Sigil Bluesman pickups review

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Caretaker, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

OK, here we go.
    This will be a no bullshit and no punches pulled review.
    Double cream set with nickel covers.
    Installed in an 05 R8.
    These are very articulate meaning I hear every note in a chord.
    No bleed or mush.
    The bridge pickup is Very in your face without being obnoxious. Crisp and clear.

The neck pickup is very jazz like in that it`s subtle but articulate. You hear every note but it`s understated. Almost like it was wound for someone playing Steely Dan type solos.I should note that this has a .015 cap. Bridge has a .022.

The middle position is very country like.
    While these are very PAFish, they are more later PAF/early Pat# type. Great for blues, jazz or straight ahead rock.
    With your amp, your tone will certainly differ but the tones I am getting are as follows.
    More Dickey than Duane.
    More Beck than Page
    Absolutely NAILS Bloomfield and Kirwin.
    Clean they are very acoustic like with an almost 3D to the note. Bloom and shimmer are not correct but I can`t seem to come up with a word that fits.
    Add some gain and you are right there in Humble Pie land.
    IMO these would sound even better in a semi hollow 335 type guitar than they do in a Les Paul.

The only thing missing that I would like is that throaty, almost cocked wah tone. Woman tone is there but could be better. I think if the actual wind were a little looser for 30%(25-40 and again at 60-75%) they would be right there but that is my opinion based on what I know about pickups and NOT a complaint.

Some here know me and what I like. I will only change these out for 4 sets of pickups:
    Throbaks(I can`t afford them)
    Wizz(Can`t afford them either)
    REAL PAFs(REALLY can`t afford them and these are better than some I`ve tried.)
    A wind I used to use that don`t have anymore and for personal reasons will probably never have again).

Having said that, these might very well go back in after trying the above mentioned pickups.
    For those on the fence about the last few that are for sale as the intro special, JUMP ON THEM.
    If I had another guitar, I would order another set.

One more thing. I have not played with height, screws, etc yet. Pickups are flush with the rings. Tones may improve with some tinkering when time and hands allow.

I hope this helps. I tried to be as honest as possible.

EDIT******Organic and earthy liken they are actually from the wood is how I was trying to describe the note abover where I couldn`t find the right words.******

2. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Senior Member

That's great. I know what I like, but it doesn't always translate well to what other people are looking for in a pickup set. It's nice to see it articulated, and coming from you this is high praise.

Great review, and I'm really glad you liked them and they worked well in that R8.

1 person likes this.

3. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Thanks for taking the time to post this, and more importantly, thanks for giving my pickups a go!

I don't want to influence people with my opinions so I don't say it in my sale threads, but my inspiration for these is definitely in the Bloomfield territory... seeing it put out there brings a smile to my face :) I've been into the Super Sessions album for a while and just love his sound there! He'll never endorse them so they're not Bloomfields, but I thought the Bluesman is a nice general enough name.

Here's my inspiration, just wish I had the chops!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHFPVOEKEfA]Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills - Super Session - 01 - Albert's Shuffle - YouTube[/ame]

3 people like this.

4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Excellent revue. Bloomfield you say? Kirwin? NICE. :thumb:

1 person likes this.

5. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Yes, very clean through a Fenderish amp.
    I think it was Bloomfield that said "Learn the value of a note."
    Now I understand what he meant.

3 people like this.

6. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Go listen to Really in the Clean Les Paul thread. THAT is the clean tone I`m now getting.
    Nevermind, here it is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31EMHS65Nf0

1 person likes this.

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

I tweaked the pickup height and screws a little. These have a very subtle airiness to them and with a heavy attack the bridge gets nice and nasty(think I Don`t Need No Doctor from Rockin the Fillmore).

1 person likes this.

8. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

I keep getting killer tones from these. I just have to decide where to set them and leave them alone. I like tweaking height a lot. LOL

1 person likes this.

9. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

Not that these NEED anything, but I have some magnets coming my way in a few days(A2 and A5). I may try swapping the mags in these to see what else they can do.
    Any suggestions as to what I should expect?

1 person likes this.

10. CheopisIV

Haha, good to hear! I got myself an all mahogany Studio Faded LP to test with and put on;

- a set of historic rings
    - wiring harness from Vintage Relic with 500k CTS pots and vintage bees in 50's style.
    - 10-46 D'addario strings
    - Bluesman set #1

I find my preference is the bridge right flush to the ring and the neck slightly lower, but just a touch. Couldn't sound better! I also have fairly low action on this guitar so really, it all depends :p

11. CheopisIV

Put the A2 in the bridge and A5 in the neck!

You'll get a bit less articulation and might warm the bridge up a hair (depends on the magnet's charge) and the A5 will scoop some of the mids from the neck while emphasizing bass and treble response.
    :dude:

I do like that combo and am working on another wind that compliments those magnets in those positions :naughty:

12. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

I`ll have 2 A5`s. What will an A5 do to the bridge?

1 person likes this.

13. CheopisIV

Should add chirp and might hollow it out a bit as well. I'm not a big A5 bridge kind of guy but it might do the trick for you... I'd definitely try a different coil config if I was forced into an A5 :) or maybe degauss it a bit in this set.

14. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

These pickups are currently in an R8 I have for sale in the Emporium section.