Seth Lover

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Thunderheart, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Thunderheart

Thunderheart Member

Hi folks,

I need some help with pup replacements.

I have a 2012 LP Standard and want to replace the burstbucker pros and install a set of Seth Lovers. What else should be replaced? Pots, etc?

Does anyone sell complete sets of the parts needed?

First time for this so any help is appreciated.

Thanks to all.

2. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I use guitarpartsresource.com. Prices are good and shipping and reasonable. Forum member Jonesy makes top notch premade wire caps and pots.

Honestly. Since it's an American LP, I'd try the pickups first. You're not going to get that much difference out of replacing the rest of the electronics.

The Seths are great BTW. I just installed a set this weekend.

Thunderheart likes this.
  3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

My favorite pickups.

4. Thunderheart

Thunderheart Member

I guess a concern is that I have the push pull volume and tone controls?

5. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Yeah you won’t be able to split coils with the Seths. They only have two leads. So you need to ask how much you actually use that feature.

FWIW, I also have a set of Whole Lotta Humberkers and you can split with those.

6. JeffH66

JeffH66 Pelham Blue Addict Premium Member

You should check to see if you have 300k pots or 500k. Maybe all USA LP's have 500's and I just don't know it. I always like to put in pots and caps of my choosing when I upgrade pickups, unless I know what's already in there is top notch. For $50-$75 it makes me feel better. There are several places that make great pre wired kits, one already mentioned here. Tone Man is another.

The Seth Lovers are fantastic pickups, one of my absolute favorites. If you think you will use coil splitting, you can order Seth's with 4 conductor wiring. It's called a Shop Floor Custom order and you can place it through any SD dealer. There is no upcharge to order them that way, but it takes a couple of weeks. If you need the name of a dealer, let me know.

Thunderheart and kfowler8 like this.
  7. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Splittable Seths sounds like a fantastic setup! I think Gibson is now consistently using 500K pots, which they sure as heck should be doing, but you probably should check to make sure before you do the wiring, which should be easy. You could fiddle with tone cap values if you want, but I've done loads of fooling around with caps and usually find my way back to .022s.

8. Thunderheart

Thunderheart Member

I'll use a set of Seth Lovers and add new pots ( for piece of mind).

Thanks to everyone for the all great advice.

I appreciate it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    kfowler8 likes this.
  9. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

One that I would be interested in trying is the no load pot. They don't make a reverse (left handed) version so I've never tried them but it's an interesting idea. Same mod as wiring the pickups directly to the output jack.

10. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

If you've never soldered pots before, let me give you some advice. Take some ~300 grit sandpaper and scuff the back of the pot where you want to solder. I usually just do this where you solder the one lug to the back. You don't need to scuff it much. Just enough to take the shine off it. It'll make your solder flow so much easier. Took me years to figure this out.

11. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

You might want to consider doing a 50's wiring upgrade if you're planning on adding new pots.

12. Thunderheart

Thunderheart Member

I'm a lefty and play a left hand LP. Do I need to specify that when buying pups and pots????

13. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

PUs, no. Pots, usually yes but it depends on what you want. If you're using linear pots, it doesn't matter. If you use audio/log pots (what mostly used in guitars) then you generally want to lefty pots so the taper is in the right spot. It's really all personal preference though.

I've used both and there is a noticeable difference for when the sounds changes.

Thunderheart likes this.
  14. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

They make them....

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/seth-lover-bridge

Just select 4 conductor in Buy Options -> Additional Options.

For some reason, if you buy the set, the option isn't there, but if you order them individually (neck and bridge), you can get the option for 4 wire.

15. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I have a lefty and just wire up normally.....using the same patterns as a righty. The pots roll down the right way and 10 is still full volume.

To be honest, I'd typically want the harness upgraded first. Its always good to hear your current pickups and the guitar 'unfettered'. Then maybe see if there are any tonal issues like overly bright/dull. It might affect either your pickup choice or make you think about component value tweaks for tone sculpting.

JohnnyN likes this.
  16. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

10 and zero aren't the problem. It's where the taper happens. If you use a right-handed log pot and wire it for a lefty, there's a much quicker roll off. Some people like it, some don't. If you don't ever use the middle settings on your tone/vol, it won't make a difference.

17. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  18. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

What I was saying was that if I'd wired it up like a RH pot, and used the same knobs so that the progression is from 10 through 9,8 7 etc past the pointer, then the taper will be the same too

19. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I think I understand what you're saying. But then the way you turn the pots will be reversed. I tried this way with a set of EMGs since the quick release plugs won't let you reverse the pots. I couldn't get past it since it was different than all my others. I ended up using traditional pots.

I suppose though it's all what you're used to.