Silvertone 1482

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by truetone6, Jul 31, 2011.

1. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

I got this at a local store. It's a 1965 Silvertone 1482 made by Danelectro.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

Very Cool.

I Love those with the TV knobs on the side.

3. CN24

CN24 Premium Member

I had one of those up until a few years ago.It looked just like yours,same wear and rust,no foot switch though.Nice Amp.

4. Bes628

Bes628 Senior Member

Sold mine a few months ago to pay rent. Great amp...easy to get that dirty "can't you hear me knocking" tone and also covers some nice Stax/Motown ground.

5. Lurko

Lurko Senior Member

I have one of those. I modded it to use one of the extra instrument input jacks as a speaker out jack so I can run it into different speakers. Cranking that baby on 10 through an Eminence Swamp Thang is sublime!!!

And btw, swap that death cord with a properly grounded 3 prong power cord; it's dangerous the way it is wired now.

6. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Senior Member

GREAT LITTLE AMP!! Your's looks nice too. :dude:

I just picked a mint '65 up off of Craigslist two weeks ago. It even came with the carboard box it came in from Sears. It looks new and apparently sat in that box most of the last 46 years. NOS silvertone labeled RCA tubes throughout! Great little poor man's Tweed Deluxe. It's kind of a dark little beast that just gets bigger and meaner sounding the harder you hit it. It feels like a flimsy little nothing when you pick it up but it's a monster little amp. I ordered some caps for it last night. I'm planing to disconnect the multisection can and leave it in place. I'll mount axial lead types on a terminal strip in the chassis. It sounds perfect now, no hum, strong and punchy so I hate touching it but why risk killing an amp this mint. I'll just do everything so it's 100% reversable and will save everything changed in it's original box. :D Here are a few short clips of mine with pics.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLrdF4s44Nc]‪1482 jumpered Aerosmith.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6QOhUHi6U0]‪Silvertone 1482.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Lyle Caldwell likes this.
  7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Senior Member

There's "mint" and there's "time capsule."

Damn, son...

QuicksilverSS and mudfinger like this.
  8. Riffraff12571

That's exactly what I stumbled onto. The guy found it cleaning out a dead relative's house. It was buried in a spare bedroom that was used as a storage area. He grabbed the box thinking it was empty to use to pack stuff in. This is what was sitting inside still wrapped in styrofoam. The only cosmetic issue it has is a few spots where the styrofoam actually stuck to the tolex from sitting there for so damn long. I'm not sure what to use to get it off. I don't want to mess up the tolex. I just picked at it and got most of it off but there is still some on it. It looks and sounds like a brand new amp.

QuicksilverSS likes this.
  9. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories! V.I.P. Member

Wow...time warp. :shock: My first amp was a Silvertone 1482, and just seeing those pics brought back some great memories.

I STILL miss that amp, all these years later, fantastic sound. Grats, guys! :thumb:

10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I bet lighter fluid would do the trick. Try it in a hidden spot first, though, to make sure it is safe with that tolex.

11. QuicksilverSS

QuicksilverSS Senior Member

Very cool!!! My very experiance with a guitar was one my dad got when i was about 6 years old..I used to try to play it in front of the t.v when the Monkees show,and the Beatles cartoons came on. I also tried to play with the Chimpmonks sing the Beatles Tunes album.

[​IMG]

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  12. Riffraff12571

It's worth a try. Some suggested gas but it would stink forever if I did that.

13. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

14. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Senior Member

Try warm water first.

Then try spit (not kidding).

Then try Goo Gone (test on the tolex first)

Then try Naptha (lighter fluid - again, test first)

15. Riffraff12571

I will give those a try and see if I can get it clean. Hopefully I can get it all off without messing up the tolex.

Well the caps won't be to me until Monday and I just couldn't keep away from my little screamer.

A few more clips.....

Modern Country

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UMVslwn1Vs"]‪'65 Silvertone with Deluxe Strat_1.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

& Rock

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgxY7D5n5_w"]‪'65 Silvertone 1482 with RG520QSB.wmv‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

16. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

Wow that is awesome congrats! Mine isn't as nice but it plays good. The only thing is it doesn't have the original speaker. It has a Celestion Rocket 50 in it. I would like to find a speaker like the one in your amp. Do you think one of these would be close? I think they are CTS Alnico 12" speakers. I think the model is 12 B 15

[​IMG]

17. EvLectric

EvLectric Senior Member

That was my first amp too. My brother got mad at me & drop-kicked it across the room & busted out the speaker & baffle board, but Mom made him get me a new speaker, which I couldn't install because of the baffle. I kept that orange painted Realistic branded Utah in a cardboard box with a jack on it, and the amp still sounded better than before(which was wonderful)! Tone wise, I'd keep the Celestion myself. But that original one sure sounds good!

18. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

The 1482 is one of my favorite amps, This one looks great and a cool score !!! Try "Goo off" or a large eraser to do the removal .

19. truetone6

truetone6 Senior Member

Is this the same speaker as the one in the 1482 below?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Riffraff12571

The original speaker was a Alinco 12" made by Fisher. I would think a CTS version would sound fine depending on the frequesncy response of the speaker. That Jensen would make a real good replacement too. Probably even better than the other. I've heard a decent speaker and a new baffle board make a world of difference in these amps. I would like to connect my 425A cab to the 4 ohm tap. I bet it would sound amazing.