Signature les pauls - just a cash cow?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Cookie-boy, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Is it just me or have we got to the stage where almost anybody who has a high enough profile will get a signature guitar regardless of their talent or longevity in the music business, and I'm not just citing Gibson here. Are we at the stage where it really is just all about marketing and money?

In addition are we then seeing the devaluation of more "Worthy" signature instruments that hard working guitar players have bought in this ever increasing headlong chase by the manufacturers for another dollar?

I made a fairly crass comment earlier today along the lines of "Well, if Justin Hawkins can have a signature why not the Jonas Brothers?" but in reality was that really too far from the truth?

AXE likes this.
  2. Huey

Huey Senior Member

the jonas brothers deserve their own gibson sg, les paul, explorer, v, and firebird :dude: :lol:

3. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

It's always been about marketing.

4. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

Exactly. Always has been, always will be.

5. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

As long as they keep selling why would Gibson care?
    The ultimate bottom line is $$.

6. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I agree with cookie-boy.

Gibson even had a Kiefer Sutherland sig about two years ago. Now I have nothing against Kiefer Sutherland, I think he's a fine actor and I love "24" but come on!!

It was at the height of "24"s popularity, soooooooooooo,,,,it's always about the money isn't it.

7. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

Ethics and integrity seem to always take a back seat when name recognition is all it takes to sell a guitar or anything else for that matter. Remember the guitar is whats great about gibson(I cant vouch for current production runs), not the corporation.

8. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

Self respect??

9. goby

goby Senior Member

It wasn't a signature guitar, it was an "Inspired By" guitar. Here's the press release:

The Gibson Custom Shop has announced the launch of the “Inspired By” series limited-edition collection of guitars inspired by and built to the exact specifications of some of the most innovative guitarists of all time.

Yep, that's Kiefer!!!

10. ledfree

ledfree Senior Member

If people buy'em they goin' to keep on making 'em. Not only Gibson to.

11. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

Wow... You love those controversial subjects ehh Cookie ??? ... While I think the signature lines are overpriced , a good number of them have been very nice guitars like the Jimmy Pages and the Rossington models !!! If you think about it isn't about 5k for an R9 outta control ??? :wow:

12. SmokestackElRopo

SmokestackElRopo Senior Member

What used to be a guitar Gawd, Has been watered down with to many no talent bands. There are only a few still left from way back but to their credit they keep marching on. Think Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Alvin Lee and so on.

13. tomaburque

tomaburque Senior Member

Gibson isn't the worst for over-pricing "signature" models. Fender is. Leo Fender's guitars were designed from the beginning to be inexpensive to manufacture. Look at this over-priced stuff:

Fender Custom Shop Solid Body Guitars | Sweetwater.com

Who pays $4k for a Strat with David Gilmour's name on the headstock?

14. ehamady6

ehamady6 Senior Member

I liked my Gibson Zakk Wylde before the neck started twisting. I thought the bullseye paintjob was very well done, the shaved neck was very fast, and it sounded great. My only complaint, other than the twisting neck, was that it weighed a ton but that didn't have anything to do with the quality of the instrument.

I got Zakk to autograph the back of the headstock and that's what raised its value and is what allowed me to trade it in straight up for my new black Custom even though its neck was twisted. The ZW signature guitar was a stepping stone to eventually getting the best guitar I have ever played -- my #1 which I modded using John Sykes' Custom as the model. I always loved what he did to his Custom when he was in Thin Lizzy (at Phil Lynott's suggestion). So signature Les Pauls have a special place in my heart regardless of the $$$ because they are a part of my growing up and a part of my evolution as a player.

[​IMG]

15. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

Stocholders don't care about ethics and integrity. As a matter of fact even small businesses don't care either. It's profit. The only reason for a business to exist is to turn a profit. Anything else is a charity or a hobby. It's unfortunate but the days of doing something because it's the right thing to do are over. If you try to do that in todays business climate you will be chewed up and spit out by others who are in it for the money. As for "self respect", corporations have no soul and therefore are incapable of feeling any emotion at all.

16. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Bottom line is if people weren't buying them, companies would not be making them. I really don't care if Gibson and Fender are cleaning up on these guitars, they're in business to make money. More power to them, I would never buy one though. I think they are a HUGH ripoff, they give you a couple of different features that cost them very little, and they charge thousands extra.

If someone is foolish enough to pay $4000 for a Strat that has a few hundred dollars worth of upgrades that's their business.

I choose not to do it.

17. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

It's already a signature model- Les Paul's. All these celebrities are playing his guitar, now I don't see a problem with limited run of built to some players preferred specs, but everyone and their dog can get a signature LP nowadays, just show up play a few crappy songs, get noticed by Disney and you are good.

The only signature attached to the LP should be Les Paul......

18. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

LOL...The Les Paul name was first attached to it for marketing.

19. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

Exactly, it's already marketed as a signature model, why add another signature to it
    seems stupid to me, but then again I am not some giant corporate greed monster either.

And tell me again why a replica of a $269.00 guitar made 50 years ago owned and played by some joe guitar player of band x is worth 20+ times what the original sold for? Vintage specs, how about some vintage pricing............

20. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Yes it is, way too much. But I'm an old guitar lover and I'm forever comparing these new prices with what you could buy for....... well, let's take the $5K. I dunno maybe I'm wrong but I think for that money I could find a nicely matured early '70's Olympic White staggered pole Strat (don't have one, always wanted one). A REAL nice "greened up" Les Paul Deluxe GT from '72-'73 vintage, a top of the tree late '60's 335 in the Cherry, maybe a '69 white guard Tele (bit border line that one), a stonking 3 pup Les paul Custom Black Beauty from 74-76 or what I'd probably go for is a pre-CBS Jazzmaster because I had a beauty 20 years ago and I pissed her away and I truly miss her. By the way, f**k the banks give an old guitar a second chance!!

Oh, and yes I think the Jimmy Page's are lovely....seriously.:thumb: