Show me your Gibson Quickconnect control cavity.

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by WhatDoIKnow, Feb 16, 2013.

1. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Senior Member

I opened up the control cavity of the 2013 LPJ because I am wanting to try a different pup to replace the 498T. I am well aware that Gibson is using a PCB and that is not the issue. I was hoping to put on plug on the new pup to connect to the PCB. What I found was this:

[​IMG]

I was expecting to find the pup connectors using a two wire plug like the output jack connector. Like in the image below.

[​IMG]

Replacement Gibson Quickconnect pups come with the two wire plug, like the picture below.

[​IMG]

Are the 2013 models all like this? Anyone know a source or part number for the white pup connector in my first pic?

Show me yours. :naughty:

2. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Senior Member

I don't know the exact part # for these, but you can get the plug & pins at Mouser electronics. These are called Molex connectors. The site is a little hard to navigate (if you don't have an electronics degree). There have been several discussions of this here, so you might try the search engine to see if there's a link to this exact part.
    Good luck.

3. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

I use these for quick connect- traditional components, though.Solderless Pin/Socket Pair the link shows them about double size --the pin is around 1/32" diameter. I use clear heatshrink on them for extra insurance against vibration separation.

I found a place and bought near half as many pairs as Acme says it has on hand-pennies to their dollar. Unfortunately I have been stumped finding where I got them-was near St. Louis, MO.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Throbak, Skatterbrane, and some other companies offer the quick-connect option. I'm an anti-PCBite and think they may be the creation of robots seeking world domination, LOL! Well, that may be a bit dramatic but I'd definitely go with PIO and 50's wiring.

5. WhatDoIKnow

Using Google I had found the Mouser Part #s for the connectors in my third pic. I have not been able to find part numbers for the smaller white connectors I actually have in my guitar.

6. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

I saw some similar mini pins on Mouser, but couldn't figure out price for pin and socket in units of 100's.

7. DPaulCustom

DPaulCustom Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  8. WhatDoIKnow

9. DHart

DHart Senior Member

2012 Les Paul Standard (Trans Amber finish)
    [​IMG]

2012 Les Paul Studio (Wine Red finish)
    [​IMG]

2012 Les Paul Traditional - Mahogany - (Satin-Mahogany Brown finish)
    [​IMG]

10. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I offer both the 5 pin and 2 pin versions. For some reason, some guitars without the need for 4 conductors, are still using the 5 pin version, even though there is no push-pull pots for coil splitting or phasing etc. I have no idea why, unless it is just to make the PCBs more universal to cut costs.

11. leocuellar

leocuellar Senior Member

12. SunDog

SunDog Member

Reverse Quick-Connect adapters:

For anyone who may be interested I have made a few pairs of "reverse" quick-connect 4-conductor (5-wire) adapters. These work with Gibson 4-conductor (5-wire) quick-connect pickups, like the '57 Classics I have, and can be used to connect your quick-connect pickups to a conventional harness without having to clip off the ends of your quick-connect pups. Just connect your quick-connect plug into the adapter, and solder the adapter wires as you would normally (standard wiring, coil-tap, phase, series/parallel, etc).

I have them on ebay right now, but if you see this post loooong after the listing ends and are interested in a pair, just send me a message thru the forum. I can even make you a custom color-coded set to match your DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, or other pickup manufacturer.

Thx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thx,
    SunDog

4 people like this.
  13. jdiogon

jdiogon Junior Member

Hi guys

I'm sorry I'm not sure to have understood all of what has been said here.
    I'm missing some pictures too.

I'd like to connect a 57 Classic and a 57 Classic Plus instead of the Burstbucker Pros that I have in my Les Paul Standard.
    They are 2-conductors pickups (or at least the Plus does not exists with 4-conductors).
    On the PCB in the guitar, there are 5-pin connectors for the pickups.

I'd like to keep the PCB and the 5-pin connection to be able to switch back easily.

It seems that someone here knows how to connect (which cable goes where) a 2-conductor pickup into the 5-pin connector.

I can buy the connectors and do a little bit of work of course, but I don't know the exact schematic.

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks !

14. Mr. Satchmo

Mr. Satchmo Senior Member

Just solder them on normally, I've seen people do that on the PCB, and it worked.

15. jdiogon

jdiogon Junior Member

But there should be a way to put the 5-pin connector on a 2-conductors pickup, right ?

16. Bluespower

Bluespower Senior Member

my lord what has this world come to. the kids today will never develop any soldering skills
    nor learn how to read a basic schematic.

my fondest memories of working on and moddin guitars is when my hand was shaking so bad with the solering iron all worried about effing it up that i burned myself

then plug it it and nothing works and get a quick education on what a cold joint does to electrons. :)

17. jdiogon

jdiogon Junior Member

I solder, in pedals and such.
    I have no issue with schematics.
    I just don't want to in this particular case because there is a connector and I would like to use it because it could be convenient (and that's the reason why they exist).

Not sure that it can lead to conclusions about what "this world has come to" :)

In the mean time, I found a clear explanation from Gibson about how to connect pickups to their 5-pin connector, in case it can help "kids" like me ;-) :
    gibson connect.jpg

18. jbrew1977

jbrew1977 Senior Member

Funny thing is all the "old guys" that ask the same question or gripe about how it complicates pickup swaps. Wire cutters? Check! Soldering iron? Check! Black tape? Check! Snip! Strip, splice, solder, tape. Man that was SOOOOOOOO hard! I'm 38 so guess I'm in between! Glad you found the info from Gibson.

19. tjdjr1

tjdjr1 Member

Where can I get the connector that Gibson uses and just put it on new pickup whichever brand. and then plug it into the pcb ? I guess from reading the 2 and 5 are different. since I don't tap then my five pin could have only the ground and hot going to it and the tap wires connected together correct? I have a 2017 SG and it's the only guitar I have with the pcb and would rather add a connector to a pickup than to tear out and re-wire. I have the small white connector in this SG. thanks, Tom

20. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Senior Member

If you don't have or aren't using push pull pots for coil splitting...just solder the hot lead from the new pickup to the pot "input" tab and ground to the Gibson copper ground.

Easy.