Single sized humbucker... is it real?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Mockbel, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

Duncan and other makers of single-coil sized humbuckers don't claim they will sound exactly like the real thing, just that they will be a far better approximation than an overwound true single.

Mockbel likes this.
  2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I don't think they've ever explicitly made that claim. I'm sure they imply it, though.

Mockbel likes this.
  3. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Yes they do.

The Super Distortion® S offers the performance of the famous Super Distortion®in a humbucking Strat® bridge direct replacement-size pickup.

Mockbel and cooljuk like this.
  4. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

It's subtle, but technically, saying that one pickup sounds like another pickup doesn't exclude the possibility that other pickups sound similar too. They're not saying a hot single coil doesn't sound like a PAF.

5. northernguitarguy

Whatever. They’re implying that they will sound the same. Hence the OP question, which is totally legit.

cooljuk likes this.
  6. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

In your quote they say "offers the performance" which does not mean "sounds the same". It's implied that they will sound the same, but not promised, because that would require that they defy physics.

7. northernguitarguy

Jesus, I just finished saying that they imply that they will sound the same. Are you fucking with me?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    cooljuk likes this.
  8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Oh, you are not aware of the ducking and weaving Antigua shows when its proved something he says is not correct......welcome to the madhouse.

cooljuk and northernguitarguy like this.
  9. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I never said OP's question wasn't legit, btw. I don't know where you got that idea from. I think OP's question is a very good one, which is why I responded with a detailed answer.

The bottom line is that a pickup is low pass filter with some small amount of resonance, with a given set of dimensions. For the fact that there is not much to it, you can make an overwound single coil sounds as close to the '59 as does a Little '59, which is to say, not very close. The only real difference between a hot single coil and a hot SC-HB is that one humbucks EMI and other other doesn't. The other differences between then are trivial.

10. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

By that logic, a PAF and P-90 would sound identical. Which is absolutely absurd. It's fine if you want to share theory and thought, but qualify it as such. You often use the word "fact" around your statements and that's just outright misleading to those who lack experience and don't know your deal.

Why do I feel like I'm just feeding a troll, here? :facepalm:

northernguitarguy likes this.
  11. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ You have to fight the good fight James. We all know that you are all about giving good info to anybody who asks. Think of it as making sure anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future is not mislead!!

cooljuk and northernguitarguy like this.
  12. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

No, because the PAF has comb filtering and typically has lower inductance than a P-90 as well. In fact, hot SC-HB pickups such as a Little 59's have more in common with a P-90 than they do a '59 PAF, but since far more PAF style humbuckers are sold than P-90's, it makes better marketing sense to assert that the SC-HB is meant to mimick a PAF style HB.

13. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ There is no 'typical' inductance to a p90....nor a humbucker for that matter. With the same inductance, p90's and humbuckers sound different. Like singlecoils and humbuckers for that matter

But you'd just finished saying singlecoils and humbuckers are the same:
    And now you have just contradicted yourself......can it get any more embarrassing for you here??? Maybe you should go back to Strat Talk where there are no winders on the forum and your continual quoting of irrelevant metrics can comfortably be confused for actual knowledge.

14. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I said the other differences are trivial. Differences such as Q factor and magnetic string pull are easy to compensate for. The two things that are probably most difficult to change in a pickup is the inductance per coil and the overall dimensions. Other factors are easier to adjust.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  15. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

I don't get all this highly technical gibberish.

As a player, all I know is that my SD little 59, splitted or not, clean or distorded, sound great in my Strat.

I won't change it anytime soon.

Mockbel likes this.
  16. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

The highly technical gibberish says that you are forbidden from being satisfied with single coil sized humbuckers. You are in violation.

Mockbel likes this.
  17. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

18. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

If you're having to 'adjust for' or 'compensate for'.....then they are not the same. Now you are having to resort to qualifiers to try and keep your point alive.

19. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I never said they were the same, I said the differences were trivial. You seem to be struggling with this.

20. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

No struggling.....just getting you to yet again contradict yourself. Its quite fun really.

dsmcl77 likes this.