Sheptone Pickups [merged]

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Juan C., Jan 12, 2008.

1. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

my sheptones tribute set sounds very good, sometimes I can get a sweet P-90 bite, the neck isnt muddy, the bridge sounds "bigger" then a 20 ohm pickup,but isnt overly distorted or anything, I love my sheptone tributes!

but they dont sound the best out of phase, you need to add a little gain to take it to a brian may kind of sound, because it doesent do peter green too well (maybe that is a good thing though :D)

2. V!N

V!N Senior Member

3. FastRedPonyCar

FastRedPonyCar Member

Through my new mojo JTM45 :thumb:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc-66Qctc-s]YouTube - Marshall JTM45 Mojo music Kit - Demo vid 1[/ame]

Tazz3 and jiveturkey1 like this.
  4. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

5. V!N

V!N Senior Member

wow, thanks a lot Jonesy ! That really helped out a lot, great examples of different tones there that go beyond the usual phase reversal and coil split.

When used clean, I really like the sound of the pickups in series and out of phase. It does introduce more warmth to the out of phase sound. When used with a nice bit of crunch, the difference between parallel+oop and series+oop is a bit less obvious.

Both pickups in series and in phase creates a lot of capacitance and kind of like I suspected, the clean tones were quite dark. What I didn't suspect was that the crunch of this would sound so massive ! You got it right when you said: "a little more bark." :thumb:

I do have to say your SG provides a sound that's quite bright to begin with, almost a "jangly" kind of ring to it. How do you think this would work with darker pickups ?

Again, thank you very much ! Some really cool sounds and it's definitely worth mentioning that these two push/pull pots add three new cool sounds to a guitar with pickups that have the "old fashioned" two conductors. :thumb:

6. jonesy

Vin,

Hey thanks for checking out those sound clips I have seen you post several questions in regards to this type of wiring. There is one thing I wanted to point out to you since you really seem to pay attention to details.

When switch is in middle and bridge tone pot is pulled out to put both pu's out of phase, you get the thin, dry nasally Tone you would expect. I have found though by rolling down either volume pot just a hair that tone get's warmer and fatter. So you can use your volumes as sort of an "Oop" control if you want to.

As far as my SG being bright, I actually found it a bit dark on some earlier recordings and backed the mids off on my Amp. Alice also has ebony fret board and fresh strings.

This MSP rigs eq's out nicely and are really responsive depending on what amp your are using, so I think Darker pu's would work just fine. The Series is probably the darkest Tone setting to my ears.

jonesy

7. V!N

V!N Senior Member

Hi Jonsey,

It's always been a compromise between having enough oop honk and having enough volume / fatness when rolling back the volume of one of the pickups. I've been using series+oop on my Telecasters for ages and I was wondering if humbuckers could benefit from this as well. Judging by your clips, they do !

Yesterday, I found the misplaced box with RS pots, your fine Spraque Vitamine Q capacitors were in sight all along. Within the next couple of weeks, I hope to find the time to do some nice experiments and I will certainly try these three options on my T-Tops.
    Just with some alligator clip leads first to find out what sounds good with this particular guitar and then perhaps some push/pulls.

8. V!N

V!N Senior Member

:dude: :dude: :dude:

A big thank you for you as well, Pony ! :dude: Great sounding recording right there.

I was all over the AB's but after watching your clip, I may have to give these BK's a closer inspection as well. I really like the tone of the bridge, woody cleans and a sound that remains tight and defined, even when used with a lot of gain.

9. jonesy

The "Series out of phase" is one of my favorite settings now that I have that option in my SG. It's got it all, oop, honk and a lot thicker bottom end.
    Have fun tinkering bro, I know I do ;)

10. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Speaking of Squeeze - a favorite of mine.

We played 'Goodbye Girl' - I used chorus and split the coils.
    Played the chords as 'open barres.' In reality they are Maj 9.
    It was goosebump good.

;)

11. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

I just put a set in my 1983 Burny last night. Decided to rewire the entire guitar with the original steel braided wiring from the selector switch etc while I was at it. Tossed some orange Drop .03uf in there too...amazing, just amazing.

I have a Sheptone AB in the neck and a Tribute in the bridge with aged covers and played some Zep straight into my 18TMB Ceriatone. Honestly it sounded the closest to Page's tone I have ever heard with my own gear. Very nice stuff
    :thumb:

12. FastRedPonyCar

FastRedPonyCar Member

2 new videos

jam track using my JP6 to the JTM45 for rhythm and the tokai for leads

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQym0RoCibs]YouTube - My JTM Wants to Kill Your Mama[/ame]

and another

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwlPNMHxLf8]YouTube - Titan Amplifcation modded Marshall JTM45[/ame]

13. Marco78

Marco78 Senior Member

Hi FastRedPonyCar, I have contacted you on YT... You are a very good guitarist and your sound is awesome.
    I have ordered a Tokai LS 160 from Japan factory (with Seymour Duncan Seth Lover "mods"), but I have to wait four month.

Why do you have changed pots and caps? the stock Tokai are CTS pots and orange drop caps and so they are good quality.. Do you have hear difference with RS kit?
    The Shepton pups are awesome, very defined with high gain too.
    Do you have two video with same gear but different pickups (stock vs Shep)

Sorry for the many questions!

:)

14. FastRedPonyCar

FastRedPonyCar Member

Hi Marco. Yeah the tokai's come with CTS pots and orange drop caps unless you get one of the top of the line models which come with genuine NOS bumblebee caps (not the garbage reproduction versions)

I've got the RS super pots for the volume pots but left the stock CTS tone pots like they were.

I ended up getting these exact caps from this seller and liked them best out of a dozen different caps.

2 NOS .022uf 200v CDE Vitamin Q Type Capacitor USA .022 - eBay (item 370354883543 end time Jul-22-10 09:40:59 PDT)

15. Marco78

Marco78 Senior Member

ok tnx!! :)

The Sheptone are incredible pickups at good price...

16. FastRedPonyCar

FastRedPonyCar Member

jiveturkey1 likes this.
  17. Marco78

Marco78 Senior Member

18. FastRedPonyCar

FastRedPonyCar Member

Neither. modeler.

19. Marco78

Marco78 Senior Member

ok!

20. randelli

randelli Senior Member

This is from my RUDE MOOD demo session with Brian Kahanek:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fCUlCwj6no[/ame]

Sheptone BK Signature pup's in a 08. Love that sound!