Shed pickups - unfulfilled order

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by UnWind, Sep 3, 2017.

1. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

No. Not him.

2. Spiteface

Spiteface Senior Member

No reply over a week later, so emailed him again. Same auto-reply.

3. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

I can wind you a bad pickup if you like. I have a handful of builds from the first days putting wire to bobbin that sound extremely terrible; bad tension, snapped wire, top line microphonics... They do make excellent paperweights though (so I guess I got THAT part right!)

4. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

According to conversations with clients I have near-daily, all of the big guys and plenty of the little guys can do an awful job. Maybe that's a pickup that fails to hold up to typical playing conditions, maybe it's a pickup that lacks any amount of detail and clarity, maybe it's a pickup that has some other sonic anomaly, maybe it's a pickup that was just an awful recommendation for the player/guitar/style by the builder. In many ways, however you look at it, people definitely purchase "bad" pickups.

I've also repaired plenty of factory-condition pickups that had manufacturing flaws that should have never left the factory. I can't think of a single big name that doesn't fall into that category.

I'm not likely everyone's first purchase when getting into aftermarket pickups, because of the cost, but I am regularly people's last purchase after trying others so I get to hear about all the BS. I also get to repair MANY "boutique" pickups form overseas winders, sold to US customers, because the shipping and turnaround time to have me do a repair is much better than shipping it overseas twice, to the original manufacturer. I see all the dirty little shortcuts people take, as I repair them! ;)

5. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

And THAT'S why I offer free shipping to and from if I need to repair something..so guys like you can't see my dirty little secrets!! Actually if I'm going to give disclosure, I stole a few of my tricks from James back when we had that Pickup Winder's Thread that got tanked. Hell of a resource. A lot of guys were secretive and would allude to this or the other thing with blurred pics but James was all 'Look at this!' with full on high res pics and all kinds of ideas.

Its funny how most of the folks who bellyached about it or played up 'the secrets that only they could possibly know' are no longer 'round these parts much. Maybe they're all too busy to post anymore. Or maybe not.

6. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

:h5: You get a high five only because there's no "hug" option!

Secrets are for those with something to hide. Men who do what's right stand proud.

7. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Yeah, you'll certainly do, would you ever try... but that's never going to happen, right? RIGHT? ;)

cooljuk likes this.
  8. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

that rings particularly relevant when thinking of a particular 'big' company (although in a MAJOR decline over the past 5 or so years) that spins so many webs of misdirection and misinformation that they have frequently lost track of the gaffes on their own website (as one of many examples).

9. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

I have a nice set of shed supernaturals, double cream with aged nickel covers never removed I might want to sell. Sorry if this was inappropriate to post here..........

10. bill m

bill m Premium Member MLP Vendor

I hope everyone who are due pickups at least get their money back and although I'm not on here much I assure everyone I'm still around and cranking out pickups. Well, that's when I'm not at my chalet in the hills of Monte Carlo, or cruising around in my Ferrari.:thumb:

11. . . .

. . . Senior Member

I'm in the same boat, as I made the mistake of ordering a pair last year in October, with still no sight of them. I guess I should've known better since I had ordered a set before, where "a few weeks" turned into two months, but I thought I wasn't in a hurry. One of my several emails get replied in April, explaining that Mr. Mumford is "working hard to catch up" and that he's not taking any new orders until the pending ones are fulfilled. Placing a new order would be somewhat difficult at the moment, as even the website has vanished.

I foolishly gave him the benefit of doubt and in the meanwhile the Paypal time limit of 180 days for a claim expired. After this point they are only able to investigate it if there are several complaints of similar nature. So if you know of anyone who is still without their pickups like me, give them a nod and there might still be a slight chance of getting this sorted.

12. UnWind

UnWind Member

Anyone know Spence’s phone number?