Shielding my Les Paul...

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by jokun, May 25, 2010.

1. jokun

jokun Senior Member

Hey!

I really want to sheild my les paul... I have done it to my strat (with singlecoils) and it is now more silent than my Les Paul (Humbuckers).

What I'm wandering is; What should I shield?
    It's pretty easy on a strat, but a les paul got lots of cavities and I really don't know which to shield.

Håkon

Btw: I do not want those "Don't shield your guitar, it's not worth it"-replies...

2. will c

will c Senior Member

It's tough because the Paul's pups usually sit pretty high out of the body cavity. Do they have covers on them?

Other than that, I would recommend some shielding paint and get as many of the cavities covered as possible. As far as the wire channel, you should have wired, braided cabling in there. From there, you need to provide continuity between the cavities somehow...a mechanically anchored wire or something. Honestly, you may look at other areas of your signal path to quiet it down....

3. jokun

jokun Senior Member

They don't haver covers...
    I think the rest of my signal path is as quiet as it can be. With my strat , it's dead silent... even with pretty high gain...

4. freddarl82

freddarl82 Senior Member

Overall, I agree with the direction Will C is going in...

Generally, I believe it helps a Strat, but doesn't do much for a LP (I have my Strats shielded). For the pickups, the best thing (IMO) would be to put covers on the pickups and use shielded cable throughout (i.e. vintage braided). Think about it - if the covers are installed and soldered to the baseplates, the cover/baseplate combo IS the electronic "shield" around the pickup. Then you don't have to worry about shielding the pickup routes and running leads between them to interconnect everything. As far as shielding the control cavity, you'll have to decide for yourself. I just don't think it does much good in a LP if you're already using vintage braided cable throughout. Remember, Strats use unshielded leads; LP's use shielded wiring (when done vintage-style with braided cables).

As always, consider your environment: the power coming out of the wall, other electronic items in the vicinity, florescent lights, etc.

5. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars MLP Vendor

Use the shielding paint, 3 coats, 24 hours between each coat.

6. Texas Joe

Texas Joe Senior Member

Buy a power conditioner if you dont have one. It may or may not completely solve your problem but it will definatley make a considerable difference. Plus they protect your eqipment.

7. jokun

jokun Senior Member

Does pickup covers do anything to your output?
    'Cause if they don't... I think that would be a good idea!

Thanks for your answers everyone! :D

8. bluemoon

bluemoon Senior Member

I had a terrible hum in my Les Paul. Could never figure it out. I had it shielded. Quiet as a mouse.

I took it to a guitar tech.

Slappy2x likes this.
  9. gtr-tek

gtr-tek Fumble Fingers Premium Member

Putting covers on the pups will change your tone. Shielding paint is a good idea as the harness is grounded together already if shielded wire was used. If you decide on covers, get the nickle-silver variety, not plated brass, as the brass versions dampen the sound. Also shield the cavity covers inside with adhesive copper or aluminum foil and make sure the paint comes over the edge so the foil makes contact.

:cool:

Slappy2x likes this.
  10. jokun

jokun Senior Member

So... Is it most important to shield the pickup cavities? or the control cavity?

I do not want to use covers on my pickups if it changes/dampen my sound...
    I love my sound, but the hum annoys me... =/

11. Standard 64

Standard 64 Senior Member

Pickup covers they say will change something.I bought copper foil from Stewart Mcdonald and shielded ALL the cavities,pickup selector,input jack,and the main cavity.

12. gtr-tek

gtr-tek Fumble Fingers Premium Member

The control cavity is foremost the likely place to start. The pup cavity can't hurt either. Make sure the pup cavity shielding makes contact with the control ground to be useful at all.

13. jokun

jokun Senior Member

Thanks for your answers, everybody! :D
    I'll tell you how it went when I'm done!

Håkon

14. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

think twice about shielding a guitar. IME it kills some high end sparkle and overtones.

15. River

River Senior Member

I had my Junior done this way, and I'm happy with it. I really don't know if it accomplishes anything I need, and have no idea how it changed the tone, as it was done commensurate with a pickup upgrade.

My dual-P-90 Ibanez is treated this way as well, and I'm happy with it, too. I've never felt the need to even think about it on my Humbucker LPs, nor on my dual-P-90 hollow body, but I really, really don't think it would do any harm to their "tone".

My R8's getting P-90s next week, with no plans to shield it - but we'll see. I'll be doing some before-and-after recordings - stock, with new neck, then with new both pickups. It'll be most interesting to see if it makes me consider shielding.

16. freddarl82

freddarl82 Senior Member

I don't think you'll need any shielding. The metal covers provide some shielding on the Phat Cats that you don't get with a traditional P-90's plastic cover (straight off the SD website description).

17. Slappy2x

Slappy2x Senior Member

Just took one of my LP's and my SG to my luthier for the same reason. Hope I have the same results as you!!!