Shed pickups - unfulfilled order

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by UnWind, Sep 3, 2017.

1. UnWind

UnWind Member

Anyone else having trouble getting ahold of Spencer at Shed pickups?

I ordered a set of Shed Zeppelins last December and was quoted that the wait would only be a couple weeks long. Now he's stopped responding through email and his website no longer exists. Also the PayPal buyer protection period has passed back in May when he was still responding. Just wanted to see if anyone else is in the same boat or knows what the deal is ?

Spiteface likes this.
  2. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

3. bp-plickner

bp-plickner Senior Member

What a shame!

I just poked around on the internet and there is no shed pickup site or face book page.

I hope you work something out.

4. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

5. Emiel

Emiel Senior Member

He does not respond to e-mails. Maybe to phone calls, but I haven't tried that yet.

It is a shame as he winds great pickups.

I have a set of PAF Daddy's that I would like the bridge pickup to be a bit lower in output, guess I'll have to look elsewhere now.

6. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Wow , a little time and all is forgot ... IMO , you may need to "pressure" Spence with Public postings to get your Pups .... As , it's nothing "New" .... Excuses R Us ,I'll guess might be the next phase in store for the future ....:lol:
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    ^
    If I were you , I'd never send back a set of "Sheds" pups I have in hand (like be happy you have them):Ohno:....

What do you think the odds are you will get them back in time,,, to use before you stop caring ???? :run:
    Maybe find another winder to take some of the coil wire off ? or help you get what you want done , that has a reputation of Doing what they say , When they say :thumbs: ....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

as a matter of fact , I did own 3 sets of Sheds (Years ago I bought 3 new at the same time) And it took over a YEAR to get them(IIRC) ... So ,,, patients might be a good trait to have ....
    Nice pups , but , IMO , not worth the wait. Other "better" Pickup Winders can be found ... And all Do what they say ... and are easy and great to work with ... :cool2:

RAG7890 and cooljuk like this.
  7. calfzilla

calfzilla Member

I don't think the buyer protection clock counts if you never received the product... I could be wrong though. I'd call PayPal and explain the situation.

8. karatblackndekar

karatblackndekar Senior Member

Some things never change....don`t give him the benefit of any doubt..if you used Paypal or a Card ,contact them ,you`ll probably still get some help !

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Its like 'same old, same old' all over again.

10. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Check your PayPal account. I believe the seller is supposed to update the transaction with a valid tracking number before your account is actually charged. Also check with your credit card company. Most will be very helpful in a situation such as this.

11. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

Doesn't surprise me
    Way too many pickup builders out there vying for a share of the market

12. UnWind

UnWind Member

Thanks everyone! I'll follow up with Paypal and see what they can do.

13. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

I would say always check out these forums to get feedback from your Les Paul brethren before buying anything.

I learned about Mark at Ox4, Alex at Wizz, Jonesy at JonesyBlues, Larry Corsa at Faber USA from these forums, they have never steered me wrong.

I sent Alex at Wizz pickups an inquiry on a set of pickups I ordered a few weeks back last night, had a reply within 15 minutes (sorry I fell a sleep and didn't reply until 8 hour later Alex) Mark Stow at Ox4 is very responsive as well.

Thisng is there are just too many good vendors out there that understand the importance of great customer service to give your money to the bad apples.

Stuff likes this.
  14. Spiteface

Spiteface Senior Member

I'm in the same boat as UnWind here. Gonna be a year since I placed my order (his "Hot Bastardo set) tomorrow. Last time I got in touch he told me he had to have his Humbucker tooling remade, that he had a batch of parts ordered and that he indended to get to mine in the next couple of weeks. This was back in April. I was being overly patient even then.

Thing is, I went into Gamlins in Cardiff (Spence is based in Cardiff) and happened to mention I'm still waiting on them, because one of the guys who works there knows Spence, and he mentioned some stuff that might explain why (something about his wife throwing him out or something?) but basically said I should badger him again, so I've just sent another email.* Whether I'll get any response remains to be seen. I'm in a position where I'm not in need of the money, but that's not the point.

Hopefully I can get a refund and then I'll look elsewhere. Was really happy with the service I got from Bare Knuckle a few years go, sure they've got something that fits the bill.

* - EDIT: Got his "out of office" auto-reply. Will see what happens tomorrow morning. He was actually pretty quick to respond last time, maybe my question about a refund if he's not going to get mine to me soon will jog him a bit.

15. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

...................sounds like the the shed is empty. :rofl: :rofl: :run:

:cheers2:

16. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

It's really a shame that life struck him down again. He was one of the few that helped to lay the foundations all other boutique winders work from today, together with Tim Mills of Barecknuckle p'ups and mr. OTPG. He even helped mr. OTPG when he had serious health issues.

Seems that no good deed goes unpunished...

Oh, well... I hope he goes back on his feet again, because the Spence I know is the one that stands up, even when kicked while being down. OTOH, he's not spring chicken either...

I hope the situation will go back on track.

6077dino likes this.
  17. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Sorry LtK , I like you, but need to respond . Not trying to dump on the guy , but ,,, What he did ,has nothing to do with what he does ...
    Just off the top of my head ,the excuses kept coming with only a short break for about a year or so , It was moving , the computer , no bobbins , IIRC electrical issues (IIRC illness which is very understandable) . Non (less an illness possibly) which takes years to resolve , imo .
    Point is . there comes a point in any business where , when you can't meet demands , you stop taking orders /people's $$$ .. OR be honest , up front s to what the future backlog is and what to expect about your order .
    We had another Winder here who was similar ... Dental work was a big issue IIRC . Stopped him from Winding for Months ???? Yeah Right . Until he disclosed his business model ....
    Couldn't make the set you paid him for (months to a year ago) but sure enough , He could make a set to sell on EBay , as he stated he needed cash to buy parts to make your order .
    I'm no Business guy or a Lawyer , but even I know better then that . It's no way to run a business . The outcome is predicable and keeps repeating itself . A some point , We are expected to LEARN from our mistakes made in business . If Not you go under . Which is what it appears to be for those 2 Winders ...

Now back to my Coffee :laugh2: , I think I need a little More :dude:

18. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

He always supplied a local luthier with pickups. I'm not sure if that is still the case. I shall be taking an SGJ to him (the luthier) for a set up soon. I'll see if I can find out the score.

Spiteface likes this.
  19. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

Probett?

20. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

Does anyone ever wind bad pickups? All I ever hear about is winders getting it right, never getting it wrong.