Show your amp!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by VictorLazarus, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Stonehead

Stonehead Senior Member

My Traynor YBA-1 Mod1 and matching 2x12 with V30's. One of the best sounding amps I've ever owned.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. nick1962

nick1962 Senior Member

There you go!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Byron999

Byron999 Senior Member

most recent pic, Jubenville 10w and Daisycutter 18w .....each into a Celestion G12H 70th anniv. (as of last week, they don't have to share a cab anymore :D)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. nickb_boy

nickb_boy Senior Member

Little updated pics got sent my way now it's been filled with some Satellite magic. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

Just picked her up for $250. Reverb no worky. I can fix that.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. lwk5150

lwk5150 Senior Member

Looking into a Fargen mini-plex myself - how much of an upcharge was the custom cabinet on yours? think it looks nicer than the stock ones. How do you like it? Been going back and forth between the mini-plex and Olde 800.

7. VerbalPuke

VerbalPuke Senior Member

This is an Orange solid state, 60 watt amp, one of the newer ones released in 2013. I dug the crunch I was getting from this, it definitely sounded like it was right for me. Mind you, I've been playing for about ten months now, so what do I know? Cleans are real nice as well, the reverb on this is pretty sweet, paired with my Fender Marauder it can definitely get you close to those Dick Dale tones. I'm giddy to see how my soon to arrive Les Paul will sound on it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

You know what sounds good to you. And really, that's ALL that matters.

1 person likes this.
  9. hecube

hecube Senior Member

Yeah, he could have done real worse after ten months.

10. VerbalPuke

VerbalPuke Senior Member

Very true on both points, I just want to stay humble is all.

And yeah with that being my first amp, my thinking was to get something really good, that I could gig with immediately. I figure getting a small practice amp may have not been the best idea because it wouldnt be long before I wanted a good upgrade. At the same time, I didn't want to break the bank on some elaborate set up that got into the thousands. So I went with the happy medium, and that amp is one hell of a halpy medium, I'll never get rid of that thing.

11. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

It was the same MSRP as stock Mini Plex Mk2... I emailed Marc Reisen via Fargen Amps website and asked if they could make the shell to look like a Marshall bluesbreaker.... The combo comes with a WGS Reaper (G12H30 equivalent), I swapped mine with WGS Green Beret (Greenback equivalent). I just love the aggressive midrange snarl of the Green Beret.

Tone-wise... Fat, chunky tones with plenty of sustain and great upper harmonic content... Mine has plenty of gain on tap, and I never really have to boost with OD.... It is quite loud for a 12-watt tube amp.... The amp is pedal-friendly... The Mini Plex takes any octal power tubes without biasing, being a single-ended Class A... I ran JJ 6V6, but I mess around with TungSol el34 or Shuguang el34b.

My Granger V20 Nitro is modded by Ben Fargen, based on my specs.... Now this thing is a growling 20-watt monster... The Normal Volume is now a 1959SLP, the Lead Volume is JCM800....

1 person likes this.
  12. frisco

frisco Senior Member

this amp looks sweet!

13. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

My first amp was a Fender Japan SVE-20CD 20W solid state with tube preamp ... sounded horrible, so gutted it and put a Triode Electronics Vibro Champ kit inside ... sounded more "real" (i.e. tubey), but the speakers were the problem. Rather than get a pair of quality 8" speakers, I got a tweed cab with a nice 10" Weber, and custom aluminum chassis. Problem Solved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was to build a 5E3 Deluxe clone, later added PPMIV and VVR for a little bit of attenuation. Carefully used together, I can get DX goodness without hearing loss.

[​IMG]

Fun build based on the Fender 5C1 Champ ... a bit noisy, but sounds great dimed with humbuckers!

[​IMG]

There have been a few in between that didn't work out, but my most recent build is great with single coils or humbuckers, and loves any pedal I have ... Princeton Reverb clone with added Dwell (more like Presence, actually).

[​IMG]

Main speaker cab is an oversized 1 X 12, nearly the size of a 212. Made open and closed back panels for versatility. Have used a 1956 Jensen P12Q and modern P12R AlNiCo speakers with open back, and recently a Celestion G12EVH (a made in England G12M Heritage with EVH sticker on the back) with the closed back. Any of those three sound fantastic for blues!! I was building this thing when the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear plant disaster hit 200 miles north of me, and in a fit of dark humor, made the brass grill and back panel cutout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  14. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Banned

It looks great!

15. David Garner

David Garner Senior Member

I have a few.

The "Marshall" (Ceriatone 18 Watt clone):

[​IMG]

The "Fender" (Oldfield Club D'Lux, Deluxe Reverb clone):

[​IMG]

The Mesas (Express 5:50 1x12 and Express 5:25 1x10):

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Licks

Licks Senior Member

Here's my 1991 Fender Bassman RI. We're actually the same age, only I look a bright side better for my age. She's got quad 10" alnico speakers, all hand picked tubes, solid state rectifier was replaced for a tube rectifier and she's been modified for a bias pot. This baby looks and sounds just like the real deal, but was only a fraction of the cost. Talk about mojo! It came all beat up from a hard life of gigging around Aus. You just gotta love those cigarette burns right!?

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  17. hecube

hecube Senior Member

Lucky thing you're in Australia... :naughty:

18. 101ABN327

101ABN327 Senior Member

JCM 800 Half Stack!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

My main live amp - DRRI with Mercury Magnetics iron / JJ tubes / Celestion G-12 30 speaker

[​IMG]

My big amp - 100 watt Ceriatone HRM / Mercury Magnetics iron into a custom Fusco 2x12 cab loaded with Celestion G-12 65 speakers

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.