even more "special" one

14. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

Still a prototype at Marshall

afd100.com

15. -=[Shifty]=-

Really? There were quite a few threads here from people who bought a Custom Shop AFD VOS.

16. -=[Shifty]=-

Here are Slash's guitars for his tour.
    As you can tell from the headstocks, they're all Gibson USA guitars (except for the first one, which is the Custom Shop Les Paul with the piezo bridge).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mightymike

mightymike Senior Member

According to that video of Slash's tech he is using regular Slash/Jubilee models only at the moment. His live sound also doesn't really resemble the AFD tone.

18. Ayy Itss Daveee

Ayy Itss Daveee Senior Member

The AFD100 site just posted that they're bringing Slash a second prototype on the 20th, which he will test at sound check for his show that day in Paris. If he likes it, he's gonna use it for the show.

19. SessionMan

SessionMan Junior Member

Do you know the size of the caps in the VOS? Curious to find out what brand of pots were used and if they used the short or long stems?

I'm simply going to put the hardware(not the pickups) in my LP and get the neck shaped. That way I don't own another artists guitar. Still trying to find my own sound.

20. SessionMan

SessionMan Junior Member

Disregard. I researched using caps period. Depends on the pickup. (.022 or .047 uf) I'm installing new pots on the BB1 and BB2 (neck then bridge) so I'm going with .022uf on the tone knob pots which are being switched out of and Epi standard and replaced with the Gibson 500k and the volume pots are being switched out for 300K Linear Taper pots. I'll let you know how they sound.