Sheptone Pickups [merged]

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Juan C., Jan 12, 2008.

1. Marco78

Marco78 Senior Member

Hi boys, I have a Yamaha SG 2000 with stock pickups. I would to get a sheptone pups, but I am undecided between 57-58 specs (Tribute or BK sets) and 59 specs (AB set).

In your opinion what are more adapt for Carlos Santana tone?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBDLQZgntYE]Europa (Earth's Cry, Heaven's Smile), Santana - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv1TpJ6tOQM]Santana - Festival - 05 - Revelations - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks

2. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

From those clips, I think the 59 replica with the Tribute set sound closest to the Europa tone. Tough to tell on youtube clips though. Looks like the guy in the clip played with the tone rolled off a bit?? I bet you could achieve some sort of variation of that tone with any of those pickups.

3. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Marco... have a try of those p'ups which are not bad at all. I think they nail the Santana tone of that era if you just setup the guitar right.

In my case I nail that tone with a MIJ LPC copy loaded with a Duncan A4/A8 Jazz set.

HTH,

4. Marco78

Marco78 Senior Member

59 replica are AB set, not Tribute (57-58). Do you think that tribute is better?

What do you mean with "right setup"? The guitar is perfect.. :hmm:

Do you have tried sheptone? Your english is awesome, damn! :thumb:

5. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I mean have those p'ups hit the "sweet spot". The right distance between the polepieces and the strings in the bridge position and the right output balance between the two. And they're finnicky as hell, if memory serves well.(I've had a Yammy SG2000 many, many moons ago, LOL) Less of a 1/4 of a turn of the height screw can make or break the sweet spot...

Sorry if I can't be more specific... it was a really long time ago and what I remember is the time and effort I had to use to "get'em just right".

Is yours a bit neck heavy? Mine was...

6. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

I'm hearing a Leslie.

7. carydad

carydad Senior Member

Give Shep a call/email.

8. Marco78

Marco78 Senior Member

Ahhh ok! Tomorrow I'll try it!

I have send a mail, but he doesn't answer..

9. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Coming into the conversation a bit late, but I'm a Sheptone dealer...any questions I can answer? If not, Shep usually gets back to me fairly quickly.

This week in particular is a busy week for him.

BB

Tazz3 likes this.
  10. Marco78

Marco78 Senior Member

my question is: for santana tone what is the most adapt pickup? Tribute? BK? AB?

11. ToneQuest75

ToneQuest75 Member

I can't decide whether Sheptones are my favourite or not. I do really like them. They are clear and articulate but have something slightly chaotic going on in the sound to my ears. I've currently got a set in my OBG Les Paul which is wired 50's style at the moment (seems brighter sounding than the modern). I will definitely be hanging on to the Sheptones, but the jury is still out as to whether they will knock my all time favourites off the number one spot (Seth Lovers). Personally, I suspect not.

12. ToneQuest75

ToneQuest75 Member

I can't decide whether Sheptones are my favourite or not. I do really like them. They are clear and articulate but have something slightly chaotic going on in the sound to my ears. I've currently got a set in my OBG Les Paul which is wired 50's style at the moment (seems brighter sounding than the modern). I will definitely be hanging on to the Sheptones, but the jury is still out as to whether they will knock my all time favourites off the number one spot (Seth Lovers) Personally, I suspect not.

13. Wraptail

Wraptail Senior Member

I had Seth Lovers & Tributes in the same guitar - A Heritage H150 (Les Paul).

It came with Seth Lovers and I did the switch maybe 1-2 yrs later.

I loved the Seth neck pickup. I could never get a good sound out of the bridge pickup and the middle position sucked - unusable to me.

That guitar LOVED having the Seths out of phase ("Peter Green" mod), which I did shortly after getting that guitar.

The Tributes, which came with A5 mags, was not my "cup of tea." I preferred the Seths.

But, he included A2s and A4s when I bought them. I swapped in the A4s and boom! Both pickups great sounding - I liked the Tributes with A4s better than the Seths.

I've come to learn that I really like A4s and A3s. I don't typically like A5s... though they are in one Burny Les Paul and not coming out.

I wonder what the A4s would have sounded like in the Seths.

That's an interesting comment by LtKojak about difficulty in dialing in the Tribute pickup height. For me the neck was not a problem, but the bridge pickup was very picky about height adjustment. - I suspect this is also individual guitar dependent. I've had different guitars with the same pickups swapped in and one was very forgiving as to pickup height and the other was not.

14. Carolinablue

Carolinablue Junior Member

Hi, Rude dog,very interested by Sheptone tribute set , Can you described the differences in sound between magnets a4 and a5 which were supplied stock in the tribute set?

15. skydog

skydog Senior Member

16. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

17. Tazz3

Tazz3 Senior Member

Sorry if this is an old topic any ways i think iw ill get the sheptone heart breakers
    Now here is the question i have push pull volum pots on my les paul plus top
    Should i ditch them and just use stock 50's wrieing cause iam geting new pots also

18. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

If you want to do away with the push/pull, order the pickups with 2 conductor leads. If you want to save the push/pull, then order the pickups with 4 conductor leads. Your choice.

1 person likes this.
  19. luis

luis Senior Member

According to Yamaha the pickups have Alnico I (a mistery to me). I has those in a SA-2000 (great guitar but thinner neck than I like) and I felt bridge one was too shrill to my taste but it sounded great splitted.

I am very curious about Seth Lovers A IV magnet swap in the bridge too....

20. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Senior Member

Loving the Sheptone Tributes in my 2010 R8.