SG- pickguard vs ring mounted pickups

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by filtersweep, Nov 27, 2017.

1. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Aesthetics aside, what sayeth MLP about any difference between an SG with pickups mounted to a pick guard, versus in a set of rings mounted to the body?

I stumbled across a Standard from 2010-- with guard mounted pickups-- in a trade. I wasn't really looking for an SG, nor did I need one, but given the win-win trade, I sure wanted it. So I couldn't be too choosy, but regardless, this thing sounds amazing, and plays very well. I don't care about historically correct anything. Just thinking about how the design might or might not impact tone.

2. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

It's a matter of choice. No functional difference. In 61-63 the Les Paul -SG's had the half guard and mounting rings. The full face guard showed up about ~65. Later the re-issues or "61" models had the half guard, and the USA models had a full one, with exceptions of course. They both have their place history, so as long as you like what you have, you're good to go! Enjoy it!

3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Anytime you set your pickup differently you can expect tonal variation. The batwing style SG most often sets up with the pickup slanted with respect to the strings.

4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I have both. Makes no difference to me.

I like the big guard, aesthetically, but really don't care. My SG Classic with the big guard is as good of a guitar as any I have owned, including some Custom Shop guitars.

5. laterider

laterider Gold Supporter Premium Member

My 79 SG had ring mounted PU's and I had that for a long time until I bought a guitar again. I thought the batwing guard didn't look right for some time. Then I got an ebony 2004 with batwing guard and a nice chunky neck. I came to find I really like both variants and of course doesn't make a tonal difference. I do seem to favor ebony for color but one thing I do prefer is SGs with chunky necks. The 17/18 models would be the bees knees if they had a rounded profile but its not super thin so I bought a 17 in ebony anyway. I did have a 61RI for a bit but flipped it, those necks are to thin and I would rather have the standard neck style join as well. Don't let it out but I'm an SG addict as well...

mdubya likes this.