SG Build bridge position

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Voske, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Voske

Voske Junior Member

Hey guys,

I'm building an SG replica for my son who is a great Angus Young fan.
    I've got most of the woodworking done and now I'm up for drilling the holes for the TOM bridge and tailpiece. So far, so good!

[​IMG]
    Since this is my first time in building a guitar from scratch, I followed the suggestions of Jack Briggs http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/compensated-bridge-location.30898/ to locate the position of the bridge.

Now I run into this puzzle: I've double checked the plans and measured out the scale length (24.75") on the guitar and it looks like the bridge has to be quite close to the bridge pup, closer than drawn in the plans. If I follow the plans, the bridge would be placed almost 4mm wider from the end of the fingerboard as my calculations are.

[​IMG]

The most left crosshair is the location according the method of Jack Briggs. The circled crosshair is the location according the plan.
    I've double checked the measurements and the guitar is dead on with the plans.

What spooks me even more is that when I position the pre-drilled pickguard in place, the position of the bridge goes even more towards the end of the guitar.

[​IMG]

So my question is: What should I do? What should be the best place to install the TOM?
    Thanks for your advice in advance!

Greets,
    Marc

2. fordmugg

fordmugg Senior Member

What you can do is mount your tail piece put in the frets and then string it up, then you can position the bridge and check for Intonation

3. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

It must intonate regardless of what the plans say. Measure from nut to 12th fret and take that dimension and measure from 12th to mark location for bridge. Install tailpiece on centerline of fret board and intonate starting at that marked location. Once intimated mark and drill.

Regards Peter.

4. Voske

Voske Junior Member

Thanks for the replies!
    I've already read about shimming the bridge in place and find out the exact bridge position that way.
    I thought I'd first mark the bridge position and then determine where the tailpiece would be.

Is there a maximum, or perfect distance between the bridge and the tailpiece?