SG Down!!! How screwed am I?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gojo03, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Gojo03

Gojo03 Senior Member

We live in smallish rooms when I'm at work. We recently received some new furniture which made the smallish rooms feel smaller. That SG has been out here with me for the last 2 years without incident, never really seeing the inside of a case. I have used a guitar dock for a long while without any issues. The other day I turned my desk chair towards the desk and the back of the chair clipped the top of the headstock and popped it out of the dock. I knew exactly what happened as soon as I heard the snap!

Once it's glued and set, I'll throw up some more pics. I also moved the dock away from my chair!

Who likes this.
  2. 70Falcon

70Falcon Junior Member

Sorry to hear that happened. Hopefully it will come out good as new when you're finished with the repair...

Gojo03 likes this.
  3. Robbie

Robbie Member

You need to make cauls for pressing the two pieces together and hold them flat while they are drying. Cauls also let you tighten clamps without denting the mahogany. First, practice assembling and clamping the neck and headstock until you can do it fluidly. Then use an acid brush to paint on Titebond III generously, assemble, putting sheets of wax paper between headstock and cauls, then tighten the cauls lightly. Now, remove the clamps and use a damp rag or sponge to remove excess glue from areas other than the joint, and reassemble with clean wax paper.The wax paper keeps the cauls from being glued to the headstock. Tighten just enough to hold firmly together, but not so much that you force all glue from the joint, aka "starving the joint." Let dry for 24 hours or more.

As for cosmetics, the main thing is the front of the headstock. You can buy a new black veneer with inlays on eBay or elsewhere. Remove the old one before you fix the broken headstock using a hair dryer to loosen glue. Remove veneer glue with naptha, acetone and a card scraper, repair headstock, then glue on new veneer. Sand headstock face before gluing veneer if necessary. To drill holes in veneer for tuning keys, clamp caul that covers entire face of headstock and drill from rear of headstock into caul. This will prevent tearout of the veneer. For the truss rod cover, use an exacto knive. Start in the middle and slowly trim away veneer. Patience! If you try to rush it you will screw it up. Change blades often so it's always sharp.

Check this out:

Gojo03 likes this.
  4. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Why III? It doesn't need to be waterproof.

5. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

I’m no tech but that looks like just about the best break you could have hoped for: full truss rod length of the neck is still intact and a nice wide surface area to glue the headstock back on. Plus the whole guitar is black so the touch up spray will be a cinch to blend. Get thee to a luthieree!

Gojo03 and Who like this.
  6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

You are absolutely correct on most counts, but contrary to popular belief, black can often be one of the harder colors to match!

Best Of Luck To Gojo03!
    Gene

tolm and Gojo03 like this.
  7. Robbie

Robbie Member

Longer open time. Someone doing this for the first time needs a glue that dries slowly so they have time to get everything aligned and clean excess glue.

8. Who

I was thinking Titebond original, to allow easy cleanup after the fact.

fumblefinger likes this.
  9. Gojo03

Gojo03 Senior Member

I have already ordered titebomd original. I will probably never try to fix the cosmetics on it. Thanks for the tips on the repair, but I just want it to be playable again. Once Amazon ships the stuff it'll take a little over a week for it to get here, so I hope it ships soon!

10. Who

Wow.... where do you live? You can't be more than 15 minutes from a bottle of Titebond in a hardware store.

Good luck with the repair! I think it will be fine. Don't spend time taking pics while you're doing it, just get it fitted and clamped.

dickjonesify likes this.
  11. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

i was kinda thinking the same thing. I thought that stuff was available everywhere.

fumblefinger likes this.
  12. Gojo03

Gojo03 Senior Member

I live in SC but work on the other side of the world. Kind of a bad neighborhood, so I'm not going out to look for a hardware store, lol

13. Gojo03

Gojo03 Senior Member

I finally received my package yesterday. So, here is where I'm at right now! Waiting game now...

IMG_2186.JPG IMG_2187.JPG

Who likes this.
  14. Who

I know it gets made fun of here, in other threads... but this might be a good guitar to add a String Butler to.

[​IMG]

Get a black one.....you'll never notice the repair!

[​IMG]

kmasters68 likes this.
  15. tolm

I’ve never heard of those but that’s a great idea! Wondering if one is worth trying on my 335 to get a straighter “through the nut” angle and help with Bigsby stability? Not that I have a huge issue at the moment but I can’t see how it would hurt ...

kmasters68 likes this.
  16. Who

NewDayHappy likes this.
  17. Gojo03

Gojo03 Senior Member

Current situation w/10-52s... Seems pretty stable so far!
    IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2190.JPG

18. bhmcintosh

bhmcintosh Les Pauls, Telcasters, and 12strings Premium Member

Mask off the fingerboard and the top half of the headstock, sand the breaklines smooth, and feather in some rattlecan black lacquer and you'll be good to go, at least for a rough-and-ready around the office beater guitar.

Remember, there are two kinds of SG owners - those with a broken headstock, and those who haven't dropped theirs yet. :D

tolm, dickjonesify and Gojo03 like this.
  19. Who

Looks like you're back in the SG-playin' business!

Gojo03 likes this.
  20. tolm

Looking good! Well, looking like a solid repair, I mean!!