Single sized humbucker... is it real?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Mockbel, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

Maybe if I provide more information you'll understand that there is no contradiction.

If the difference between two pickups is Q factor related, you simply adjust the pot values used in the wiring of the guitar to increase or decrease the load upon the pickup. For anyone who doesn't know, the Q factor is the degree of LC resonance, and LC resonance is where you get a spike in treble output at a particular frequency. Strat bridge pickups are known for having a high Q factor. Even the tone knob itself, near the top portion of the sweep, primarily only serves to reduce the Q. It's not until you get near the bottom of the tone dial that the capacitor has a distinctive influence. The inherent cause of different Q factors is related to the steel parts in the pickup and the eddy currents they cause. Altering the load can "put back" whatever the eddy currents have "taken away". If the difference is related to magnetic strength, you can raise or lower the pickups, or even perform a magnet swap.

OTOH the other hand if a pickup has a given inductance and capacitance, the only way to move resonant peak around is with parallel capacitance or inductance, and those have drawbacks. You can move the resonance peak lower with capacitance, but since the inductance and wind count(s) is the same, the voltage wont increase as it would with a hotter wound pickup. You can raise the peak with parallel inductance, but because pickups already have such a high inductance, you need a very high value inductor in order to prevent the overall inductance from becoming extremely low. Bill Lawrence's website still offers a small inductor called a Q filter that supposedly works well, but otherwise it's not something that is as readily available as a capacitor.

2. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Senior Member

It won't but I don't see that any where in the original post.

3. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I don't know how you've reached to this conclusion... :facepalm:

When I say that I have a strat and i want the bridge pickup to sound like a humbucker and then I ask whether single size humbuckers are a marketing lie... This means that I am asking whether a single size humbucker will sound like a full size humbucker or not... can it be understood any other way guys??

northernguitarguy likes this.
  4. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Too much technical details for me here... good to understand a bit about the physics behind equipment anyways :)

I decided to leave the strat as it is and save up for a HH Charvel... isn't it beautoful as it is? :D

20170501_211535_resized.jpg

cooljuk and northernguitarguy like this.
  5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

She’s a beauty.

Mockbel likes this.
  6. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

I'm a winder. Overall dimensions are not difficult to change at all. I do it all the time by making taller and shorter bobbins or modifying the height of existing bobbins. Doing so makes a very significant change in coil geometry.

You can also get magnets of different dimensions.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  7. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

Also: You can also modify the width of the bobbins as I do on one particular model.

8. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Absolutely! Making bobbins out of plastic, wood, cardboard, epoxy, etc. is absolutely essential to repair work. Magnets and steel are used as coil cores, as well, for some designs.

Even for something as simple as repairing an early P-90 with an (extremely common) shattered bobbin. There's actually no off-the-shelf P-90 bobbins out there that have a correct 1 15/16" spacing so one MUST modify or build one to do that common repair.

For just typical humbucker bobbins, it's far more common to find one with the wrong internal dimensions than the right internal dimensions and shape (for a PAF). Point being, there are options for different heights and lengths and internal widths. All of that changes the voice of a pickup.

With a cooled saw or grinder, AlNiCo magnets can be shaped, and often have to be to replace a lost or broken magnet.

9. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I was referring to a finished product.

10. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

I think it goes without saying that making significant changes to any finished product will be difficult for the end user who has no experience in the manufacture (or at least modification) of said product. Hence it was not unreasonable for me to assume you were referring to winders.

11. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

Even if referring to pickups not yet made, you're restricted by convention if you want to use existing routes and mounts. The reason single coil sized humbuckers are a market success is mostly because players either don't like the look, or the extra work, involved with installing a full sized humbucker.

Since much of what makes a full sized '59 or Super Distortion sound the way they do is the harmonic content they see from the strings, you can't alter those dimensions much, and still get that same harmonic content.

12. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

Mockbel,

Charvel’s are excellent guitars. I’ve still the one that I had bought in 1985 and that’s one of the best instruments among all those we’ve here.

Now, Fender has launched a few Strats with HSH or HHH pickguards. See the two Dave Murray models –one with 2 full sized DiMarzio’s + a mid SC, the other with 3 Duncan SC sized HB’s (apparently, this change doesn’t annoy Dave).

Also and if ever it has any interest for you, there’s a few schematics able to make your current Strat more versatile without changing its pickups nor its beautiful look.

Some switchable circuits allow to put pickups in series, in the Brian May fashion. In this case, the neck OR bridge + mid stock single coils can form a wide humbucker (at least if the mid one is RWRP but I think it to be the case in your Strat).

Another circuit, even more interesting, adds OOP sounds in positions 2 & 4.

Each requires no more than one or two push pull pot(s), or no load control(s), or TBX.

The last circuit mentioned can even be done with the stock parts, by changing one of the tone controls in a blender. Only a soldering iron and a few wires are required. Link:

http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/armstrongstratvers.html

I'll post other links or pics if needed, if time permits.

FWIW.

Mockbel and northernguitarguy like this.