SG Guitars With P-90s

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by Frogfur, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I have one and it was my first Gibson Guitar after everything else was taken care of, my wife said if you want one get it bless her heart. What i wanted was an SG. Les Pauls were still a ways away cost wise.
    I had to convince Betty I really needed one. I later just ordered one because, I've always found it easier to beg for forgiveness rather than beg for permission. You got to know your limitations.

So here is mine. It is special for a couple of reasons. One, it was my first one since 1973. And it was new ! and it had P-90s.
    IMG_20180811_194006_8232.jpg

IMG_20180811_194032_6420.jpg
    She's got Locking Grovers which i like. Look good and ad mass to the head stock. This factory nut was cut good.

IMG_20180811_194132_6445.jpg
    This guitar has an American Bigsby B5 mounted on a custom made manifold of an original design, made for me by my guitar partner in his machine shop in 1998 before Vibramate.

He realized that mounting a bigsby directly on the body put the Bigsby too low to be practical which is true. By mounting higher it positions the pitch bar handle to operate in a more useful way. That also makes this guitar special.
    IMG_20180811_194200_3669.jpg
    It also incorporates a roller bridge which i find helpful when you have a Bigsby. Anything to allow the strings to move freely as possible. It also incorporates a Jonsey harness inside.
    She's a sexy thing ..
    IMG_20180811_201413_2185.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018

2. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Senior Member

First, I’m partial to P90’s. I had an old SG special from the mid 60s that I picked up in the 80s. At times, it sounded so good it was startling. However, the very thin neck made me leery that it was going to break so I sold it. I later bought another one that was on sale at GC, a 2010 model. That one sounded good as well but was a little dark for my taste. This is the one I have now, one of the Pete Townsend 50th anniversary models. It sounds great.

E9673E2E-520C-4316-9D1A-EB13FACCFC50.jpeg

3. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Admittedly not a Gibson but very nice. Vintage brand Mick Abrahams SG with Irongear 'P90s'.
    mick a SG irongear P90s.JPG

MooCheng, HeartString, FennRx and 7 others like this.

4. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

5. Harleytech

Harleytech Member

All of the above guitars look nice !! Just picked up this one a couple days ago... Too cool to pass on, Had to get it..Play's great , Stay's in tune and the P90's sound great !
    [​IMG]

6. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

This is a creation of Exnihilo, but I consider it a P90 SG...

20160902_093540.jpg

MooCheng, mdubya, HeartString and 5 others like this.

7. bossaddict

bossaddict @david.beason on IG Premium Member

Mine has only one P-90, but it rules.

[​IMG]

8. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Adding mass to the headstock of an SG is generally not a good thing, since they are unbalanced instruments, but with a big hunk of Bigsby sitting there, it's no problem on this one. Gibson's P90s are pretty good. I have a Lollar on one of mine, and a Gibson on the other, and they're both fine. Gibson P90s have many fans -- they're one of the few PUs that people down't swap out instantly. Did you notice that your guitar is made backwards?

HeartString and Frogfur like this.

9. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

I’m just drooling.

bossaddict likes this.

10. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

To each their own. We're all in this together.
    First off, from my point of view any mass is good and can help with sustain. Secondly, I always hold onto any guitar. Nose dive is not an issue.
    This guitar sustains very nicely, I feel due to the mass of the Bigsby and those Grovers. Grocers are the heaviest tuners weight wise on the market. I'm keeping them on there.

MooCheng, dsmcl77 and Blue Blood like this.

11. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Purely anecdotal, but my best-sustaining guitar is not super heavy and has an aluminum wraparound bridge and Kluson strip tuners. Not sure I buy the whole mass=sustain argument from the old brass hardware era... I don't like heavy guitars or heavy hardware.

As cool as SG specials are, I never hear a ton of sonic difference b/w the two pickups -- it's almost like a guitar w/ two middle pickups, since the neck one is pretty far away from the end of the fretboard and the bridge one is pretty far from the bridge. I like LP Specials a little better, sonically, even though I absolutely love SGs.

12. Sharp

Sharp Senior Member

I have a LP special dc with p-90's, otherwise I would get an SG with them. Live at Leeds baby!

13. Craig Sock

Craig Sock Seen my keys? Gold Supporter

That is really nice.

dc007 and bossaddict like this.

14. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I've had mine out just about all week. I really do like the SG guitars, and the fact that they have never once gone out of production since their introduction really says something about their lasting design.
    20180817_134149.jpg
    Love my SG with P-90s.

MooCheng, HeartString, endial and 2 others like this.

15. Strat87

Strat87 Senior Member

[​IMG]

My beloved classic

Frogfur, veeman, mdubya and 3 others like this.

16. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Senior Member

Just like mine. I dropped an Allparts Old Style Tunematic (quality MIJ ABR type bridge with 4mm mounting holes that drop on Nashville posts), a Gotoh aluminum lightweight TP and RS steel studs on mine. All of those things allowed me to drop the TP almost all of the way down, with the Nashville it had to be too high in order to avoid the strings hitting the back of the bridge, and the combo of those little mods made it sound even better. Gonna replace the crappy Gibson logo CGE pots with good 500k vintage taper ones when I get a chance. Great guitars, when I got mine from my brother (it was brand new), I had the choice of it or the Townsend model with the wrap TP, I thought the Classic sounded and felt better, even though the Townsend was a more expensive guitar.

P.S. I forgot to mention I later added a Bigsby B5/Vibramate shorthorn to it. I think that enhanced the tone even more. Always wanted a Bigsby on one of my guitars, I already have an SG Standard with regular tunematic/(lightweight) TP, so I decided to put the Bigs on this one.
    Al

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018

17. danohat

danohat Senior Member

E4B98271-AA8E-446D-B7EF-322215715D29.jpeg
    I got one. A Classic.

Frogfur, MooCheng, mdubya and 3 others like this.

18. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

A friend from a previous band has a Norlin SG and newer SG standard that both have p90s. Those guitars absolutely scream. After going thru several SGs over the years, I’m thinking maybe the key is avoid HB models and try something different.

Frogfur likes this.

19. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

My friend's '61RI with 57s and my SGJ with 490s sound quite acceptable and gig very nicely.
    My Vintage Mick Abrahams with Irongear P90s hasn't been gigged yet. Perhaps it will come with me next time - will be interested in the hum element - don't normally use S/Cs.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    FennRx likes this.

20. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Oh I know. Plenty of people rocking SGs but they just don’t seem to match up with my crappy playing. ;)

SaltyCat and garybaldy like this.