Should I get an Orange 1x12 cab?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Tobin1634, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

For some reason, I have a real GAS for the orange 1x12 cabinet to pair it with my OR15. I have been using my DSL40c with a creamback in it as the "speaker cab" for my OR15 for home practice and I use my DSL for band applications, which is awesome.
    Now I'm thinking the Orange 1x12 with the vintage 30 would be a great extension cab to my DSL for the band (making it essentially a 2x12 situation) What do you guys think? Am I nuts should I just be happy with the creamback?

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Yeah, if I was you, I'd personally want a cab for the head. The Orange cabs look amazingly built, but they also seem pricey to me. But if money is no object, I don't think you could go wrong.

Rhust and thatF-INGflyingVguy like this.
  3. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

be happy with what you have? we won't have that sort of talk around here!

I'd skip the 1x12 altogether and buy a nice 2x12 cab... and yes, If you have the money, make it orange. they are freaking gorgeous. yes pricey, but so is a mesa, friedman, or other premium cab... it's a premium brand cab. they demand more on the used market too... more than say a peavey or even a marshall

do I think an avatar or similar would be just as good? yes. but they wouldn't be an orange...

FWIW, I've seen several of the jim root terror 2x12 diagonal cabs for very resonable prices used... and yes, I've been hella tempted. I'd swap one of the v30s for a greenback or something...

or if you REALLY like orange, ditch the DSL and the OR15 and get a rocker32 or rockerverb 50... you know... since I'm spending your money, go big! :D

4. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Thanks guys! I have contemplated blowing up the entire operation and getting a Silver Jubilee 2525 with a 2x12 matching cab, but that is just not in the financial cards right now. The orange cab seems more reasonable and will do the job quite nicely.
    I really love the OR15, but I gotta say, the DSL is just a lot better for my band application.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  5. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Everything by Orange is good, even their cables.

Rhust likes this.
  6. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I've had an Orange PPC112 a year next month and it's V30 speaker is well-broken in now. I like the cab (solid construction although, pricey) and the V30 having a deep bass tone to it sort of fits my style, anyway; so I'm happy with mine. Some reviews state just the opposite as to the amount of bass and claim it's too much. I say, give it a chance before swapping it for another brand.

It seems like you've had a change of heart about it? Lots of Orange fans say, "save up for their 2x12 cab. It
    is referable to many especially in a band context".

Classicplayer

7. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

I had an Orange 2x12 open back, fantastic cab. V30s needs some time to break in, but they work really good with Orange amps.

Classicplayer likes this.
  8. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

do it, or better yet, 2 1x12s.. then you have a mini stack. i have 2 of these 1x12 cabs that are great.. use it with everything
    20170616_174228.jpg

C_Becker likes this.