Skinpimp Skin Bender MkII

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by mattfeltham, Nov 7, 2011.

1. mattfeltham

mattfeltham Senior Member

Fell in love with this pedal after seeing this demo:
    http://youtu.be/Qg7m-q-wLG4
    It's a little pricey though.
    Can anyone recommend a fuzz pedal that can nail these tones, that's a little easier on the wallet?

Note: It'll be used with an SG on a Phaze DC 18w

2. Monster

Monster Senior Member

Skinpimp makes some of the cooler pedals out there. For a little cheaper, a Monsterpiece MKIII should be close. For really cheap, the Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz is a decent sounding fuzz. BYOC (build your own clone) has a tonebender copy that is probably the cheapest pedal you could get that sounds pretty close to the Skinpimp, but you'd need to build it.

3. yawny

yawny Senior Member

You could probably get someone to build you a BYOC or GGG copy for fairly cheap, it isn't like the Tonebender circuit is terribly complex or uncommon. Just do a search for MKII Tonebender clones, that should widen your options a little.

4. mattfeltham

I have noticed that before, my only hesitation is that i've seen a million tonebender clone demos before, but it was really only this one that stood out to me and made me go WOW! I was kind of hoping that someone would see the video and think "Yeah I have 'this-pedal' and it nails that tone" and I could go from there.
    Otherwise, clones and DIY are my next option.

5. yawny

yawny Senior Member

Regardding this, i'm pretty sure the Skinbender is just a Tonebender MK2 clone, albeit one that has allegedly been made to mimic the real one very closely (what this means they changed, i'm not sure).

I believe that any Tonebender MK2 clone you get that uses good quality components will get this sound. Burgs and PGS' demos tend to sound really, really great, regardless of what pedal they're playing. Sometimes this is good, sometimes its bad.

6. mattfeltham

I've noticed that they're very good at selling pretty much ANY pedal... But i've done my research. I looked at a lot of other fuzz and distortion pedals prior to this, and to be honest i'd never heard of Skinpimp until this demo, and i fell in love with it before i saw the price tag.

That being said, none of the other Tonebender clone demos i've seen/heard really spoke to me like this did. So i'm, relying on testimony from people on here with experience as to what other pedals can get this tone or a similar one (if at all). I'm sure I could coax it out of a Fuzz Factory or Fuzz God II (both of which I could actually pick up for about $150!), but I really loved the simplicity of the 2 knobs. I have enough other pedals with EQ on them to have to worry about it on this too haha.

Seems like the general consensus is that pretty much any quality Tonebender clone should be able to do this, so who can tell me which is the best bang for your buck clone? I wouldn't want to spend much more than $150... if i have to spend more than that I might as well save for a while and just fork out enough for the Skin Bender MkII (which i'd rather not do).

7. mattfeltham

Anyone?

8. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

If you're in love with the sound of that one, save up. MKIIs, both vintage and modern clones, vary greatly. They can be smooth and soupy, raspy and gated, and can vary quite a bit in gain depending on the transistors. $250 isn't that bad for a really,really good clone like the Skinpimp. I spent more on my D*A*M MKII years ago when the custom shop was still around.

9. yawny

yawny Senior Member

AbbeSauniere, is there any way to still get the D*A*M clones? I've been all around their site the past few days and it's rather confusing. I've seen a couple places that have them in-stock, but that would be luck. Do they still make them or are they discontinued/custom shop only?

10. tonebone

tonebone Senior Member

MkII's come in three flavors,
    OC75
    OC81d (this is the "mojo," version - supposedly Page has this in his. don't know if it's really true)
    OC84 (some say this is best)

And I guess it really depends whats in the "hot spot" of the three spots the transistors reside. The amp spot? Still learning here.

Maybe you could find out what's in that SkinPimp MkII you've fallen in love with on the tube. He's built several versions from what I've read.

And AS is the man with advice to heed.

11. AbbeSauniere

You can get the OC84 loaded Sola Sound reissue from Macaris, London. It's got less gain than the Skinpimp in the vid. Has more emphasis on the lows and low mids compared to the Skinpimp and is tuned for a bit more rasp.

There's also the Sola Sound short board reissue in the blue case. Haven't been many made yet. It's based on early Sola Sound MKIIs, which literally were built using shorter perfboard for the circuits. Some small differences in the circuit and tuning, making it less low end heavy, with more mids and hell a rasp.

D*A*M is no longer producing MKIIs under the D*A*M moniker, except for the Japanese market.

12. AbbeSauniere

A Creepy Fingers Magnabender MKII came up for sale at The Gear Page forums. The Gear Page

Here's a video demo
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCo93xK-zmw]Creepy Fingers Magnabender - YouTube[/ame]

Brad/Creepy Fingers is an awesome builder with a great ear. He also happens to be the bass player for Fu Manchu. He's built me a few pedals including a really amazing Supa Fuzz clone that rivaled my D*A*M MKII. Very cool guy!

13. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Senior Member

I have not hears a single (remotely) negative comment about Brad's work or his presonality.
    He really comes across as a GREAT bloke.
    Have to delt with him myself though.

14. Xrun Morzov

Xrun Morzov Senior Member

If someone is interested I have mine with OC84's for sale:
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/sk...h-nos-mullards-built-by-ryan-kirkland.395401/