Seymour Duncan Joe Bonamassa Signature Pickup Set

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by EEF13, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

One thing that is good to know is the resistance of the coils.

I pickups with a reading of 7.1 k is going to be a low powered less crunchy pickup. as opposed to a pickup that is 13k that will be great for what your doing. The Joe B's fall in to the 7.59k and 8.09k My set (#0025) I asked for a ever so slight increase on the second set just to make them different at 7.64k and 8.76k and it made a big difference in when they get a bit dirtier. These are better for high gain.

Your situation is your situation, I dont know what your looking for but the Joe B's can handle it. I play through a 68 Marshall usually dime ( or close to it)

The Haussles I have are the 13k, they are a bit too powerful for me.

2. BlackForestSociety

BlackForestSociety Junior Member

...and just because i use more gain than most of you or joe b. doesnt mean i don't deserve a great, classy sound ;-) just jokin'...

i just wanted a quick opinion from someone who owns the set and has experience with them in higher gain settings, bass attack/response ect...

best regards

3. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Alright!

You know, I'm mainly a 335 player, playing Blues Robben Ford style, and I'm a Smooth Jazz lover.

For my next project, I got me an Epi 339, which I've "boutique converted" the Epi Probuckers it came with, so I think the set I've used for over four years in my #1 335 before going full PAF, would fill the bill of what you're asking for and then some:

neck: Seymour Duncan A4 modded '59n.
    bridge: Seymour Duncan A8 modded Custom.

Believe me when I tell you that that's what you want. Forget the JBs. They're GREAT p'ups... but they just won't deliver what you're asking for.

As I see you're in Germany, if you'll be interested in getting the right magnets to mod the p'ups, just PM me. I'll be able to help you.

Vielen Gruessen,

4. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Here is a demo testing the SD JB signatures i did back in August.

The only thing i really really hate about this pickups are the covers, nothing close to what a vintage cover is in shape.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5TRbxr8F4U]Joe Bonamassa signature Pickups by Seymour Duncan. - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  5. BlackForestSociety

BlackForestSociety Junior Member

i dont care about correct vintage sizes and so on, it needs to sound good.
    I turned a few knobs now on my amp, and the 57 classics sound better now. output wise i wouldnt need more. do you think there is a huge difference tone wise between the stock pups and the jb's that would justify the price?

regards

6. nicolasrivera

if price is your concern then there are othe boutique pickups that are great sounding, far better then the stock ones.

JB signature set is great, but you are paying aditional dollars for signatures, limit run, etc.

7. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

After listening to clips and reading as much as I could, I just ordered a set of Bonamassa's.

2 people like this.
  8. nicolasrivera

You won't be disappointed :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  9. Sct13

:applause::applause:

10. Butcher123

Butcher123 Member

Ugly but great sounding, i hate the "aged" things, so unnatural

11. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

I cleaned mine up with "Never Dull". Look great now.

12. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

I got a set on trade and finally got around to installing them last night. I was not impressed.

To get them sounding passable, I had to drop the screws on the neck and suck it right up to the strings to get a good sound, then I had to drop the bridge quite low to wrestle away the icepick it was attacking me with. I was plugged into my 15W Tweaker and they sounded ..meh. Muddy on the neck and shrill on the bridge. I went to bed a little sad.

This morning....

No further adjusting, but I plugged them into my Fender Blues DeVille for a louder take and H0LY 5H!T! These pickups need to be played loud to get the true voice out of them, and oh my god, what a voice they have! I was truly blown away; these are my new favorite pickups and I've tried a lot of others. Reverb, clean, dirty...they can handle it all.

Perspective
    Currently in my humbucker guitars, I have

Wizz Premium PAFs
    Skatterbrane Woodbranes and Metalbranes
    1983 Shaws
    Guitarforce LoTBs
    Duncan Seth Lovers

on my bench waiting for guitars;

Throbak SLE 101 LTD
    Skatterbrane BenWabranes
    ReWind JP Pre72
    Dubya*Bee H*A*B*S and Vintage Tuned PAFs
    more Shaws and T-Tops
    My own up and coming winds

The Bonamassa set are in there to stay... the rest are now getting looked at sideways with suspicious glances regarding their sonic value (well, not all of them!) I'm no expert but I know what I like when I hear it! :dude:

1 person likes this.
  13. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Senior Member

I've had my Bonamassas in my Corsa for a bit over a week now and really digging them. I have a set of Re-Wind low outputs on the way so it'll be interesting to compare them.

14. Sct13

your gonna love the low winds....even more of dat sound....:)

15. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Senior Member

Yeah I actually can't wait. Got a tracking number today which means I'll have them next week. Good thing as I have a guest spending the weakend and no time to mess with guitars :)

16. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

Yeah they hate low watt amps for some reason. Btw try putting a delay with the bonamassa set and you'll really hit the tones it was made for.

Btw when you tired of those Wizz pickups you let me know. *wink wink*

17. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Tire of my WIZZ? Surely you can't be serious.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. cruncher

cruncher Junior Member

Hi Guy's I put the Bonamassa set in My Ibanez SG Costum 1975, in the middle possition I left one of my two Seymour Duncans SH-4 JB.
    The set sounds warm en creamy on my Marshall JTM30. When i swich teh SH4 JB together on, with one of Joe's PAFs I get a Single coil sound as een Stratocaster, The SH4 JB was in the beginning to loud for the 2 Pafs (7.4 & 8.3) with his DC 16.45 KOHm !!!! So we changed the connection of it

Attached Files:

19. keith longstaff

keith longstaff Senior Member

I've just received my SD JB signature set and fitted them into a Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Pelham Blue along with cts tvt pots, Russian PIO caps wired 50's style, switchcraft switch and jack. I'm really happy with them. I only finished fitting them a short time ago but the 5 mins I've played its late here in the UK and I'm not waking the misses I don't need the grief. So much better than the burstbuckers it came with

Neck 7.70k
    Bridge 8.18k

20. j200george

j200george Senior Member

What difference would these make on my les paul custom, black beauty circa 2009?
    [​IMG]
    Feeling another attack of gas coming on ...