Seymour Duncan Bonamassa Skinnerburst set

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Laro, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Laro

Laro Member

According to the Seymour Duncan website they are taking pre orders for the Bonamassa Skinnerburst set. Limited to 800. Anyone have any info on this ? Or is this old news?

1 person likes this.
  2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Another custom set, i have the first custom set and they are great, but for that kind of money there are better PAF replicas out there IMO.

But still this is kind of a good investment in the long term.

1 person likes this.
  3. bassmannlespaulman

bassmannlespaulman Senior Member

This seems like the same exact pickup a the last one is just with a alnico 3 in the bridge. ....maybe a bit hotter. ..I'd like to know what ppl think how it sounds compared to the first bonamassa set

4. Starman

Starman Senior Member

I watched a set of used OG Bonamassa's go for $450 yesterday on Ebay, another set is listed at $750 on there right now.

Besides being a huge SD pickup fan, it's a no brainer for me to order a set of these, especially looking at the specs of this A3 set and knowing SDCS quality and sound reproduction on their artist-owned '59 burst replicas.

Thanks to Laro for posting this as I would have easily missed it on the SDCS site.

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I am not sure if any of these started to ship yet as they were more or less just announced.

6. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Member

Like Laro said, they're for pre-order only right now. Not sure when they start shipping. But I'm guessing they will sell pretty quickly. The original Bonamassa signature set sold out pretty fast. There there were 1959 sets of those made vs. the 800 sets of these.

7. Laro

Laro Member

I am happy with what I'm using at the moment, but I ordered a set for possible future use. What the heck.

2 people like this.
  8. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

What are the specs on this set? In 2012 the WLH set was
    "UK only limited to 150 sets" but I'm sure you can always order a set with the same specs.

9. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Member

The Duncan website says the set has a DCR of 8.5k and 8.9k. Of course, that could be misleading depending on other factors such as whether or not the magnets are degaussed like Antiquities:
    Joe Bonamassa Skinner Burst Pickup Set

10. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

since Seymour isn't really winding any more, MJ is really the only one to trust with this set...and she's about to take off for a few weeks. Could be a bit of a wait, unless she already made a lot of them leading up to her vacation time.

11. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

I just looked at the site. I am really interested in trying them. Doesn't really say
    anything about bobbin colour so I assume double black.

12. Laro

Laro Member

Your choice of double black or zebra and aged covers according to the drop down menu.

13. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Proofreading was never my specialty. :)

These remind me of the Skatterbrane Burstbranes which were great pickups. The Skinners A3 in both ends is interesting.

14. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Member

Good to know! As a side note, I found this post on the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop's FB page, dated March 10. Must have been when Joe B brought in Skinner for MJ to reverse engineer the pickups.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  15. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

It'd be interesting to know exactly how much JB let them dig into those pickups. A full scale assault or just some poking with a long stick ;) I'm sure the Duncan team could recreate something similar based on accumulated old data and a few cursory measures though. The original JB/Duncan set was pretty cool.

1 person likes this.
  16. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

Has anybody found any reviews or videos of these that compare their tone to Antiquities or the first Bonamassa set? I have had both of those other sets and know what those sound like. If these can retain the complex mids, most of the highs and just produce a bit more push than those other two sets, I may have to try them. Thanks.

17. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Well, this LTD edition might be different, but I've never known Duncan to do offset coil winds yet. So the testing to get res peak, K rating.......maybe even a gauss reading on the mag perhaps.

I can't imagine Joe would want the pickups too molested with tbh.

18. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

I tried the pest set and they were great. I am intrigued by an 8.58.9k A3 set. Right up my alley. I'm sure they will sound great.

19. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

Yeah, those resistance readings should provide a pup with more push than the others, so I hope. :fingersx:

I think I will order a set and give them a go. If I don't like them and they come with the typical weak sister Duncan magnets, I have a pretty good idea exactly what to replace those magnets with to make them do what I want. :thumb:

20. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Its a cool set, but if the real PAF of JB sound like that, assuming SD was abe to replicate then as accurate as possible, then i have to say you wind better pickups than those real PAF on Joe's burst. :thumb:

1 person likes this.