Shanks question

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by BurstingOut, Dec 22, 2017.

1. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

Love this run

[​IMG]

BurstingOut and Sct13 like this.
  2. Tomburst

Tomburst Senior Member

Preferred neck profile is definitely subjective. But to me my shanks #111 feels neither fat nor thin,it just seems to feel right somehow and I don't know exactly why. Players I know who have played it all love the feel of the neck regardless of whether their usual preferred neck is chunky or a blade neck.
    It's tone I would describe as
    Rhythm: very woody with a lot of body but really clear top end.
    Middle: super honky jimmy page tone all over.
    Treble: like a fat tele on steroids.
    Nothin not to like for me.

3. Dazza

Dazza Senior Member

I have Shanks #14 from new in 2013.

From what I've gathered over the years since then it seems the original run - I don't know up to what # that is - had the low wind bridge around 7.1 K and higher wound neck around 8 K. That pairing gives a distinctive tone to the CC7 that defines it.
    That latter run however seems to have not carried on with that difference in pickup pairings and will likely sound a bit different.

Mine is the heaviest compared to my Kossoff and Beano and has a bigger low end. With the bright, snappy bridge pickup its quite a focused tone, and big and woody with the neck pu. Quite dense overall unlike the more hollow sounding Koss and Beano. The neck shape is unique and very comfortable for long gigs.

Currently I have a set of Wizz in my Shanks for a change. It still sounds fab.

Daz

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  4. lassie

lassie Member

The neck pickup tone of the Shanks haunts me to this day. That neck tone was really just perfect. Changed the pickups in it to OX4 once, but changed them back asap. The Shanks pickups hold their own against all the boutique brands out there (own/-ed Bare Knuckles, OX4, Shed, Wizz, ...). The only other set I had that kind of feeling about were a set of Shed PAF Daddy’s. Don’t know why I have sold these. Some kind of “the grass is always greener on the other side”-moment.
    If somebody has a set of either at disposal I would be very glad to take them. ;)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  5. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

I own #113...9.1 pounds and still my favorite guitar. It just feels right in every way. Pickups in mine I believe measured 7.2 and 7.9. Unlike most here I could never bond with them. Tried reversing them ....didn't pan out. Ran across a set of early Throbak SLE-101 MXV and love them. Will add some pics tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    dleake, Sct13 and BurstingOut like this.
  6. BurstingOut

BurstingOut Senior Member

Well you described my Shanks' pickups sound pretty much to a tee. Although my bridge is hotter than the neck. I'm loving the sound of them right now.

Sct13 likes this.
  7. bossaddict

bossaddict @david.beason on IG Premium Member

I'm a little late to this party, but wanted to say congrats anyway. You picked a great guitar! @Crotch has my old CC#7 and it's still one of the best Les Pauls I've ever owned. I missed the pickups so much that I even went out and bought a set of CC#7 pickups from another forum member for my R9. As with most, the neck is hotter (just qualitatively speaking) than the bridge in both sets I've played.

Congrats again!

8. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

I actually thought about doing this....:fingersx:

we may have discussed this once.....:hmm:

bossaddict likes this.
  9. BurstingOut

This guitar. Damn, the ultimate Les Paul I think. My search has ended here. Although I'd like to have two more just like it with the identical neck and beautiful aging, one with a flamey dirty lemon and one with a Pearly top. If I had the means, ha. I dialed it in how I like it. Put on a set of 9 gauge Slinky Cobalt's, lifted the tailpiece up, slightly lowered the bridge to have about a ten degree angle from tail to bridge. I like a lose, slinky feel with no string tension. Why fight the string to bend or vibrato? Heaven. Like butter.

dleake, Crotch and Sct13 like this.
  10. Dazza

Dazza Senior Member

Shanks is very much like a Tele Custom (of which I have a '76) with its weak single bridge pickup and overpowering neck wide range humbucker, the combined tone is quite marvellous. Broad and yet twangy having a somewhat scooped mid range. I typically live in the middle position most of the time on any Gibson as it provides a nice range of tones for one who uses the volume knobs for dirty/clean etc. Shanks has a similarity with Pages' twangy mid position tone.

11. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

I've owned like 4 of these and played more in the stores. Neckwise all very consistent and even tone wise. Neck PU is the money one, some great tonez to be had there, and don't forget to use the middle position. Easily one of the top 5 CC's they have done.

BurstingOut, Crotch and Sct13 like this.
  12. SMAZCO

SMAZCO Senior Member

I now have #005 Shanks. Put Wizz PAF's reversed position, TVT pots with 30% taper and real Bees caps. Also put Tone Pros Klusons as I'm not a fan of Grovers. Neck is the closest to a real '59 that I've played from Gibson. Only thing as close is a HM I had with the JB Majellan carve, although I prefer the Shanks. Only thing I don't like is the way Gibson aged the finish on the neck by just not putting as much versus is being worn away. Mine looks almost identical to the original as well and is light. IMG_5779.JPG

alnico59, BurstingOut and Sct13 like this.
  13. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

I took some micromesh and blended those down on the neck a bit...and I play it constantly so those areas have....well blended....

Nice guitar!

SMAZCO likes this.
  14. BurstingOut

I haven't been lucky enough to play any other CC's. What would be your top 5? Are there any with similar necks like Shanks? (At least in shape)

15. lassie

lassie Member

As for myself, I’ve played a CC28 once, and owned a Ace Frehley for a short period. The CC28 had a neck that was a tad thicker, with more shoulder. The neck of the Ace Frehley 1959 was very similar to the neck of the Shanks. From what I’ve read on here, the neck shape of the CC7 was said to be closest to original bursts, but I can’t comment on that. o_O

BurstingOut likes this.
  16. Tomburst

Tomburst Senior Member

Yes. I have a cc15 #67 and the neck is very similar to the cc7. No shoulders and from the 4th or 5th fret upwards towards the body it starts to be very difficult to notice any difference. But at the first few frets I'd say the cc15 is a touch 'smaller' in the hand.
    A great pairing with the shanks as the gregburst has more meat in the bridge pickup. A more aggressive tone compared to the shanks spanky pup. Aggressive in a very good way like a good kossoff tone. Very similar sounding however in the rhythm/mid positions.

Sct13 and BurstingOut like this.