Single Cut Showdown (mid range) *HELP*

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Tjzusa, Apr 24, 2018.

Jackson, epiphone esp?

1. Epiphone les paul custom prophecy plus Ex

2. Esp ltd EC 401

3. Jackson SC monarkh pro

4. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tjzusa

Tjzusa Junior Member

What's up guys!
    I am an intermediate guitar player looking to make a semi large purchase of my next single cut.
    Background: I have previously owned a number of guitars such an Ibanez rg series, epiphone special II, etc.
    Currently I am looking at these 3(4) guitars:

~epiphone les paul custom prophecy plus Ex
    ~esp ltd EC 401 (MAYBE 1000)
    ~jackson sc monarkh pro

I have yet to play the ESP or the epi. I am looking for heavy metal, chuggers with an easy switch to some classic rock feel. I understand that the amp is mainly the determining factor in terms of what tone you get; however, I would like a versatile guitar to suit nearly any need at nearly any time.
    I appreciate all feedback and help! Feel free to ask me for clarification or anything.

EDIT: I would like to spend anywhere from 500~800 USD. I currently live in Germany however I have access to guitars from USA via a US post box! I don't think anything would be totally off limits, however let me know if I am wrong. :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    paruwi likes this.
  2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Hi,
    Welcome here @ MyLesPaul
    :wave:

It helps a lot to name a price-range and the location
    because not every guitar is available everywhere

also ab in den Session nach Frankfurt und testen :thumb:

Tjzusa likes this.
  3. Tjzusa

Tjzusa Junior Member

Done! Thank you :D

4. LSAR

LSAR Premium Member

I voted for the Epi, as out of the three I would trust it the most for consistency and quality based on my personal experience. The prophecy series is pretty cool too. I have a bit of a brand loyalty thing though and they've really never done me wrong used or new. I prefer the visuals and the overall feeling of an Epi to the other two. I've bought and in the future will but many an Epi, though gear always comes and goes for me.

Jackson I have little experience with overall, but I've played a few and liked them. I nearly bought one of their silver sparkle singlecuts (one of the set/set-thru neck types) when they first came out as it was really great, but it just didn't make sense at the time with what I already had. I've heard lots of good about Jackson and they always feel great for me, so I'd rank them second.

Personally the ESP/LTD is one I wouldn't consider based on my own experience with the feeling and neck profile on them, and the sound I get from them. They just don't quite look right or sit right for me (the singlecuts specifically), but the quality and attention to detail is typically very high. You may well like them. I've owed three LTD signature models in the past, a Dan Jacobs EX (white with blood splatter finish, black binding, the only one I regret selling), a Gus G signature that was really nice, mahogany and a flamey top, I just hated the shape. The third was a MW-something superstrat with a skull or something on the front, which really did nothing for me. It was heavy and really lacked any acoustic resonance. I find that to be a theme for many LTDs I've played in stores. They were all built very well, but the only one I could say with honesty I miss is the explorer-type.
    I believe I'm in the minority on LTD, as I've rarely ever heard anything but good about them.

5. Tjzusa

Tjzusa Junior Member

I
    Recently I tried the Jackson monarkh pro and was fairly impressed however it was a tad light for my linking. I guess what I'm really looking for is bang for my buck. I know 600~800 price range isnt much for a very high quality guitar but I think that's all I'm willing to spend on an axe at this point and from what I can tell, the epiphone and esp are slightly ahead of the monarkh. I like a heavier tone and I will be pairing whichever I buy up with a boss katana 100w head and some 2x12 v30 cab. If any of that makes a difference.. Thank you :)

6. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

I owned an LTD EC1000 years back, it was well suited for Metal, Rock and could easily play blues too.

Have you looked at Bacchus or Edwards LP guitars?

7. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

I'd get a used LTD EC1000.

8. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

i voted for the epi. have quite a few of em, and they're
    all really nice.

9. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

My choice would be the Agile AL-3200 with a full maple cap if you're going to be dealing with a 24.75" scale.

The 3200 is a neck-through construction guitar with a tummy cut and a smooth neck heel/body join ala the Gibson Axcess. That neck carve alone makes for a much more comfortable guitar if you're working with the upper frets. Jumbo hand-filed frets, 14" radius real ebony fretboard with real MOP inlays, TUSQ nut, Graphtech NVS2 bridge with string saver saddles, multi-layer binding on headstock and body (single layer binding on the fretboard), good AlnicoV pickups (full disclosure: I swapped out the bridge on one for the Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup and have been *very* happy with it).

Extremely high quality build and new price is $499 (plus case and shipping). If you're in Germany, you might want to ask for some extra boxing. They tend to run a bit heavy.

10. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

I have owned a few EC1000s.. one of which I still own. It was my first brand new guitar that I ever bought back in the early 2000s. Aesthetically speaking, I would go with the EC1000. Electronics can always be swapped out. Used EC1000s float around the $500 range in mint shape. I have an LTD Snakebyte and the fit and finish is top notch.. the Epi Prophecy never was a model that I ever had the desire to try.. if ever I bought another non Gib/Epi single cut style guitar, it would be an EC1000T. Those have a full thinkness body very comparable to a Les Paul, ebony fretboard, 22 frets, and some versions of it came with Dimarzio 36th anniverary PAFs.. most have EMGs though..

Although the new Bjorn Gelotte “Jotun” has really caught my eye.. love the white and gold look on it.. metalworks EMGs .. and it has a bottle opener on it lol

11. antikue

antikue Senior Member

You might get a standard series ESP eclipse in Europe, for close to 800, or an Edwards at least. Or a nice Tokai

nigelthebald likes this.
  12. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

Being you’re in Germany and wanna go through the mail.... if you’re going the used route.. just be prepared for some level of hassle if the guitar has a rosewood fingerboard..

13. Tjzusa

Tjzusa Junior Member

Everything im currently looking at it soooooo much more expensive in Euro for a used guitar that costs just about as much as a brand new one in USD. I don't understand why people charge like almost double over here for something that isn't even that much new. Esp ltd EC 1000s for like 980€...used...makes no sense. So I'm kind of stuck as to what to do in terms of buying used or new, buying from USA or Europe. No idea..

14. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

Buy a guitar with a Ebony fretboard, the CITES restrictions are on Rosewood.

15. antikue

antikue Senior Member

I see used guitars and amps are quite expensive in Germany - often. I have found great deals from there, too, but I'd suggest scouring the whole Europe for deals. Unfortunately it's a bit of work since there is no continent wide marketplace but dozens of smaller marketplaces in different languages. It helps if you can pin down what it is you're most interested in and start from there

16. villager

villager Senior Member

import duty is 25% into europe, thats a lot of the difference.. look at mid range older grecos and burnys, these will be great guitars and within your budget ...

17. bridge500t

bridge500t Silver Supporter

Look for an FGN. Great guitars

paruwi likes this.