Seymour Duncan Bonamassa Skinnerburst set

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Laro, Jun 6, 2016.

1. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Member

[​IMG]

2. Wylde Chylde

Wylde Chylde Senior Member

Specs were updated yesterday afternoon on the SD site. DCR is now listed as 8.2k and 8.7k respectively.

3. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Member

Interesting. That's certainly more accurate as my set reads 8.3k and 8.7k.

4. Roadcat

Roadcat Member

I own a very nice example of the Skinnerburst. My question is, how will installing a set of these pickups affect the value if my guitar? Thanks for your opinion.

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I don't know if even expensive pickup upgrades tend to increase the value of the guitar. Generally, if you are worried about value, save the old pickups. But if putting in a set of pickups makes you want to pick up the guitar more, then it is more valuable to you, which is what matters until you decide to sell it.

6. Roadcat

Roadcat Member

Actually, I was more concerned with a loss of value as a result of non- originality. What do you think?

7. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Save the old pickups. When it comes time to sell, put them back in.

8. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Conventional wisdom says stock will hold its value better. But if I were looking for a Skinnerburst and one happened to have Limited Edition Skinnerburst pickups in it, that would be a positive selling point to me. But as Zoobiedood said, keep the original pickups.

9. Roadcat

Roadcat Member

Thank you for your input, gentlemen. I truly appreciate it!

10. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

Just picked up Set Number 027

Neck Resistance: 8.3k
    Bridge Resistance: 8.6k.

I know where set # 29 and #36 black bobbin are if you want a low set. all made on 6/30/2016 by Master Craftsman "M.J." Pm me.

11. skelt101

skelt101 Senior Member

Do you mean "M.J."? Or has the Custom Shop expanded their roster...?

12. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

Im pretty sure you know the answer too your question

13. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Now i want a set. Sound tasty. How much are they going for again? 3 something ?

14. skelt101

skelt101 Senior Member

Actually, I didn't know the answer. That's why I asked. I do see that you updated your previous post... :hmm:

15. framos

framos Senior Member

Just got set #511 (8.3k, 8.8k) yesterday, and played it for a few hours last night.

Tested it on my '14 R9 and '03 Braz R7. Both guitars had BKP Mules (A4) previously.

The first thing I immediately noticed is that the Skinners are more scooped, softer, with the a very polite high end. The neck is very articulate, no boomy bass, very touch sensitive. The bridge is very clear, good punch without being overly aggressive. These pickups are a typical example of how resistance values can be misleading...

I liked them better on the R7 than the R9, because my R7 has naturally more low mids than my R9, which complimented the Skinners very well. They are staying for sure!

All in all, great pickups!

16. Heppe

Heppe Senior Member

How would you say they differ from the Mules?

17. framos

framos Senior Member

When I say "more scooped, softer, with the a very polite high end", I'm inevitably comparing them to the Mules, which are more flat eq'ed and tad tighter in the lows.

Keep in mind I've only played the Skinners for a couple of hours, so these are my initial impressions.

18. LPtronic

LPtronic Junior Member

I just installed the SD set of Skinnerburst pickups into my Skinnerburst VOS LP. While I love the new bridge pickup, the neck pickup has an output that is on the weak side. It sounds somehow skinny. Also when rolling down the volume, it disappears rather quickly in comparison to the previous neck pickup. Moreover, although I played with PU heights, the bridge PU seems always to remain significantly louder than the neck PU (of course when having the volume knobs dialed in identically). (I also changed the wiring to swap the pots just to make sure that it is not an issue with the respective volume pot.)

Is this normal for the SD Skinnerburst set or would you ask for a replacement?

Moreover, I find that the SD Skinnerburst set is very different from the stock PUs with which my Skinnerburst VOS LP (neck: Burstbucker 3, bridge: Custombucker) arrived. Has someone of you made the same experimence?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

19. deadringer

deadringer Senior Member

Yeah, I noticed the same sort of differences. I recently put a SD Skinnerburst set in my VOS Skinnerburst as well. I really like the SD Skinnerburst bridge pickup much better. It is brighter and I generally like a brighter tone. The SD neck pickup does have a little less output, but you're also comparing it to a Burstbucker #3, which is generally used as a bridge pickup.

I'm not sure why Gibson put a BB #3 in the neck position of the Skinnerburst guitar, but maybe the real Skinner has a louder neck pickup. We'd need Jblpplayer to chime in on that one. The Custombucker that Gibson put in the bridge wasn't all that bad and it's an A3 based pickup just like the SD Skinnerburst set.

Overall, I felt like the original Gibson pickups that came in my Skinnerburst were great for an all out rock sound and were quite loud actually. The SD Skinnerburst pickups are a bit more refined and are not quite as aggressive I would say. Though I wouldn't say they were that aggressive, more like a hot PAF style. Overall I'm happy with the Duncan pickups, even though I'm generally not a big fan of their stuff.

The only complaint I would have about the pickups is the aged covers themselves look pretty terrible. You would think a company like Seymour Duncan could get some better looking PAF covers for a big as they are. I mean smaller boutique winders have better covers and they don't have near the name, or capital I assume Duncan has. Just my two cents though. :cool:

20. framos

framos Senior Member

I don't have this loudness issue you have, and I have two Skinner sets. My bridge pickup is about ~3/32" on both sides, and neck ~7/64" on treble side and ~1/8" on the bass side. You sure they're not swapped, or maybe you have two bridge pickups? Can you measure them?

As for the comparison with the stock pickups, the bridge is supposed to be in the same ballpark, but a BB3 in the neck... it's a totally different beast, the BB3 being way stronger. Actually it's not very common to see a BB3 in the neck position...