Shed Pickups [merged]

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by FLICKOFLASH, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Ithamar1

Ithamar1 Senior Member

My Supernaturals are great and going nowhere and I got them quick too

2. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

I installed my PAF Daddies in my new R7 last week after having them in a drawer for a little while...back in heaven. My luthier commented on two things with my guitar. The overall resonance of the wood and the clarity of the pickups. I've been through a few PAF clones and these stand alone

3. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

Same deal here. Still love my Supernaturals. Great stuff!

4. Jedadiah

Jedadiah Senior Member

Got the e-mail last night, 'P90's ready to ship, in the post tomorrow'!

5. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Two month waiting time from order to shipment?

Looks like Spence's business is back to normal.

That's actually GREAT news! :applause:

1 person likes this.
  6. rulgarden

rulgarden Junior Member

I ordered a set of Daddies 4 months ago, still waiting, according to Spence he hopes to have it this month, I´m looking forward to install them in my Tokai(LS1R8) to check the results.

7. Scatter Wound

Scatter Wound Junior Member

I have a set of Zep's on order. Can I safely assume 2-6 months on shipping?

8. trumpetvest

trumpetvest Member

I am into my 13th week for my daddies.
    Part of me is happy to wait for such nice pickups and a part of me is a little pissed off that despite being told before purchase that the delivery time would be within 8 weeks I am still waiting. This will be my 3rd set of sheds.
    I think anyone wanting a set of sheds need to allow for about 6 months so they won't be disappointed.
    The enquiries I have made on the progress have been met with" I will do them this week" replies, this has been going on for the last month or so.

The pickups are great, the service needs a lot of work in my opinion.
    I guess this is why people would opt for something like bare knuckles, a great pickup available next day, you pays your money and takes your choice.
    I would definitely think twice before purchasing another set from spence.

9. Jedadiah

Jedadiah Senior Member

OK, I got my P90's from Spence, fitted them and I have to say they are the dogs danglies! Everything I hoped they would be and more. It was a little longer than two months as I ordered them a few weeks before posting on here so closer to 3 months. I took the opportunity to update my pots and caps at the same time as well as some nice Faber hardwear and these modifications as well as the P90's have transformed my Junior Lite DC beyond recognition.

I've seen some of the comments in this thread recently deriding Spence and his 'timeframe' and I understand some may be impatient and disappointed with the communications but I have to urge you to remember that Spence is not a full time pickup winder. Yes, you can get some pickups off the shelf and I have no doubt they are excellent pickups but, with Spence, you are having your pickups made for you. You pays your money, you takes your choice. All I can say is the wait will be so worth while you will forget about it as soon as you hit that first note. You will not regret it. In fact, i'd go as far as to say 'Shed Pickups: Some things really ARE worth waiting for'.

If I can use the car analogy. You have a choice: commission a custom car and wait for the work to be finished or go to the local Ford dealer. Buy a cool car and be really pleased with it until one pulls up next to you at the lights, exactly the same. The realisation dawns that anyone with the money can go and buy the same car. With the custom car, the price will possibly be comparable but the product will be an individual. You have used your knowledge to get a unique car, different to a generic performance car.

When ordering from Spence, we took time in discussing exactly which model guitar I had; the body wood, neck wood, fret board wood. Then what sound I was looking for; styles, influences, comparisons. What type of wiring I was intending to use; pots, caps etc. He went away, did some research and provided me with a pair of pups made FOR ME!

I could have bought some P90's from Bareknuckle (I only mention them as it was mentioned in a recent post in this thread. I like Bareknuckles and have a couple of sets myself) and had them off the shelf and into my guitar in a week. Yes I know Tim does custom winds but he's a full time pickup winder and i'm sure a custom set would take longer. An off the shelf P90 would sound just like everyone else's off the shelf P90 who bought from the same producer that week/month/year.

I'm not deriding anyone else, i'm just saying, if you choose to commission a custom pickup from a custom winder, please be prepared to wait, it really is worth it.

10. bp-plickner

bp-plickner Senior Member

No doubt, Spence has the secret sauce. I just put a new set of PAF Daddy's (un aged) in a Collings I-35 and I must say the PAF Daddy's woke up that guitar! I had a set of Wolfetone Legends in there while I was waiting for the PAF Daddy's and they also brought that guitar to life compared to the stock Lollars. Almost left the Legends in but the PAF Daddy's, as I said make that guitar a living thing.

11. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

I ordered my shed paf daddies on Dec 11th 2011, based on all the good comments on this forum.
    The order was as follows:
    -zebra bridge
    -cream neck
    -with a single coil tap wire prs style on both (I added this on January 2012)
    -with an extra pair of alnico v magnets
    -trackable method of shipping

Spence agreed to all of the above albeit with some extra cost.
    Of course I would pay for the extra cost, whenever I'd be asked to. He never did.
    He estimated that the turnaround time would be a couple of months.

There was a delay due to him receiving bobbins with a 5 month delay, as he said. During the wait, I reminded him of the specs.
    At the end of July 2012, I received a pair of zebra paf daddies.
    No extra magnets. No coil tap wire. He didn't even notify me of the shipping.
    When I contacted him about all that, he replied with excuses I found both frurstrating and childish.
    This is not what I call professionalism.

The pickups sound quite good, above average for sure. But they are not what I asked for, especially after 8 months of waiting.

Our e-mail conversation is of course confidential and protected by law.
    If Spence shows up and gives his permission, I am more than willing to share it with the forum.

I am not affilated with any winder or any seller in general.
    I am sharing my experience, so that people can know it's not all good all the time.

12. allo

allo Senior Member

talking of delays ...... what prompted you to post your response a year after the event , .......so to speak.

1 person likes this.
  13. kazak

kazak Senior Member

I was told by Spence my Shed pickups (PAF Daddy) would take 8 weeks to complete.

I ordered and paid for my pickups on July 31, 2012, I received my pickups on July 2, 2013 (just over 11 months).

I checked in with Spence every 2 months and was told:

--Sept 2012: waiting on bobbins
    --December 2012: working through back orders, waiting on covers
    --February 2013: just run out of bobbins, will not be here until Friday at best
    --April 2013: adding you to my urgent list

In June 2013 I e-mailed that I really wanted the pickups, but wasn't willing to wait any longer. I asked for either a tracking number for shipment or a refund. The next replies:

Mid June: sent pickups when I last wrote, unsure about continuing to ship to US given unreliable delivery, I will make another set and ship them via a tracked service

Late June: tracking number sent

I had the pickups installed on July 3. IMO, the pickups are an improvement from my stock Gibson Burstbuckers. They have more body and sound fuller (darker, but not muddy, and less spikey compared to the Burstbuckers).

Overall, I like the pickups, but not the wait.

14. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

Frankly, I don't spend my whole day in forums. I find that the more time someone spends on the internet, the more trashtalk, cynicism and hypocrisy he/she has to confront.
    In recent time, I had some spare hours and decided to become a more active member of this forum.

1 person likes this.
  15. rulgarden

rulgarden Junior Member

Just as an update from my side, my set of Daddies took 9 months, that's a lot to be honest, especially when you're told to wait 2-3 months. That's the worst part, as for the pickups they're great and exactly what I had in mind, clarity, organic, kind of Kossoff or Page tone in Out on the tiles to my taste. By the way in my case they're installed in my Tokai LS1R8 with split coil and series/parallel, one of the surprises is how this pu's sound in single coil mode, they sound like a single coil, while most of the pu's I've heard just loose body and definition in single coil mode.

16. karatblackndekar

karatblackndekar Senior Member

I was told `a couple of weeks`,actually took 5 months with various `stories`
    along the way !
    Wouldn`t go there again !

17. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Maybe it troubled him that much . After a year it was still on his mind and wanted others to know . These stories are nothing new. It's been going on for years now . Good to bump the thread so those who are thinking of buying are informed of the pitfalls ahead .

As much as things change , they stay the same .

18. karatblackndekar

karatblackndekar Senior Member

Caveat Emptor !

19. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Isn't it unfortunate that we even need such a term to exist? I'm only 35 and I sound like an old man, but when I was a kid just starting out with the workforce, the Customer was always right; even if they were glaringly wrong.

Wayyyy back then there was a thing called "ethics/integrity", another thing called "quality of product and service" and even another more mythical thing called "customer satisfaction".

They weren't just weird words either, they were business techniques and a way of life. If you met the three you could make even more money and have a positive following. It seems everyone is leaning more toward getting your dollar now and not caring about what comes next. Don't get me wrong... I'm all for getting your dollar too, but I also want more of your dollars in the future so still prescribe to the code of conduct I was taught in the beginning and expect the same of everyone I buy things from.

If they mess it up and give BS excuses or even refuse to comment, we're done. There are still a bunch of people who live by the 'old rules'; lot of great people on the forums and elsewhere, but also a lot of fly by night alleyway salesmen as well.

Caveat Emptor indeed.

1 person likes this.
  20. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

It's unfortunate to hear that this stuff has been happening...

I've never had any problems getting Sheds directly from the winder...I've several sets...

though lately I've been acquiring them used.