Shed Pickups [merged]

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by FLICKOFLASH, Dec 3, 2007.

1. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

As it happens - just read a PAF Daddy review in Guitar and Bass mag from Sept '11.
    Penultimate para reads - "They're also more dynamically responsive than most humbuckers;our Greco project guitar started out with a set of mythical,hard to obtain 'Over the pond guy' PAFs,but when we swapped them over for a set of sand-cast Alnico IV PAF Daddies we've never looked back."
    Thats some accolade
    Congrats to Spence:applause:

2. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Some time ago I've installed this very set in a non-vintage but very good Gibby Standard for a customer and man, the guy almost had to knock me down to get his guitar back then... looks like I wasn't the only one that fell in love with those p'ups. ;)

3. ledfree

ledfree Senior Member

This is really wetting my appetite. :dude::thumb: I can't wait till my PAF Daddies arrive.

Patience ledders, patience.:naughty:

4. cap217

cap217 Senior Member

I have played pretty much every PAF type out there and have a set of 58 PAFs and the Shed Daddys are AMAZING in every way. The neck pickup from Shed is the best sound and I like them better than my actual 58s! The bridge on the shed daddys was a bit tamed (they are supposed to be) for me but they fit perfectly and had a mid range honk and a twang tele type sound like the old bursts I have played.

So I wanted something a bit hotter but I didnt want to mess with the neck pickup. I bought a set of Shed Zeps and WOW... The same neck fullness and sound from the neck but with a touch more bite to match up with the bridge PU. I will never get rid of these pickups. The Daddys fit my R8 a little better but I am down to only 1 R8/R9 so I am keeping the zeps in there for now. I am going to get another R8/9 soon and then swap the pickups and both guitars will have sheds.

Now I want to try his strat and tele pickups... There are no reviews on those though.

5. BrazenPicker

BrazenPicker Senior Member

Yeah, I redirected my MIJ GAS to pickup GAS (at least humbuckers take less storage space!), and it wasn't long before I decided I needed more guitars again. One LP is crazy, I definitely need way more than that, if just to put all these nice pickups in.

2 people like this.
  6. Bramley

Bramley Junior Member

Found this a while back . The many times I was in Sam Li's workshop he was : a./very real and b/ very oriental. Sam was good on frets and refins, not so much on wiring.

[​IMG]

7. ledfree

ledfree Senior Member

Back in March I ordered some PAF Daddies. And at last, they have arrived!:thumb:

Right, a tone report. Wow! that is the only adjective I can think of. But what a difference they make. First of all they are replacing Burstbucker Pro's in a 04 Les Paul USA Standard. I guessed there would be some improvement, but I was not expected such vast improvement in tone. I now know what people mean when they say articulate. Gone as all the mud, in its place is clarity. It as bought the guitar a live. I have mentioned the added sustain and the sizzle (it's only word I think of to describe it).

So all in all, I am Well chuffed with these and are well worth the wait. So if you have some of these on order. All I can say is hang in there, because are worth the wait.

Here some :photos:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/URL
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

I love my PAF Daddies although they are currently in their box. I wanted to try some different flavor pups but they will definitely be going back into either my standard faded or new to me r8. The neck pup is truly incredible and so very clear. I think that is a great adjective for these pups "clear". There's no ther way to describe it. They truly translate the sound of the wood with no tonal coloration. Enjoy your new pups

9. ledfree

ledfree Senior Member

I agree "clear" is a good adjective. I think it also applies to the bridge pick up too. Through the amp above I get a decent Paul Kossoff tone. Think Fire and Water off the Live Album.:)

10. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

I just scored another set (used) of Shedds the other day...that brings up the total to 5 sets...:cool:

2 people like this.
  11. ledfree

ledfree Senior Member

Probably the quickest way of acquiring a set.:naughty:

1 person likes this.
  12. RobM

RobM Junior Member

Just registered to say thanks to all posters in this thread for their input.

Product aside I ultimately decided against buying from Shed. After a few exchanges there was a lot left to be desired and I think some buyers are being admirably lenient with this 'company'.

I have no issues with the 'guy in his shed' operations but they need to be frank about their limitations and respectful that this sort of trade is done largely on faith.

I'm glad to see that others seemed happy in the end, but having dealt with other 'enigmatic' builders in the past I'm gonna give this one a miss.

13. Nigel Tufnel's tech

Nigel Tufnel's tech Senior Member

I lived about 6 miles from Mr Lee for a long time and didn't know about it. :(

14. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

Oh no you didn't......!

15. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I don't know why you went to all the trouble just to say this, I can smell you having an issue with him... however, having known Spence for many years, I can personally attest that he's a man of his word.

He had trouble while changing sheds and some personal and health problems right after, but I think his operation is back to normal since at least last november, that I know of.

You can call Spence many things, but just NOT shady or "enigmatic", and absolutely NOT acting in bad faith.

HTH,

2 people like this.
  16. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

I agree with LTKojak. I bought a set used and had questions about the pups, emailed Spence directly and had a response within an hour. I didn't have to endure the wait time but his pups are exceptional. If you really want to hear the true voice of the wood in your guitar then IMO there is none better, at least that I've found. Take it with a grain of salt because I a) am not a pro player, b) haven't tried every single pup available. I am an enthusiast and this is my opinion

17. Jedadiah

Jedadiah Senior Member

Just comissioned a custom set of 'Vintage P-90s' from Spence the other week. Nice to chat and discuss requirements with him, i just KNOW i'm going to get something special for my current project!

18. Laservampire

Laservampire Senior Member

I've got a set of Shed soapbars in my R6 and they're incredible, everything you could want from a vintage P-90.

1 person likes this.
  19. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

How does he make his pickups smell like old PAFs ?

20. sierra trekker

sierra trekker Premium Member

Spence is all about integrity. I bought a pair of Supernaturals some time back (BTW, there are fantastic) and they got lost in transit. Informed Spence (no questions asked) and he made a new pair and went out of his way to send them via DHL. The original pair never did arrive and I'd do business with him anytime.

1 person likes this.