SG Down!!! How screwed am I?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gojo03, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Gojo03

Gojo03 Senior Member

So, my 2014 SG Standard took a spill yesterday and broke the headstock clean off. I'm trying to decide what direction I'm going to take with it now. I work away from home and have the guitar with me. That means I don't really have anyone close that I can get it to quickly. I can bring it home with me, but that'll be around March. So, here's the options I have come up with so far....

I try to glue it up and see if it holds.
    Bring it home with me and seek pro help.
    Order another body and scrap it.

1: I would have to order some glue and try to figure out some kind of fixture to set it in place to do the repair myself. I don't have access to any woodworking gear, so any other bracing wouldn't happen. It is kind of a beater, so I don't care what it ends up looking like, as long as it is solid.
    2: It isn't worth a ton, so the repair cost would have to be low for that option to be considered. Time frame isn't an issue since I can leave it as long as necessary.
    3: Replacing the body wouldn't be difficult, I would just have to drop the $$$ for it and wait for it to be shipped out here and hope it doesn't break in route.

Any other ideas or options I haven't thought of?

IMG_1597.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG IMG_2149.JPG

NewDayHappy and Who like this.
  2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

This is a fairly classic break, and it can be repaired fairly easily of you are handy. I've not done it before, so I will let others who have chime in on best practices.

Who likes this.
  3. Norton

Norton Senior Member

Piece of cake repair. Glue/clamps/24hrs and you’ll be good as new

Gojo03, Who and fumblefinger like this.
  4. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

Ugh. I'd make it a shattered guitar wall hanger and buy a new one if that happened to mine. There was a really cool one in the background of the movie Vanilla Sky, but I can't find a photo. It was kinda like this:

[​IMG]

NewDayHappy and rockstar232007 like this.
  5. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Do it yourself, wood glue, clamps. It's a lot easier than it looks.

Gojo03, Who and Duane_the_tub like this.
  6. Gojo03

Gojo03 Senior Member

Titebond hide glue or the original?

7. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Assuming you can fit the pieces together seamlessly and clamp it without them moving, I'd use UF glue.

Its my new favorite for joints that dont ever need to come apart, and of course the goal here is a repair that will never come apart.

I reiterate though, make sure you can fit the pieces together perfectly. Remove any little splinters that might be hanging off and preventing a perfect mating of the two faces. Test-clamp it and make sure it wont slide apart when you glue it. Glue can be a lube that, when under clamping pressure, can make the pieces slide.

UF dries hard and brittle as glass so is great for the same reasons as hide glue, but has a real long open time. It'll never release, though, so if it moves when you clamp it you'd have an issue.

8. kmasters68

kmasters68 Senior Member

Easy fix. Cosmetics are your only real issue.

bhmcintosh, Who and fumblefinger like this.
  9. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

That's right. When I quote for that kind of fix it's relatively cheap for just the fix. If you want an invisible repair? That's where all the work is.

kasu, wildhawk1, Gojo03 and 7 others like this.
  10. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

Titebond is about $4 at a hardware store. Buy a few clamps and you should be able to have this fixed up for under $30, easy.

bhmcintosh and Who like this.
  11. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Nevermind the work, thats where your experience comes in.
    To be honest for a first attempt at a headstock repair stick with titebond 1. It is reverseable if you mess it up with minimal issuses. Urea formaldehyde glue is a fantastic product but requires absolute precision cause it ain't coming apart again.
    Titebond has been used the world over for this exact repair with great results.
    If you are looking for a better looking repair then you should look at replacing the fiber board overlay on the front of the headstock. There are several sources for new ones that look good. The it is a matter of touching up the nitro on the back of the neck. Black is a b to match but with paitence its something that wont be noticed unless up close.

bhmcintosh, Who and fumblefinger like this.
  12. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

If you can, I'd make a bit of a jig so that the headstock can't creep out under clamping.

Attached Files:

13. Paully

Paully Senior Member

Skaaaa-Rood !

dcomiskey likes this.
  14. warprider

warprider Senior Member

Look at all that surface area. Consider yourself lucky.

kasu, Thumpalumpacus, Gojo03 and 2 others like this.
  15. Gojo03

Gojo03 Senior Member

I ordered some titebond and some clamps on Amazon today. Probably be here next week sometime... I'll let you guys know the how it goes! Thanks for the tips

bhmcintosh and Who like this.
  16. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Clean break. Should a piece of cake. Just get it lined up straight and it will be good. Kirk Hammet says it will sound better, too!

Gojo03 and fumblefinger like this.
  17. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

dry fit the piece back on before glueing, insuring there aren't any stray fibers inhibiting a clean, tight fit. If they are small and can't be coaxed back into place with confidence, simply remove them. This also gives you an opportunity to figure out how you are going to clamp it. bear in mind that when you clamp it with glue, the pieces may want to slide a bit. be sure that they are in the correct alignment when the glue tacks up. remove as much of the excess glue with cloth dampened with water. may help to make two clamping cauls (flat smooth boards or plywood covered with vinyl tape to ensure glue doesn't stick to them) to sandwich the headstock in. this ain't rocket science, so don't over think it. snug clamp seamless joint is what you are going for. keep us posted.

cain61, Gojo03 and fumblefinger like this.
  18. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Banned

I wanna see this after the repair..
    Should come out fairly nice, Lots of surface area, clean break..

Gojo03, Who and fumblefinger like this.
  19. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

You will be fine. Since you're using Titebond, you don't need to be super careful about managing squeeze-out. You can clean it up later.

While you wait for the supplies, here is my first-timer thread for doing this:
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/epi-custom-headstock-neck-break-repair-another-thread.278972/

[​IMG]

If I was doing it again, I'd take @fumblefinger's advice, and use a jig. Or a heavy table near a wall.

Here's my second one:
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/re...tock-guitar-30-epi-sg-craigslist-find.371252/

That one didn't have all the surface are you are "blessed" with.
    [​IMG]

By the time I did my third one, I didn't even make a thread. Just some glue, two clamps, it was playable 24 hours later.
    [​IMG]

You can do it!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  20. 70Falcon

70Falcon Junior Member

Just curious, how did this happen?