Slash AFD 170 Derrig DIY refinish

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Gibsonclassic2001, Sep 5, 2014.

1. hidebai

hidebai Senior Member

2. LPaddicted

LPaddicted Senior Member

3. SlashDerrig

SlashDerrig Junior Member

So the question is...what would Kris Derrig have used. The answer I've gotten recently from a few sources is... what ever he had laying around at Jim Foote's place that was either vintage or just worked well.

What I'm trying to ascertain from this thread is what specifically did he use on the guitar that ended up as Slash's AFD recording guitar.

I can see double ring for sure. Am I correct in thinking they were single line vintage?

4. SlashDerrig

This guitar's chevron flames and cross grain, pop differently under different light and at different angles. I've found that over spraying the finish can really squash the cross grain.
    Fortunately thats not the case here.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  5. Gibsonclassic2001

Gibsonclassic2001 Senior Member

Just took Afd170 out of storage this weekend.
    Its been there since april 2016.
    Ive moved close to the polar circle and I only had my 59 melody maker and 56 replica with me :)

Nice to see that this thread is still alive.

6. SlashDerrig

Do you have any NOS Sprague 192 0.022uf 600V caps or mid 80's MJ APH-1's in storage that you're willing to sell? I know its a hail mary long shot, but worth an ask. Thanks again for starting this thread.

7. Gibsonclassic2001

I got 10 caps and around 20 zebra rev zebra vintage aph pickups.
    All in storage right now.

There are some pictures in the mj tribute post in the duncan forum.
    Let me know what you need and Ill check
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...e-to-MJ-wound-Alnico-II-pro-from-1986-to-2013

8. LondonMckuffey

LondonMckuffey Junior Member

Fascinating thread, I've searched for it several times and am thankful it has resurfaced.

9. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Some really cool stuff here. I've thought about doing the same thing even though I can't claim to be a huge Slash fanboy. Just love the look and sound of it. It's the guitar that turned me on to tiger strip lemon burst LPs.

10. bmwfreq

bmwfreq Senior Member

DUDE!!!!!

Fantastic job on the AFD Les Paul replica!! Well done! How many hours do you think you have into your replica??

On a different subject, I haven't replicated my AFD Les Paul yet, but I have replicated Slash's #34 JCM 800. The guitar is next, and thanks to your thread it's going to make the project much much easier.

Again, nice job on the replica!!!

11. Gibsonclassic2001

Hi

Nice to see a fellow metroamp.com sir thread brother here at mlp.:thumb:
    Ive posted this guitar 2 years ago at metro.
    Pulled it out of storage and Im about to setup my 36 mod srv2000 right again.

12. Gibsonclassic2001

First real jam session since may 2016.
    Its still my no.1
    Old strings and almost a year in storage ��

[​IMG]

13. SlashDerrig

Andy Brauer installing a Wolly Mammoth Tusq nut on the MAX Derrig Tribute.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sct13 likes this.
  14. SlashDerrig

I've been looking for a set of mid Eighties APH1 Pickups and Sprague Pacer 192 0.022uf 600v caps.
    Broke down and ordered a custom shop set from MJ who said she will find the correct NOS butyrate bobbins for me.
    Now, if I can only get some caps.

15. SlashDerrig

Got MJ at the Seymour Duncan Custom shop to create a set of NOS mid Eighties butyrate bobbin APH-1's Zebra's.
    I specifically told her not to compensate for the added weight like they did for the Gibson Slash AFD tribute and to wind these per what Slash had in his Derrig. I told her it was a Max build based on the specs of 5 Derrigs with wood sourced from the same supplier as the Slash AFD Derrig.
    [​IMG]

16. SlashDerrig

What she looks like now.
    [​IMG]

17. SlashDerrig

Tried like hell to source NOS Sprague 192 0.022uf 600V caps, here and on other sites but got no reply here. So I went with the modern version as in the Gibson Derrig Tribute.
    [​IMG]

18. SlashDerrig

Pretty Stoked to have a guitar that was built/modified by Peter Max Baranet, Scott Sheldon, Andy Brauer, Avi Shabat & MJ. Sounds amazing.

19. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Wow, nice guitar! I actually have a set of Slash prototype Duncans, that he used, and rejected (I don't know why).

20. SlashDerrig

Yeah, Tone really is a combination of things... Assuming the Amp and EFX RIG are the same...The guitar he uses to compare the pups is the key. So if he used the a Gibson built Slash model or some reference guitar that he knows most people will be dropping the Slash models into AND the prototype doesn't sound right then keep asking MJ to tweek.

I knew well enough that simply getting a set of the SD Slash AP2's was a not the way to go. Would have loved to have gotten my hands on actual Mid 80's pups but Gibsonclassic2001 lives in a part of the world where he didn't have easy access to these & the Caps to sell them to me yet. Hoping he still reaches out on the caps at least. Would love to compare both, these new pups to his mid 80's and the NOS Caps to the modern ones. Doubt my ears will be able to tell anything frankly. I have NOS Spragues in 80v & 200V and my limited knowledge of electronics tells me these values are already over the limit of how they would affect the tone... but my mind buys into all kinds of esoteric stuff.. ;-).

While it took longer than I wanted, largely because I didn't follow the standard custom shop process of ordering, (I made the mistake of just emailing her directly, because she always takes my order and goes the extra mile) MJ in the end knew that I had a guitar that intended to be a very close approximation of the Derrig in size and Wood density. So she assumed that winding to what she knew was the Derrig starting point was what I was wanting.

These are Alnico II 7.50K & 8.35K

Zoobiedood likes this.