Sheptone Pickups [merged]

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Juan C., Jan 12, 2008.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Thanks I'll check him out! :thumb:

2. V!N

V!N Senior Member

How does the Eddie Bauer set cope with out of phase tones ?

3. jonesy

4. V!N

V!N Senior Member

No, I'm really talking about the out of phase tone of the Eddie Bauer shirt and short set. :p

Blimey, I always type that when I want to talk about the Andy Bauer set ! This is the first time I didn't catch it in time before posting. :laugh2:

So, :cool: does the Andy Brauer set perform well when used out of phase ? It already packs quite a honk of its own when used in phase and I was wondering if that would have any positive or negative effects on the honk of the out of phase tone.

5. jonesy

I did check Sheps web page just to make sure he hadn't added an Eddie Bauer signature set to his lineup :laugh2::laugh2:

Sheps AB, BK and Tributes are all based off the 59-61 PAF's based on the info on Sheps page, but the AB set is just wound a little bit hotter. When using the out of phase Tone or Peter green mod you can vary the mount of "Oop" by adjusting bridge or neck volume to get the balance you want.

As you know Lance has the AB set along with one of my 21 tone Jimmy Page rigs in his Spotlight LP, I would suggest asking him to see what his take on the phasing Tones are. I thought he was in the process of doing a video but not sure if he has posted it up yet?

You can always email Shep directly with any questions you have. He is a great guy and answers all my emails fairly quickly. He may be able to give you more details and insight since they are his pickups.

This is off his web page...

Email: info@sheptone.com
    ***If you don't hear back from me personally within 24 hours, check your spam folder***

Mail:

Sheptone
    P.O. Box 325
    Burley, WA 98322-0325

TOLL FREE 1-866-420-6767 (message only, all calls returned within 24 hours)

** If you wish to talk on the phone from outside the US, please send an email and I will give you a direct phone number to call. **

6. jonesy

Just got off the phone with Angry Hatter, and he got his Zebra AB set and my JP wiring I sent him today. He is installing them in his SG right now and may have some Soundclips in the morning :naughty:

7. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

I had a complete setup done by Andy.
    Really nice guy, by the way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll get some clips A.S.A.P.
    All I can say at the moment is "WOW!"

The sheptones are very rich sounding, creamy is a word that comes to mind.

The wiring harness adds tonal dimensions like a varitone.

(Notice the monitor in the background)

Thank you jonesy!

8. jonesy

Looks nice, glad you got the Sheptones & the Jimmy Page wiring installed. The zebras look great, looking forward to sound clips. I have been doing some tinkering on my SG also ;)

9. AngryHatter

heh
    What does "some tinkering" mean, oh jedi master?

10. jonesy

My 490's have the vintage braided 2 lead wire on them. Installed a push pull pot in bridge tone and wired up the phase mod when switch is in middle you get green/page thin nasily sound when pot is pulled out. Installed long length of shrink tube on braided wire of bridge pu to insulate it and keep it from grounding out on other pu wire. Added a set of .01 Vitamin Q's and some black top hat reflector knobs. ;)

11. AngryHatter

12. V!N

V!N Senior Member

Nice wah !

But what about the pickups and all the variations of the JP wiring ?

13. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

who are you talking to? :)

14. V!N

V!N Senior Member

AngryHatter, about his demonstration of the Sheptone AB set with the JP wiring.

I know this thread is a mess, but the clip was on top of this page and all the talk about it in the last couple of posts of the previous page.

15. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

thanks... good luck!

16. AngryHatter

I sat down and started going through all the variations and realized how many freaking different tones there are.
    I need to make a plain/clean push pull clip.

17. FF_Pedals

FF_Pedals Senior Member

Things to try:

Put the 3 way on the bridge, pull the bridge coil tap. Tap the screws with something metallic to see you've got the pole piece. Play for a bit. Pull the phase, tap to see if you get the slug coil. Usually I find the slug coil sounds awesome but depends on the pickup.

Try middle position in phase with neck humbucker and bridge single coil, or reverse.

Try series wiring with the neck tapped to single coil and bridge at full volume.

Series and out of phase at same time.

18. V!N

V!N Senior Member

Lance ? Hatter ? Since the both of you have the Sheptone Andy Brauer set and the JP wiring, I have a couple of questions for you.

I found that not every set of pickups sounds great out of phase. How does the AB set hold up ? They already pack a really nice honk when in phase, so do they give you the mother of all honks when used out of phase or do the honks cancel each other out ?

My second question is about the sound of the coils split, rarely did I like this on guitars with vintage inspired humbuckers. How do you like the sound of the coils split ? Does it give you a convincing Strat / Tele sound ?

The last question is about one of the sounds of the JP wiring. If you put them out of phase and in series, how does it sound ? That's how I use it on my Tele and it's awesome, I never tried it with humbuckers though. Four coils in series creates a lot of capacitance, but with the last two out of phase, it might be the ultimate honk without loss of volume.

19. AngryHatter

Again - it's the Rex Bogue sound I was after and I think I got it. The splitting allows for a Ric sound and the out of phase is a) thinner, more nasal and b) when you combine the phase with the split you get close to tele strat...but it's still a Gibson. My only caveat might be I'm talking about a faded SG and not an LP.

20. V!N

V!N Senior Member

Thank you Hatter !

The Rex Bogue guitar is the double neck, right ? I couldn't find any clips with that.

But a Rickenbacker, you say ? ! That sounds very tempting, I always wanted to have that nice and jangly sound as an option, for every once in a while, but I could never justify buying a complete Rick for that.
    But then I found the Squeeze song, with the mildly distorted muted notes. Can a split AB do the jangly bits as well, such as "Words of Love" by the Beatles ?

I think you misunderstood my question about series+oop, I didn't mean the coils needed to be split. I was wondering how it would sound when one leaves both pickups in humbucker mode (two coils in series per pickup) then put both pickups in series with each other. You'll have four coils in series and if you then put the pickups out of phase, it will have four coils in series with two of them out of phase.

In my little theory, this should prevent the loss of volume and low end that you normally have with OOP tone. In reality, I'm just guessing here. :) Trying that means flicking a couple of switches for you but I would have to completely rewire a guitar.

I thought I'd better ask questions first and solder later. :thumb: