Should I trade my Kemper for an Helix?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by ricky1918, Nov 13, 2017.

1. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I have both, and the Helix has been on par for sound quality and miles ahead in ease of use. I’m contemplating selling my kemper. That said you need to be content with the models available, whereas the kemper is a unlimited revolving door of amps! I’ll probably keep both, but if I could do it again I’d have just done the helix first and Tried not to let GAS get me on the kemper :laugh2:

2. matthew bear

The helix was merely for bringing to practice, just to streamline my rig, but since I had to make the patches at home for the band, I found that I had begun to prefer it. I think once you get past the novelty of a certain dream amp and focus on the sounds in a more utilitarian way, it can be quite liberating... the helix makes good sound, simple.

Pop1655, mmd and mdubya like this.
  3. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

this is one of the things I'm most worried about (beside feel/actual sound).

When I used to have a HD500X I was putting a lot of effects in my patches just because its modeling wasn't sounding good enough.

I'm worried I'd end up the same way with the Helix

4. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

Pop1655 likes this.
  5. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I wish the volume was the same between the two, Would make evaluation easier.

6. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

Both are acceptable and I could live with either. Sorta depends on your ears and what you prefer. Like frankV says the volume diffs make comparisons a bit tough since the brain tends to like more volume better....up to a point. The first sounds a bit crisper vs the second(could be volume related) but both are good.

AmpedUp likes this.
  7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

100%

I have yet to come across a model in the Helix that sounds "bad". I have used everyone of them for something - even just making tones to inspire writing a certain style. It's a great sounding piece of gear capable of SOOO much. The sounds are always pleasing, and easy to dial in.

matthew bear likes this.
  8. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

You gotta shake the HD500X out of your thought process!!!!

I could have lived with the 500X just fine. I could have perfected my patch and been set. I think they're a good piece.

But !!!!!!!.... What you are specifically mentioning here IS the difference between the 500X and a Helix.
    They're just not in the same ballpark.

I can't comment on the Kemper comparison. They may very well be better. I'm not saying "Helix all the way".

I'm just saying HD500X and Helix aren't brothers. Distant cousins at best.

dissaffected likes this.
  9. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Umm, what exactly are you basing that on? I have read of very little reliability issues with Helix and I follow the modelling forums very frequently. Just saying.

10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

The first one sounds fine for the volume. The louder one sounds even better (possibly due to the volume).

11. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

I put it together in a hurry, sorry :/

First one is the Helix, second is the Kemper. It might sound better because of the volume, but I find it more "airy", natural, the Helix sounds a little bit too "focused" on the mids for me.

Guitar is a 1980 Burny SG with Gibson 490R, only neck played.

If the KPA keeps giving me problems I'll send it to the techs and have it fixed or even better swapped (I don't know how it works and doubt they do such thing tho), worst case scenario I sell it and get a new one in the future.

I'd like to try the AxeFx and Helix but can't afford to get them together with the KPA, and don't want to go thru the hassle of selling and buying stuff just to try it out!

dissaffected likes this.
  12. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

A 67 VS Super Bettle with fuel Injection would be a better deal for you..

13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

If possible, I would share my concerns with Kemper and let them take care of the unit you have. They sound great, you like they way it sounds, and Kemper doesn't have a bad rep, at all. It sounds like yours might have been mishandled in delivery or something. Either way, best of luck. :yesway:

matthew bear likes this.
  14. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I had both at the same time and after about 6 weeks I settled on the Kemper. I liked the models better and I wanted a desktop solution not a floorboard.

Don't get me wrong, the Helix was fantastic, but for my purposes the Kemper won hands down. And I have not had the slightest glitch with mine.

matthew bear likes this.
  15. matthew bear

I’ll note that my kemper has been totally solid as well... that’s good and bad news for the OP, depending on how you look at it. This is the first bad kemper I’ve heard about.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  16. matthew bear

For desktop, I agree the kemper is better. I just happened to find myself playing with folks again. Having the kemper sitting on my desk increased my playing 10 fold when I picked it up last year, and I’ll always be grateful for that :)

Sp8ctre likes this.
  17. matthew bear

I’ve found that the helix will always serve the music (in that utilitarian way) and the kemper will satisfy the “what if” amp scenarios we all GAS for while playing at home.

Pop1655, mmd and Sp8ctre like this.
  18. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

A quick call or email to Kemper should clarify...if they are as solid as I believe they will fix it or send a new unit out.

I got a bad Gemini Powered FRFR from Mission Engineering and a replacement was in the mail before the bad one
    was back in the box and mailed. They took one listen over the phone and surmised the internals were damaged in shipping!

Pop1655, ricky1918 and matthew bear like this.
  19. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Almost 2 years of play with my Helix floor. I've been facing lot of reliability issues, both hardware and firmware, as well as typical freezes while editing and/or having a gig. Now don't tell me forums are full of happy people because that is not true.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  20. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Have you tried any after market irs with the helix? Speaker emulation was never line 6's strong suits, and there are ir creators of there doing some great stuff.