Shipping USA to Canada, looking for some insight

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by XpensiveWino, Oct 4, 2017.

1. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

Those of you that have dealt in shipping gear across the border, I am looking for some help. Here's the details:

My buddy and I are doing a trade, no cash being exchanged. He is sending me a guitar from Ontario to NC, and I am sending a couple amp heads to Ontario.

• The guitar is a made in USA Gibson, will there be duty on the guitar to return to the US?
    • If there i no cash exchanged can that affect the declared value?
    • What shipper should I use? (and why, if you wouldn't mind sharing)
    Many thanks in advance,
    Adam

2. Bsthetech

Bsthetech Member

Unless you can walk the guitar across the border you'll need a CITES declaration prepared by the seller. Americans seem to get off easier importing items than us Canucks. Someone else can explain that. The heads will need a declared value but make sure you clearly mark them as trade items. I suspect Canada Customs will still rape your partner, but you should make out ok.

XpensiveWino likes this.
  3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Is he close to the border? There are numerous freight forwarders state side if he can drive across to pick it up and ship yours.

If you do ship to Canada, he has to pay sales tax on the declared value plus brokerage fees if you use FedEx or UPS ground services.

If you ship it to a freight forwarder, he can drive it back and say it was in the car when he entered the US.

XpensiveWino likes this.
  4. djw171

djw171 Senior Member

Agree with the above. Customs will charge a 13% sales tax on the declared value of the amp heads coming into Canada. It's the absolute scam of the century that they continue to charge tax on an item through its life as it changes hands.

Regarding CITES, even though it was originally made in the USA, your friend will still have to get the paperwork.

5. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Yeah he or you should make a trip of it and drive it across the boarder.

6. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

Man, what a racket. Thank you guys!

7. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

My brother told me of a way to use eBay for this. Let me find the details. It was an interesting workaround.

eBay offers an international shipping deal, where you ship your gear to a place in the US, eBay handles it from there.

The way my brother described it, post an auction no one will notice or care about. Have your receiver "buy it now". Then, use the shipping option.

Seems iffy, but interesting idea.

EDIT: it's not as easy as he described. https://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/ship-internationally.html
    http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/global-shipping.html

8. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Member

Canada Post will ship up to 30 kg, declare the item as a gift ... done deal .... no money was exchanged so why should one be forced to pay "Duty", which is a fancy word for sales tax, again??. Sales tax was paid on both guitars at time of original purchase, so shouldn't need to be paid twice. If you ship through UPS or FedEx etc. they automatically go through ALL OFFICIAL channels and you would take a HIT $$$ at the border.

9. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Member

if you drive it across the border without declaring the guitar then technically you are still committing an offence, you declare it as a gift but your 48 hour exemption would only apply to the first $800 of the Guitars value, you would also need SOLID proof that the guitars actual worth was say $1,000 and NOT $5,000, mail is best option because you are filling out the Customs Declaration YOURSELF at the time of mailing, rather than leaving it to the discretion of a Border Guard, and believe me, they are no smarter or wiser than you or I, and they do make mistakes, plus you cannot reason with them at all, their word is the ABSOLUTE LAW at the border, there are no appeals or grievance processes available, that's just the way it works.

Who likes this.
  10. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

There is nothing illegal about bringing your own possession from canada to the usa. Think of all the golfers that drive across the boarder with thousand dollar drivers in thier bags. They dont pay duty on that. Simply tell the boarder guard you are going to visit friends and you are bringing your guitar with you, dont tell him you are trading it to someone. They got way bigger fish to fry then a guy with a guitar.
    Its when he comes bcack in to Canada with an amp in the back that he will have to be smart about what he says, I'd make sure i had some other things i purchased like some beer from the duty free and maybe some clothes and claim that to the boarder guard. The Canadian boarder guards arent on a power trip like the American ones.

Who likes this.
  11. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Why is it we're against importing "Chibson" into the US, but we'll help a buddy smuggle stuff over the border?

;)

I traded a guitar once with a guy who came down from Canada. He said he is careful to not have paperwork with him. Asked me to e-mail our bill of trade. He threw the guitar in the trunk, with clothes and stuff. As if he had spent a couple days partying.

He said if you have gear, don't say you "played a gig" or anything like that. They'll assume you got paid, and there's a bit of work involved in the foreign income.

I didn't fee too much guilt, as we were trading guitars, one-to-one, with no money involved. He left his country with a Gibson Les Paul, he re-entered his country with a Gibson Les Paul.

Who am I kidding? I wouldn't have felt any guilt if he came over and paid cash.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.