Shanks question

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by BurstingOut, Dec 22, 2017.

1. dleake

dleake Senior Member

Congrats @BurstingOut ! You're going to absolutely love it! Put up some photos when you get a minute! I got my CreamTone aged milk bottle Grovers from @markguitar

Sct13 and BurstingOut like this.
  2. dleake

dleake Senior Member

A couple shots of the original "Shanks" just for good measure! :cheers:

caed7411bf534507b6b1768e8268bbfc.jpg

cd7213b13f079a6dc066fcdcce65a285.jpg

01137292eb9cf2d3be363da1bacfc153.jpg

serch777, Chef Greg, RAG7890 and 2 others like this.
  3. BurstingOut

BurstingOut Senior Member

4. BurstingOut

It's all about this neck. Now I finally understand. Its not at all about the radius or depth. I was a little concerned about the depth because my hands are not very big. I have longish fingers for my hand size though. When I pulled this out of the case the neck shape looked very weird, unlike any of my other LP's. Its like a hump. It is deep but the perfect rounded shape with no shoulders. I feel nothing 'in the way' when I do fast runs up the neck. Also, the neck width at the nut is slightly less? It's not as narrow as my 76' Custom but it's narrower than my other historics. Is that true?

Sct13 likes this.
  5. BurstingOut

20171223_153250_2.jpg 20171223_153238.jpg 20171223_153304.jpg
    I don't know why but my pics are coming in rotated now.
    Id like to mention buying from Mark was a very good experience. Quick communication back and forth via email. I wired the payment and it was a trouble free. Guitar was also packed very well.

6. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Congrats! And welcome to the club ....

I never measured the width of the nut....

It neck shape is definalty a winner is all regards....While I prefer a beefier neck for lead solo's in some songs, this one falls right in middle. You may have a sight V to yours?

BurstingOut likes this.
  7. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

It's definitely neck and pickups. It's a time where top meant nothing to me. It's truly a players guitar.

I bought my Beano from Mark. We had great communications along the way as well. Good dude.

Sct13 and BurstingOut like this.
  8. Crotch

Welcome to the sideways image 20170403_133608.jpg shanks club

BurstingOut and Sct13 like this.
  9. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

this was my Shanks. The red was less bright, my old camera exaggerated the red

IMG_3486 (Large).jpg

BurstingOut and Sct13 like this.
  10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Funny how everyone goes ape$hit about the Neck on the Shanks.

All of my Custom Guitars have great Necks so why can’t Gibson get ALL Necks right on high end Guitars??

It is really easy / simple to get a Neck right if you know what you’re doing & take time to get it right.

:cheers2:

Sct13, BurstingOut and Crotch like this.
  11. Crotch

Why would Gibson do things people want and like?

BurstingOut and RAG7890 like this.
  12. BurstingOut

Exactly.
    You know if they can get the line of Shanks with the same neck carve they can do it over and over. Every Les Paul neck should be based on this but maybe with varying depths. There shouldn't be a shoulder. This rounded profile is where your index finger going into the pad of your hand rests and moves along the neck. When there's a shoulder there you feel it. More shoulder, less rounded, more uncomfortable.

RAG7890 likes this.
  13. BurstingOut

Also I noticed the rounded binding. It just adds more comfort. This is another thing that should be done to all CS for that price. I mean it doesn't really add any cost, knocking off the edge, rounding it...When the binding is a hard edge you also feel that. I don't think Gibson has ever been run from a player's perspective though, eh?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  14. Sct13

I have been rounding the edges since I saw this on a gold top. That sharp edge can really cut into your forearm tissue....I rounded my HM (forearm area)

The neck with the rounded edges is a gimme...it has to be done....The HM came perfect. The CC#7 needed a bit of work and the nitro edges were still sharp.

15. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Not everyone, just those that love and own the Shanks. I am sure there are many that do not love and gel with the Shanks neck but they just do not reply since they did not buy one or like it.

Neck shape is a personal preference thing. It is because most everyone does not like the same neck style. If only it was that simple for manufacturers it would be amazing but some like big, some like smaller, some like super thin, etc....

IMO there is no perfect shape for everyone. It all depends on what a player personally likes and as a manufacturer it's not easy to please all those preferences with one style of neck.

kingsxman, DanD, FKO and 1 other person like this.
  16. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Surprised Malcolm hasn't weighed in on this thread, he had a really low #'d Shanks that he said was an awesome guitar.

17. Sct13

Bingo...

I have three Les Paul's and Three different neck carves. CC#7 is on the smaller end of "my" spectrum....

18. BurstingOut

I was talking strictly about the neck binding along the fretboard. I mean it has to be done before they put the frets in. Not something you can do yourself without a refret. I never noticed the body binding being a problem on a lp personally.
    The nitro edges were sharp on yours? You mean where it's worn away on the top rear edge and the back around the switch plate? What did you do with it?

19. Sct13

I'm Sorry .....I do that....I'll talk about one thing and completely miss your point .....I meant to acknowledge the neck roundness ....

However there was a gold top I had that was filed down right where the nitro finish is removed, on the top, where your forearm rests. I filed this area on my HM and sanded slightly on the CC#7 to relive the edge.

not sure why I thought to say that....too much pain medication and wine I guess .....:facepalm:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  20. 59noob

59noob Senior Member

I for one do not personally like the Shanks neck profile very much, over time I found it too "flat" for its width, and too little shoulder, but as jlb32 said neck profile is a very personal thing, I much prefer my HM 50s neck profile, pretty much perfect for me. As 59/60 transition profiles go, I also tried to like the R0 V2 profile, but found it had too "square". Nobody can properly articulate neck profiles with mere word descriptions, and everyone has their own preferences and also different ways to describe what they feel.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    BurstingOut likes this.