Slash AFD 170 Derrig DIY refinish

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Gibsonclassic2001, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Gibsonclassic2001

Gibsonclassic2001 Senior Member

Got some Wizz M69 comming!

Some of you might have noticed my MJ Aph tribute post at Duncans pickup forum .
    Over the years ive found a couple of NOS NIB 1986 aph .

I guess these are the holy grail .
    Nos but mounted in a unsold crap mij guitar .

Ripped out and they are now in my afd 170.

Lighter bone color ! Otp rings
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

You do realize that a lot of the older MIJ guitars that had those pups in them are diamonds in the rough, and better than anything Gibson makes today? Other than the Custom Shop Historic's, they are a lot better sounding and playing guitar than most anything Gibson puts out today.

The APH-1's usually came in the higher end stuff. I know Greco used them for the EG1000D, an outstanding guitar. If I was someone and wanted to do a project like this, an older MIJ guitar would be a great start. The build quality is top notch.

Although some of those guitars are getting to be in the price range of Gibson's today, and are highly sought after. You could find a nice lower level model for around $700 and have you a Les Paul built to actual Burst specs. Something Gibson doesn't do with US production models.

I really love how your top turned out, and I admire your work. My hats off to you, congrats on a job well done!

3. dwk302

dwk302 Senior Member

Bravo!! I'm saluting you with a standing ovation as I type. I love the OCD level of attention to detail. AFD is the reason I picked up a guitar and the Les Paul. I've always wanted a copy of Slash's Derrig built and this is the perfect recreation. Truly remarkable. :slash:

Where did you find those old Duncans? I've been looking for early 80s SD Alnico Pros but haven't been able to find any. I had a set of slash Alnico pros from 2012 but I'm guessing the old ones with older mags sound better, no? Did the 192p caps make a difference? JonesyBlues sells an AFD harness but he's using 220p caps.

4. Gibsonclassic2001

Ive used ebay, local guitar stores and even bought entire guitars to get pickups.

I think that the stock modern 315 and 225 sound different.
    Same goes for 220 and 192.

Ive measure them and the nos tend to read lower then specified also.

5. Gibsonclassic2001

6. Gibsonclassic2001

[​IMG]

Btw traveling to "guitars" in Umeå also.
    I hope to see a burst or goldtop :)

2 people like this.
  7. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

I see that there has been a lot of questions asked here except the mother of all questions, how does she sound? Details please!

I think for one to get the best representation of how Slash's Derrig actually sounds, without all of the studio processing, is to watch the '88 GN'R Ritz video.

8. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

What material is those older Gotoh bridge's and tailpiece's made from?

Are they solid aluminum? Or some kind of "pot" metal?

9. Gibsonclassic2001

It sounds like the Derrig.
    All small details create this sound.

The combination of aph+pot n cap values and the material combination.
    The vintage gotoh bridge and thumb wheel material changed over the years.
    This is "pot" metal.
    Even the saddles are not even brass.

The bridge pins and wheels have changed a couple of times during the 80s. Metal or brass combination.

10. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

That's great, glad to hear it.

Your right, the hardware, components, and pups is what makes the sound. The tone of the woods used in a Les Paul all inherently sound the same tone wise. Although there may be variances in how bright, or dark it sounds, as well as how good it sustains. But all in all, it will be pretty close in tone. That's where everything else makes the differences.

I have a couple of early 80's Burny guitars, and as far as I know, all MIJ guitars came with Gotoh hardware on it. From my understanding they were the only company that made these parts in Japan back in the day. I was never really sure what the hardware was made out of, which must be the same pot metal. It definitely sounds different, and better than the pot metal used today on Gibson's. It's brighter in ways like aluminum, and it kind of has an edgy sound to it.

Thanks for the info, and sharing your project.

11. agarwaen

agarwaen Junior Member

Are the volume pots on the original 500k audio or 300k linear?

12. Full-Boost

Full-Boost Junior Member

Slash's Derrig has 500k Audio tapers built in.

By the way I have 2x Original Vintage mid 80ties
    Seymour Duncan aph1 Alnico II wound by MJ , one in Zebra and one in Black both for the Bridge Position for sale .
    These are exactly same Pickups which Slash's Derrig Les Paul has built in till now.:slash:

1 person likes this.
  13. Tazz3

Tazz3 Senior Member

That's killer awesome job

14. Gibsonclassic2001

Small update.
    Its still alive , still checking, still fading, and the clear coat is more vintage tint amber.

With flash to boost the amber a bit.
    The color is similar to Derrig les paul with flash.

[​IMG]

Checking is quite visable

[​IMG]

No flash

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  15. Drew1986

Drew1986 Senior Member

Out of curiosity, and forgive me if this has already been answered, but what's the difference pros/cons of the vintage Duncans vs the Slash signature ones?

16. Stoj

Stoj Senior Member

^^ This ^^ :dude:

17. SlashDerrig

SlashDerrig Junior Member

This a great thread. Thank you for all the information. I'm trying to determine if I am going to try and get this Lemon Drop Burst to fade a little faster, leave it alone or refinish the guitar. This guitar was built by Peter "Max" Baranet from his detailed notes of 5 Kris Derrig built Les Paul copies. The wood is Western Maple sourced around the same time and from the same supplier as Kris Derrig (w/ Jim Foote), Dale Hardwoods Warehouse on El Monte in South Los Angeles in the mid 80's. However the hardware is not what is found on Slash's Derrig.

This thread has inspired me to source, the tuners, caps, reflector knobs & Pup's to start.
    Who knows how OCD I'll get with this. I've emailed MJ and asked her to build me a custom set based on Slash's original APH-1's because the guitar I'm using is more like the original in terms of spec and wood than the Gibson VOS AFD. It will be interesting to see what she comes up with. She has done a lot of really interesting custom repairs and build for me so I'm pretty confident I'll like what she builds, but original 85-86 pup's would also be great to find. If anyone has a lead on the Spragues 192 600v 0.022uf caps, I'd appreciate it. Cheers...

[​IMG]

The Switch Plate
    [​IMG]

The back of Headstock. Notice the single line single ring tuners. Vintage double ring tuners aren't that hard to find but typically pricey ($300-$500).
    [​IMG]

Max's LOA
    [​IMG]

18. Droog

Droog Senior Member

Interesting first post, keep us posted. Welcome. :wave:

19. Curious George

Curious George Senior Member

FWIW... I know SlashDerrig a bit from correspondence in the past around a guitar I used to own. Don't want to overstep my bounds, so SD... you should head over to the introductions when you get time if so inclined.

A lot of great info buried here in MLP!... oh and of course... very very cool LP.

20. SlashDerrig

SlashDerrig Junior Member

Yes, I know that was my first post on MLP. So thank you to Curious George, for saying hello and inviting me to introduce myself. I will try do get one done in the introduction section over the weekend once this turkey induced coma wears off.

But for now, here's a quick hello to the members of this thread. I've been lurking on MLP for years as a Los Angeles based music industry guy / guitar lover.

For one reason or another I've never felt I've ever had any real comments that would benefit the MLP forum threads. But like everyone else here I'm a guitar fanatic who's been playing for a long time. 36 years on guitar with 4 of those getting my bachelors in Music at the University of Miami in the Music Engineering (MUE) program as a guitar major. I've been a studio owner, engineer, record label owner but mostly a technology guy for most of my career. Guitar specifically has never really been my livelihood but always my passion.

I too like to modify guitars for various reasons and can get pretty OCD myself. As far as MLP goes, I own 5 Les Pauls, 2 Sg's and 2 Samick made Epiphone Sheraton's that I absolutely adore. (I have recently found a new passion for vintage Supro's.)

What caught my eye in this thread was the level of detail around Slash's Derrig.
    I too have been wanting a Derrig similar to Slash's and hence how I came to meet Curious George via email earlier this year.

Overall I'm a tone junkie and need to feel a guitars resonance, sustain and overall tone. These forums have become a real interesting rabbit holes for me. Sometimes resulting in very long reads with little payoff, while other times they have been fascinating shares of other peoples passion and knowledge.

I hope the share of my project results in something interesting... so far its a hunt for some specific items to celebrate Kris Derrig and Slash....

Thanks for the welcome...