Sheptone Pickups [merged]

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Juan C., Jan 12, 2008.

1. Juan C.

Juan C. Member

If you have used Sheptone PAF tributes, how would you compare the tone to other boutique winds and/or to Gibson BB1,2s or 57 Classics Thanks

2. madialex

madialex Guest

I think they Jam, heres a you tube clip, there are others too... Not sure who the Guy playing is but he's pretty good....:applause:

YouTube - Paf tone test

3. overdriver

overdriver Banned

oops never mind:confused::wtf::thumb::rofl:

4. Erotism

Erotism Junior Member

Dear my New Friend,
    This is my 1st post and I'll try to learn to live with you all...

I'm a tiny palyer in Thailand and living in Guitar Thai - On-line Guitar Magazine login as my name,
    my hobby is... play a bit but wipe a lot.....hahaha

also I & my freind have a tiny web name is Loob Klum Guitar Club - Gallery
    that web, we proud to show our favorite guitars and gears,
    please visit and enjoy a ton of photos...!!!

the one who want to know naming of "LoobKlum" I'll explain later,

my first question is...
    I'm interested to change my PreHistoric Pup. from Classis'57 to Sheptone Pup.
    this is his web...
    s h e p t o n e . c o m   : : : : : :   Vintage Style Hand-Wound Guitar Pickups

I expected to get an vintage and warm tones as '70-'80 era,
    Do you have any ideas to share or suggest...???
    Thanks in advanced for your comments,
    Appreciated,
    Ero...:naughty:

Attached Files:

5. carydad

carydad Senior Member

I have sheps in my R9. Wonderful pickups. Definitely more vintage sounding. I like the Free, Thin Lizzy sorta tones. It nails those. Good guy to deal with as well. His aged covers were dead on perfect for what I was looking for.

WB, Wolfetone and WCR are also great pupmakers whose pickups also live in some of my guitars. So many good pups...so little time.

6. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

Curiosity got the best of me and I have set of Sheptone Blue Sky's on the way. I dug my Tribute set I had for a bit and am anxious to check these out. Anyone have any experience with 'em? I hear they sound very similar to the WCR Fillmores...

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I heard a clip of these over on LPF by a guy named red baron. They sounded REALLY good. Old school with lot's of honk.

8. JLH

JLH Senior Member

I found the A4 magnet to be a little lifeless, from my personal experience the A4 magnet sounds nothing like the WCR Fillmore's, however, I did not have the Blue Sky pickup exactly, which has an A4 platform, perhaps Shep has the wind that works with the A4.
    Keep us posted when you get them, they certainly sound good on the clips I have heard, but IMO not like the Filly's.

9. Sgt.Pepper

Sgt.Pepper V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Which magnets do you prefer?

10. JLH

JLH Senior Member

After years of this, for me it always comes back to the A5's. This magnet when it is correctly done (prepared) and installed in a correctly wound pickup, built by a professional pickup builder/winder gets a perfect balance of lows, mids and highs that make it complex and musical.
    I have however found a select few A2's that I like and am still working on finding an A2 I like better than the SD Alnico 2 Pros.
    I have a set of Gibson,57's that came stock in my 2001 R8 that are really good as well.
    I am however, watching my mail box daily for something new in an A2, I will keep you posted

11. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I like Alnico IV a lot. I had some pickups from BKP with proper alnico IV mags and the sound was great. In fact my new set of WBs have aIV magnets and Will seemed to love them ( and that includes a 57 AIV Habanero bridge unit :naughty: )

12. JLH

JLH Senior Member

Yep, That's why they paint cars different colors

13. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

:applause:

14. Red Baron

Red Baron Senior Member

Yeah I'm very happy with my Blue Sky set. I think the real secret to these (apart from the magnet choice and winding pattern) is the bobbin core thickness resulting in extreme sensitivety to playing dynamics - the Blue Sky bobbins are cast from a real PAF.
    They may not be for everyone but they're certainly the best sounding PAF replicas I've owned, and I would even go as far to say they sound better than the real PAF's I've owned.

15. JLH

JLH Senior Member

I allways get a little confused with this "PAF TONE". So I will just open this can of worms up and ask.
    what is "PAF TONE" ? There must be some certain guitar and its sound that each of us use as a target or reference?
    That would help all of us understand what they sound like to the individual.
    Has any one read the Tone Quest report on the PAF shootout at the Spanish Castle?

16. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

Alright, after a week with these I've decided they aren't for me. Great pups, but not as well-suited in my guitar as another set of pups I've got. I do like them better than the Tribute set... they seem a little darker with more emphasis on the mid freqs. I figured I'd keep the set that I like best, so these are up for sale in the classifieds.

17. Red Baron

Red Baron Senior Member

Wow that was quick, but no point in keeping something you don't like. I couldn't be happier with mine, they suit my guitar very nicely... yes they are strong and complex in the mids, but that is exactly the place where I find my nicest tone... it's great we have so many choices in aftermarket pickups. :)

18. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

lots of boutique guys, what do you all think of sheptones?

jonesy likes this.
  19. oilpit

oilpit Senior Member

They aren't $600...
    :dude:

20. gmacdonnell

gmacdonnell V.I.P. Member

They're great: nice warm, but clear sound. Great dynamics, and responsiveness.
    Not as much high-end as some, (Lollars and Dave Stephens,) but a great tone, and great "feeling" pickup to play. Nice price too.