SG sound issues

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by jbat, Oct 21, 2017.

1. jbat

jbat Member

I'll preface this post by saying I wasn't where to put it. I'll start here and leave it to the mods to move it if that's appropriate.

I recently removed all the components on the my 2017 SG Standard so I could install grounding paint in the control and pup cavities. Everything went fine until I reassembled the guitar and got no sound. My plug in tuner wouldn't work nor would plugging into my amp. This guitar has the PCB board.

I'm almost positive I reinstalled everything correctly because I took pictures before I started. I've double checked the connections, checked the ground with a multimeter (between the wire itself and the stop piece stud) and done some preliminary troubleshooting with the multimeter as well, to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Also, I'm not averse to simply buying a new harness and going that route, but I don't want to buy new pups. I'm just not sure if the stock pups can be modified from the PCB configuration so I can solder them onto the new harness.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. VDeuce

VDeuce Senior Member

Take some pics and post 'em...

Guitaraxe likes this.
  3. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

To me it sounds like it is the jack itself. I dont know how stuff works on the board models, but if you are not getting anything
    with the plug-in tuner, Im gonna go with an issue at the jack itself.

DarrellV, tiller2 and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  4. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

I'm going to go even simpler: Make sure the shielding paint isn't touching anything it shouldn't be.

5. jbat

jbat Member

You were spot on BP. The exposed solder joints on the bottom of the board were touching the electrically continuous paint and shorting out the harness. No damage, but no sound either. I pulled the board and covered the exposed joints with electrical tape. Problem solved. The SG is now back up and running.

Thanks for the help! :dude:

endial and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  6. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

No problem, and glad I could help. I had an Ibanez that had the same issue, and drove me insane for few days, trouble shooting the issue. Learn from others bad experiences!

endial likes this.