Should I trade my Kemper for an Helix?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by ricky1918, Nov 13, 2017.

1. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

Hi folks.

My Kemper is having some issues, like there is no output, sometimes it's noisy, stuff like that. Since it already happened and it's still in warranty I'm gonna send it back to have it fixed.

Once it's fixed tho I'm pretty sure I'll get rid of it. 2 times it has died on me in less than a year. it's too much, considering that I play it maybe 2 times a month on average.

A guy offered me his Helix Floor.

I believe some of you guys have/had both, what do you think about the helix vs kemper?

Consider that I'm a pretty simple guy, right now I'm using only one preset:

compressor => R.A.T. distortion => vibrato => Fender Super Reverb => EQ => Delay => Reverb

and it suits ALL my needs.

I'd get an amplifier if I could move it around easily, but a Super Reverb is heavy and I don't want to go thru the hassle of carrying it around and micing it every time, as we play thru the pc right now.

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Helix is a different beast. There isn't a Super Reverb amp model. With Helix, you are limited to what Line 6 modeled. For Fenders, you have either channel of a Deluxe Reverb, either channel of a Twin Reverb, either channel of a tweed Bassman, and a tweed Champ. Kemper will let you have whatever somebody profiles. Consider that - as I see it as significant difference.

I use the Helix and am MORE than happy with what is in there. I DO wish some stuff was modeled that I know NEVER will be - like my Rivera M100 or S120....the amp I used for over 25 years. I managed to tone match it to a point, but it's not "it"....

Just something to consider....

3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Your KPA seems to be a lemon. That is atypical failures.

Factor that in.

If you really wanted to make the switch, I would sell the KPA, and buy new the Helix (does warranty travel to new user if sold used?)

4. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

I'm sure mine is a lemon, but idk what I can do about it.
    I still have to talk to the guys at the service, but I don't know what they can do beside switching the broken board with a new one and give it back, but I'd still have to live knowing that it could break up pretty much anytime.

I took the KPA home and it is working fine in my house, I'll try with an UPS in our rehearsal space and hope it's just because of bad voltages from the outlet.

KPA warranty is not "personal", but "belongs" to the unit, it's linked with its S/N. IDK if it's the same for line 6, doubt so.

5. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I meant the Helix' warranty

6. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

yeah yeah, I know!

I'm not after a particular sound, so if the Deluxe Reverb/Twin Reverb sim is ok, it's fine with me.

I'll give Helix Native a try this weekend, maybe it'll help

7. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Why not.. Try everything...

AmpedUp, lemmy loud and mmd like this.
  8. PierM

PierM Premium Member

If overall reliability its your source of motivation for a swap, then I can tell you Helix may have same problems, if not more. Just saying. ;)

9. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

AXE FX2XL+ on Sale now. Two years and counting. Great Kit.

mmd and AllTheSound like this.
  10. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

$1799 is a great deal!

mmd likes this.
  11. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

Don't have the money to try out the AxeFx! I have to buy a Nord Lead to play with the band too, so I'm not swimming in cash right now. or ever, lol.

I can accept some low budget piece of gear has reliabilities issues, but it's a Kemper, it should be a tank!

As soon as I try it with the UPS in rehearsal room I'll let you guys know, I really don't want to let the KPA go but I can't have problems with it every 10 times I use it

12. AllTheSound

Once you get the levels right with Native it sounds just as good as the hardware , i'm using a 2nd gen Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 for my interface with great results. I had a hard time with my old UR22 interface getting levels right and gave up on it. As long as you have a good interface you should get good results.

13. frankv

It means there is a new modeling coming out and I cant wait...

14. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

we are using a focusrite saffire pro 40.

I could just get it and run it as a plugin, as a backup, but I'd rather not rely on the PC for guitar too as we already run Ableton and other plugins for synths. Don't want to overload the PC during live use

15. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Helix warranty is transferrable (whatever time remains). I would try the warranty route then decide after you get it back.

16. AllTheSound

The Nord Lead is a nice analog modeler i had the first version for a while then before i got a Yamaha AN1X. I'm just curious ,why not a Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 or even the Prophet 6 or 12 . I mean if your gonna spend that kinda $$$

17. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

I found an A1 used for 900€, which is way less than a DSI.

I really liked the A1 when I tried it, but haven't had the chance to try a DSI yet. I'll surely give it a shot if I can find one!

AllTheSound likes this.
  18. AllTheSound

Thats half of new price , very good deal!! Sorry i didn't realize your in Italy might be fewer used DSI choices there.

19. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I don't really know how they can make it much better if it already sounds this good.

20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

More user friendly interfaces?

I agree on the sound quality.

frankv likes this.