Show us your 90's made Korean Les Pauls!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by MASSMARK, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Unsung Heroes

Unsung Heroes MLP Vendor

In all honesty Dan, I find the stock tuners absolutely fine. We use two Epi Les Pauls live - a 2001 Standard with the Deluxe Tulips and a 2003 Classic with Grover Rotomatics - and they both hold tune really well all gig long [​IMG]

Most tuning issues are caused by poor windings and nuts, so provided your tuners aren't knackered, all will be dandy [​IMG]

Some guys happen to like locking tuners or just the 'in use feel' of other options - so if those appeal to you, then go for it... but again, it's not essential IMHO

2. danmayberry

danmayberry Junior Member

Ok Clive I will leave it til you have a look

2 people like this.
  3. shaky town

shaky town Senior Member

Hi,
    Here's one from a few days ago from GC in Nashua, NH. I saw it on the used rack, and did not know it was a MIK axe till the guy said so. The guitar is 99.9% as good as my Gibson 2013 LP Std. I even got them to throw in a nice Levy strap, $299 out the out door (no case).
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. guitarshredder19

guitarshredder19 Junior Member

Picked it up a couple days ago, traded my epi les Paul 100 and a cheap strat for it at a local music store, a 1999 Korean standard with hard case.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

Mid 90's standard most likely. The SN fell off a long time ago.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

Some nice guitars in this thread.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. RandyRhoadsLesPaul

RandyRhoadsLesPaul Senior Member

Got yourself a Peter Greeny sound?

8. markbastable

markbastable Strange kind of blues-coloured moon Premium Member

Saein Plant, Korea, January 1998​
    [​IMG]

9. Rev70700

Rev70700 Member

here is mine, 93' korean standard goldtop. but i don't have it anymore, it got stolen, so it's technically not mine huh :(

[​IMG]

10. Boston Custom Pro

Boston Custom Pro Junior Member

1993 which I bought for 200 sold for 400 on reverb , regret it :(

but I just scored a 2004 with OHSC for $100 on local sale app lol ,sold the case in 3 days for $60 = $40 dollar black beauty, looks the same but needs pups and wiring replaced , they work but you know
    (pics to come)

I'm looking for a easy drop in pre wired kit 300K volume/500 Tone
    switch out all the wiring if anyone has any suggestions

Attached Files:

11. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

I've put a Jonesy Blues 50s harness in at least 5 LPs so far. I put one in every guitar I plan to gig with.

12. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

I just build my own. Literally takes a few more minutes than soldering just the pickup leads in place.

13. EmBit

EmBit Junior Member

[FONT=&quot]Here is my ’96 Samick Custom. Got it last Autumn used for c. 250$. It came with some strange home-made wiring and Rockinger PAF-ect humbuckers. Since then it got modern Gibson wiring, CTS and Burns, Gibson 490R and 498T, tusq graphtech. It have a lot of scars, etc. but it’s a real battle-axe. Love it!! Probably I’ll change something more, but now have to collect $ for a sister (Bohemian Cherry or Wine-Red Custom – will have photos next week:cool:
    Mateusz
    [/FONT]

Attached Files:

14. Britjoe

Britjoe Junior Member

my 1999 12 string

Attached Files:

15. unmc2001

unmc2001 Member

Attached Files:

16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Senior Member

I'm not quite sure when mine was made, though I know I bought it in 1995 as a 30th birthday present to myself. :) No idea how long it had been hanging in the shop before I bought it.

I've had to replace the bridge as it bent, plus I replaced the harness/pots/switch due to crackles. I've been debating buying a 2017 Gibson Standard T but having tried one last week I actually feel more comfortable playing my Epiphone.

I was playing the Standard T through a Marshall Mini Jubilee head, which I bought and then tried my Epiphone through when I got it home and this just confirmed that I could do with some brighter sounding pickups. I'm going to fit a mix of Bareknuckle Mule (neck) and Riff Raff (bridge) and get the frets dressed as they are a little worn after 21 years playing.

I saw a similar one for sale at a UK shop and they were after £275 for it with buckle rash and some chips to the finish, so I know mine isn't worth much so wouldn't be worth trading in for the Standard T. Mine is pretty much unmarked...I can't help it but I just look after my guitars and always pull my tee shirt out over my belt buckle.

Hopefully some one can confirm the age of mine from the serial number shown in the pictures. :)

Attached Files:

17. 07rogersg

07rogersg Senior Member

It was made in the Samick factory, maybe an 88? pretty clean for what it is. It was called the tomato soup burst or something like that at the time as the finish wasn't very popular.

18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Senior Member

Sounds like it must have been hanging around a long time in the shop when I bought it then as it was all sealed up as new, still with the celophane wraper on the pickguard. I've seen a modern £2k+ Gibson that is advertised as 'Tomato soup burst' and often thought it looked similar to mine in colour.

The binding, pick up covers and pickguard have turned more cream coloured over the years, so it's aged nicely without looking like I've done a relic job on it.

It's only 6 years younger than my JV Squier Strat then which I've owned from new 1982.

19. unmc2001

unmc2001 Member

How can you tell what factory the guitar was made at. Mine has this number on back.

Attached Files:

20. 07rogersg

07rogersg Senior Member

The misaligned tuners are a characteristic of the Samick factory, serial number appears to date that at 1991. I've yet to see a Korean made Epi with a stickered serial no that hasn't come out of the Samick plant.