Show us your 90's made Korean Les Pauls!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by MASSMARK, Mar 27, 2011.

1. MASSMARK

MASSMARK Senior Member

Being a happy owner of a 96 Cherry sunburst, I would love to see other Epi owners of the same time period. Show us your 90s Epi Les Paul's including a little mention of how you came about yours and any modifications if any??

Got the popcorn out ready.....looking forward to this! Lol.

2. Standard

Standard Senior Member

98 standard plus top, got it for christmas years and years ago, made in the saien plant in november of 98 (the saien plant was presented the ‘The Best Quality Award of the Year’ by Gibson Epiphone USA in 1998 and 1999.:dude:) threw in some gibson pickups (i know they dont match the bridge but they sound nice and were free also some zebra SDs are on the way so im not too worried about it) also the other day i got bored at work and pulled the chip off
    [​IMG]

pettz and Hack like this.
  3. MASSMARK

MASSMARK Senior Member

That is one awesome flame top. Can I see the headstock? Just out of interest has yours any inconsistencies/flaws? I notice that most 90s Epi's have the knobs set a little too high. They are on mine too.

4. Standard

Standard Senior Member

thank you it actually looks better in person because the outside of the burst is a really dark brown and some of the best flame is being hidden in that picture by the finish/lighting combo.

it does have a couple flaws, nothing major and in fact i never really noticed them until recently such as: the neck pickup is just a tiny bit off center and yes the knobs are a little tall but nothing crazy and it actually makes it a little easier to make quick adjustments since i dont have the speed knobs, also the nut was not glued in when i got it and the original wiring and soldering looked like it was done by a child but these are all just little stupid things that are either fixable or dont matter. all in all a great guitar for the money and with the changes it sounds better than a gibson i used to have

[​IMG]
    sorry i couldnt get the lighting right and this pic looks pretty crappy

now throw up a big pic of that 96 cherry burst, this show ain't free

5. MASSMARK

MASSMARK Senior Member

:naughty:Sure why not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've posted these and more in another recent thread, but this just gives me an excuse to show them again. Mine has the odd flaw here and there, truss rod cover wasn't positioned straight, the tuning pegs are not perfectly in line from left side compared to right side, a couple of fretboard inlays not perfectly positioned straight, but I only notice these things because I'm very picky.:hmm:

6. Diocletian

Diocletian Senior Member

On the right, a '96. Seymour Duncan A2Pro bridge, 59 neck. I'm seriously thinking of putting a black bridge and tailpiece on it, cream rings and pickguard and black pickups. I have a Duncan Custom/Custom 5 and an A2Pro ready to go in if I want to do it.
    I also put a set of Kluson tuners in it, out a Gibson LP Standard (the same tuners as are on my Studio in the pic).

It has triple binding (I mean three black lines, rather than two) on the headstock which is apparently pretty rare.

[​IMG]
    P1010020 by stormwatch1977, on Flickr

t had a Duncan Phat Cat in the middle at this point as I planned on rewiring it to be able to select each pickup on its own, but never bothered so sold the Phat Cat and put a cheaper Wilkinson thing in which actually works great with the Duncan A2Pro.

[​IMG]
    DSC08031 by stormwatch1977, on Flickr

7. Diocletian

Diocletian Senior Member

That has a sweet top on it! (you've got the neck 'bucker in the wrong way round though ;) )

8. Slashpo

Slashpo Junior Member

94 Birdseye from Samick Plant, all parts have been changed by myself exept mother of pearl (done by my luthier)
    SD Aph-1 zebra
    Wilkinson tuners
    All electronics parts
    Buttons
    Cost 1400$ if all were new, but it doesn't so near 900$
    Sorry for my english, hope you'll all understand what i'm talking about lol

[​IMG]

9. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

Does an 89 MIK count?

Before, with a blinding mirror gloss finish:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Removed all stock hardware and dulled down the shiny poly finish:
    [​IMG]
    Upgrade completed with SD Jazz and JB pickups, Gotoh nickel bridge, Gotoh aluminum tailpiece, new toggle, new jack, Jonesy 50s wiring harness and speed knobs:
    [​IMG]
    Found the old pickguard, warped in a box out in the garage.
    [​IMG]
    Baked it in the oven for a couple minutes and flattened it right out:
    [​IMG]
    Changed strings from 9s to 10s with a top wrap and its good to go for gigging. Its now up to par with my other two Gibsons.
    [​IMG]

tele-bastard and Hack like this.
  10. The_E_Ticket

The_E_Ticket Junior Member

Mine is a 91 or 92 MIK. I peeled the Serial Sticker off of the headstock way back when I bought it (on the early MIK LP's, the serial was on by sticker only). I bought it new in '92, but I don't know how long it was in the store so I call it a 91/92. I paid $429 for it back then with the case. This is still my go to guitar 20 years later :). It is completly untouched from new (other than strings of course)......zero mods.

Attached Files:

GERRYGTR62 likes this.
  11. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

1996 Epi GT my very first Les Paul. Added a Tusq nut, Gotoh bridge, GFS Fat PAF bridge p'up and GFS Vintage 59 neck p'up. Ended up selling it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 69chargerse

69chargerse Senior Member

You're English is just fine! Beautiful guitar!

13. Standard

Standard Senior Member

thanks, and yeah i know when i installed the new pickups i mounted the pickup into the ring the wrong way and just said screw it and strung it up. it sounded pretty good just as it was and then after adjusting the pole pieces i actually really like the tone its kind of different and i have no plans of changing it back

14. Slashpo

Slashpo Junior Member

Thanks a lot 69chargerse

15. Standard

Standard Senior Member

i agree that thing is gorgeous and it's something you don't see often

16. Slashpo

Slashpo Junior Member

Thanks guys !!! I know i'm lucky cause these guitar are rare

17. purevilpleasure

purevilpleasure Senior Member

18. Standard

Standard Senior Member

wow i like the top on that LP i also like the F-150 step-side but i'll try to stick to guitars

19. paulygates

paulygates Senior Member

Nice Birdseye, Slashpo.

I've got one. Great guitar! I'd post a pic but I can't be arsed to find one. It looks like yours anyway, with amber knobs and pickguard. She's topwrapped and has burstbuckers and RS vintage kit.

20. Hack

Hack Senior Member