Simo Rockpalast concert

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Shackenb, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Shackenb

Shackenb Senior Member

2. Stowburst

Stowburst V.I.P. Member

Great vid, I saw them in London. Killer band

3. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

I am thinking that he is now leaving Big Red (the 1962-335) at home also, and is playing the 335 signature that was made for him by Gibson....last time I saw him, he had two of the new ones with him, and until he told me, I thought he was playing BR.

I am pretty sure that "Candy" or the Youngun Burst has gone back to it's home/owner.
    [​IMG]

sadly this Venue, where I go see him for $10 with about 150 other people has just shut it's doors and been torn down.......

4. Shackenb

Shackenb Senior Member

Ah, I think that the first 335 was Big Red, he has used two ones, strings broke two times. And the first one look really vintage, if you look closely in the vid you see some holes, like from a Bigsby.
    Saw him in April with the 60 Burst in Essen and was blown away

5. HardCore Troubadour

I do not remember him saying that BR ever had a bigsby but might have....it did have a trapeze originally as well as I remember.

Of the 2 from Gibson when they were getting ready for the CC/signature guitar, 1 of them had been aged to be as close to Big red as possible and I remember him saying that sometimes, onstage, he would really not be able to tell the difference....it was done that well....that was also why I could not tell the difference, and I am talking about 15 feet away.

Just info, but there was one of the prototypes here for-sale a while back....

he is such a phenomenal player, and a really nice guy to boot.....

6. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

When I saw him a few months ago, he was playing Red, and told me that Candy was at home in the safe. (Red didn't feel like any modern 335, that's for sure.) Could be wrong, but I think he said he said he was taking the repro to Europe.

7. HardCore Troubadour

I am pretty sure that he means that Candy is back at IT'S home in the safe......and I think that is what you meant?

to the best of my knowledge (unless something changed recently, and you keep up with that better than I do) JD still does not own that 1960.

the perks of being a world-class player!!

8. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

Yes - he doesn't own it. But I thought it was on indefinite loan. So I interpreted the "safe" comment as being in HIS safe, not the owner's safe. Definitely didn't sound (or I didn't 'hear') like he gave it back. I could be wrong. Who knows what's happened in the last few months.

9. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

Didn't he switch back to Big Red for the most and only plays the '60 LP every now and then ?

10. HardCore Troubadour

Red, that was the case the last time I saw him, he did not even bring the burst, but like I said, he did not have Big Red either, he had the CC "Approval" guitars, one of which was aged to match.

2 years ago, I had to coax him on break to play the burst the second half (she was still in the case) which is when I took the pic above.

Honestly, the 335 sounded better.....

I am like you SWS and am not certain....seems lke he also got married fairly recently?

I would guess they bought or built a place etc. etc....maybe he has a "JoeB starter kit" room in his new digs?

I know he sent the "V" back to the West Coast a good while back, but was hoping to "borrow" it again in the future.....

First World Problems :D

11. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Saw him a couple of months ago myself. He played Big red the whole show.

12. Progear

Progear Premium Member

It doesn't matter what JD plays he will still sounds amazing.. amazing video...

13. Shackenb

Shackenb Senior Member

Yeah he sounds absolute great... this gig was hard for him, two strings broke and the Super Reverb Blew up.... he was worried because of the TV recording and because of the leather jacket :)

14. Britbender

Britbender Senior Member

Whats the odds of breaking 2 d-strings...that sucks !
    He took it like a champ

15. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack Premium Member

I saw jd in nashville at roberts during namm a few years back. What a monster player and a super cool guy. Had the opprotunity to chat with him after the show about his gear and such....very genuine, nice, talented guy!!!