Seymour Duncan Bonamassa Skinnerburst set

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Laro, Jun 6, 2016.

1. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

I am still loving my set after being installed over a year! I have had no issues with weak outputs or thin sound and have no intention of further pickup swapping for this guitar.

framos and BlueCajun like this.
  2. Starman

Starman Senior Member

I'm guessing mine may have possibly lost magnet strength? It has changed since installation.

3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Unless you have put a strong magnetic field right next to the pickup then this is unlikely. A3 from 50's p90s still show good gauss and they're in a naturally degaussing position.

4. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

my set doesn't strike me as too thin, at least given consideration of what an old vintage PAF should sound like. the only way in which I think it could be considered soft would be in a way that I can remedy with the slightest of tweaks to the amp. I think I could put it in my Top 5 of which I've tried in this class of pickups.

looking forward to the next Bonamassa model, although I think they should put a cease to all the "limited" malarkey and make them all production models. it's pretty much they already do with all their "exclusive" models (i.e., Black Winter, WLH, JB Prototype, Alpha-Omega, etc).

BlueCajun likes this.
  5. DIDIER

DIDIER Junior Member

Got my set yesterday.
    Says 8.3K neck and 8.5K bridge on the box.
    Measured the impedance myself and got 8.3K for both pickups !
    Haven’t put them in my LP yet, should I return the set ?
    Any thoughts on that ?
    Thanks

6. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

The closer the spread the more "quacky" the middle tone should be. The rhythm/treble P.A.F's from the 50's were wound identical. Personally I think you scored on that set. Come back and let us know how they sound.

NotScott likes this.
  7. DIDIER

DIDIER Junior Member

Thanks for your advice Alnico59. I was worried I got 2 neck pu’s even though it says b on one of them.
    By « quacky », do you mean out of phase like Peter Green’s LP ?

8. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Not out of phase, just that clear, defined, cleaner middle tone most chase.

9. DIDIER

DIDIER Junior Member

Oh that’s awesome then .
    I ‘ll put them in my LP and let you know.
    Thanks

10. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Plus the rating you get depends on temperature.......merely handling them for a bit like being asked a question and answering with them in your hands can affect readings.

Plus there is always variance....it is way too much to ask for hair thickness wire to be completely uniform in dimension....or winding tension to be even throughout the coil either. In fact those 2 factors are some of the primary reasons behind the PAF's tone and why we like them in the first place.

alnico59 likes this.
  11. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Good point. I was told to always lay them on the bench, table, etc.. and take the ohm reading while not touching them.

12. darthphineas

the deal with the development of the Skinnerburst set that stands out to me is that they tested the prototypes in one of the Skinnerburst guitars that Gibson was making. so.... a new pup in a new guitar made to sound like a 58 year old pup in a 58 year old guitar. what if you don't have a 59 Lester than needs new pups?

as an example.... it's not far removed from when they made the Slash pups to make the newer, thinner sounding types of LP to sound like Slash's AFD Lester. it took a beefier and hotter pup. it's not quite what some people may expect when they think they are getting the AFD pup, which is an 80s A2P set.

while a perfectly acceptable PAF replica offering, there's little way to know how accurate the Skinnerburst set is unless Joe pulls the original pups from that six-figure guitar and tries them in there... which we can probably all agree won't be happening.

at the end of the day, these are just an homage to a set of 59 PAFs. in all fairness, the Duncan company is a little better at PAF style pups than, say, DiMarzio. but in my opinion, while not all strictly PAFs, the Angus set, the Seth set, and the Greenie set are all higher on the list.

13. Laro

Laro Member

I think your way off base in your first paragraph. This set was not made to try in current production Les Paul’s for testing but to recreate the same pickup in a Joes 59.

14. darthphineas

not following how you mean.

Joe B said (here at 2:50) that "Gibson did a Collector's Choice... 300 copies of the Skinnerburst and we're going to use one of the copies as a test guitar...." that's from Joe's own mouth.

unless he's saying somewhere else that he let a mass-production pup company pull original 1959 PAFs from a six-figure 1959 Lester to test prototypes for a replica pup, Joe B is saying they used a replica guitar to test a replica pup to get both of the elements to sound like the target 1959 Lester.

15. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Plus you want to be testing the pickup back to back. As in just the time to unplug 1 guitar and plug another in. Apart from the absurdity of assuming that they would ever take the pickups out of the original, there is no other way of doing it.

darthphineas likes this.