Seriously Gibson....WTF

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by journeyman73, Aug 10, 2017.

1. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Whomever is telling you this about TM & Wood is completely full of $hite & has no idea what they are talking about.

Cheers, Rudi.

2. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

No thanks, I'm fine, and have all the guitars I need. Whoever you are?

3. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

4. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

LOL, I thought so, you buy what you like, then keep what speaks to you, that's the only way, for me.
    A lot of crap here in my country, you won't believe how far it goes.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  5. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

+ 10, that is the only way. :thumb: :applause:

If you like it & it speaks to you then you keep it. If you don't, you put it in the Classifieds & tell the members here your Wife is busting your balls or you have a Tax Bill or some BS excuse after telling everyone it plays like "butta". :laugh2:

:cheers2:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  6. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

You can get replicas made with OG, Braz and vintage correct nitro for less than a R9. Their price range is unrealistic for what they are.

7. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

it plays like "butta". :laugh2:

This is a good one, LOL.

Having lunch with my parents, I was in the middle of my soup, almost shared it. LOL

RAG7890 likes this.
  8. Nippon

Nippon Senior Member

I am Nippon, just read the name under the profile pic.

Don't care how many guitars you have, or the size of your knob.

9. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

That is what I thought.

Opinions are opinions. If you think differently, fine. If you think insults are relevant then leave. Everyone has their own opinion.

10. jamman

jamman Premium Member

OK , here's the Post link from the other site ,Which I've copied a reply post that CD stated he recieved from TM . It clearly states the TM IS picking the tops on this run ,along with other details about the run ... I'd take this info as true and correct .

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/s...17-Tom-Murphy-painted-and-aged-these-are-cool!

And I quote from that link :

"Tom Murphy wrote me a very nice email today. In addition to being very informative about this project, I think it reflects, more than anything, his love of Les Pauls.

Here's his email:

Charlie,

Thanks for the plug on the"Murphy" limited. I just wanted to give you a little more insight into what it's all about. First I gotta say that it's really SWEET and for me personally fulfills about a 24 year fantasy of exactly what I wanted to see in a '50's style Les Paul. Most everybody knows about my involvement with Historics from the start in '93. That was very satisfying and the guitars have been fantastic since.

My relationship with the Custom division since '99 has been through the "aging" concept. It's been , and still is a great arrangement for me and special working relationship with the people inside. It's pretty well known that whenever I have an Historic, I do some standard mods myself because I'm SO picky about several details. Over a period of time in 2016 I asked if Custom could engineer a guitar for me so that I wouldn't have to do it myself. With new technology I knew they could execute some of the things that previously had been maybe a little bit more difficult to control consistently.

One of the things I always do to my Historics is to slightly re-carve the dish in the top. I think it's one of the most beautiful features of the'50's guitars. So... That was my main request, along with neck profile, color, serial # appearance, etc. Lynn Mathews and Mathew Klein and everyone in engineering have been awesome and it definitely wouldn't happen without all of their work. I was asked to view some scans of top profiles of original guitars and I suggested one from a pretty notable piece (I don't think I can say the name). They have a process for carving now that helps preserve the specific details that can otherwise be diminished somewhat during heavy sanding.

The products coming out of the Custom have always been great and have continued to improve in detail almost yearly, so I wanted to keep most all of the current specs and just add a few of mine. The results blew me away and I am so happy with the guitars I have been working on. It was decided that I would paint the Burst and have been picking the tops. Initially I didn't want such fabulous tops that could over shadow the other details. Basically a guitar that I could really appreciate as well as take out and play anywhere. I'll just say that I could not be happier with the project; really like a dream come true for me. A quick run down of things I hope people take note of are: the new carving, the comfortable '59 neck profile, a little more faded reissue cherry ( aniline stained filler ), I asked to change the serial numbering to guarantee a 5 digit ( 9 ---- ), and especially, I moved the dating system out of the serial number, so now the year of production ('17 ) is located on the ledge in the control cavity where the R9 was located. I requested brass ABR 1 saddles, and my designed cream colored brass ( unbreakable ) jack plate. The vintage style one will be in the case.

So, am I pumped? You bet. I hope the folks that check into the limited run will be pleased. I GOT MINE! "

So ,,,, Call me crazy ,but , We seem to be a Gibson / LP Web-site . That might be the reason we don't talk about "other " Builders here ... But I'm only guessing ... And if Original Bursts were a dime a Dozen . We'd complain about those too ...
    Play nice .....

tspoon5150, jlb32 and lpthomas like this.
  11. mudface

mudface Senior Member

But they're easy to catch and make glue out of them.

12. lpthomas

lpthomas Member

This x 100! Should be in a lot of threads currently. Well put.

There have been quite a lot of 8-10k guitars coming out of fender recently. And there's a lot of admiration for them. Maybe because of the master builder concept. Although, as you said, the guitars are more basic in essence. I am not surprised by the price of this Murphy run and I think the 2017 Standards are reasonably priced. Same goes for the Modern Double Cut Standard and lots of other guitars. Certainly not the communis opinio, but look at the regular US production. When a regular LP approaches 3k, why shouldn't these Murphys cost thrice that?

Stuff likes this.
  13. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Respectfully Jeff, we know the relationship between Charlie, Gibson & the LPF............I would not expect anything less but gushing support from Tom & Charlie, especially since Gibson is somewhat of a cash cow for Tom in some respects & a major sponsor of the LPF.

I am sure there will be some killer Murphy's in this bunch but like anything it is all about finding the right Guitar & getting it for a fair price.

No comment on Fender, I stopped buying FCS & FCS MB's many years ago when I started getting my custom Guitars.

Cheers, Rudi

14. joff

joff Senior Member

So, has TM only painted the Bursts on this run? I was thinking that he had painted the whole guitar like back in 1993.

I can understand why he wanted a 5 digit Serial Number for each guitar, but i don't like the Serial Numbers that they have chosen to give them for 2017, as in 9 1XXX.

15. zamdrang

zamdrang Member

Personally for years i've tried to understand why Tom Murphy is so special or his view/opinion on LPs is so valued.. I have nothing against the guy and know nothing about him other than his aging "process" being so renown. Personally I find aging a joke. Im sorry to offend and to each their own... but if the marks, dings and wear didn't come from playing it has about as much authenticity as a Kardashian. There's only one way to age a guitar.... time and use.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    DanD, Les Paul Newb and RAG7890 like this.
  16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

3 pages in & we finally have a good Post.

:thumbs: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  17. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

This.

Aging, relicing, VOS finishes... all complete BS. Can't believe people fell for that shit. What a joke. It's literally spending money for someone to fu*k up your beautiful guitar.

its literally no different than an "aged" vehicle. "The Ford F-150... now available in the 'old timey' trim package. Each ding, scrape, and rust hole painstaking created by master old timer Fred Jenkins. He even chose the hoods personally. He's super exited about this new limited run of 70 shit buckets."

zamdrang likes this.
  18. jamman

jamman Premium Member

RAGS,
    I posted the link and copied /pasted it for those who didn't want to go over and take a look . It was more of an Information purpose post from me then anything . To clear up ~ what was done on this run . How much of it is true ??? Good question , I can't say with any certainty . But after the fluff ,I feel there were some facts there ... that might be helpful . Yes I agree with you about the relationships over there are what they are . Like no one throws sales pitches here ??? I've been guilty of that myself ....
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For the above member :

TM is doing more on this run (from what I've read) then just painting . So a little history of TM is that when he worked in the Repair and Restoration department of Gibson .My understanding is, He came up with matching sections of aged guitars he would repair to what the guitar already looked like(It looked better ,and Customers agreed) . He also was a driving part of getting Gibson to do Historics ,from the start of the separate CS , as we know them today ... although the 3 main persons who were involved in that are now gone , His name and work(as a subcontractor) still cares weight . If you like what he does and are willing to pay for it ,,, It may have appeal and be something to consider buying .
    TM has a direct connection with Gibson, to the Aging, VOS and such stuff we have today ....
    Like it or not , pay for it or not , Some always will , But IMO , a 10K seems to be very limiting on just who will purchase them , these days . Reflected in how many have sold ,from the last time i looked . it was 1 wasn't it ? Is HJ filling in his pension lapses ?

19. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

[​IMG]

jamman likes this.
  20. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I have never seen anyone hogging any Threads with sales pitches here Jeff............:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: ;)

Seriously though I have had 3 or 4 Murphy's. Two were Yamanos from 2007.

One out of these was a good Guitar, the others were pretty lifeless IMHO. Par for the course I suppose.

I can see TM maybe picking stuff for really special runs but then he only picks what is there to pick in the first place.

IMHO Tom's real expertise is shooting a Burst; i.e. I really like his paint jobs because he seems to add some color & life to a Les Paul. :thumb: :applause:

Cheers, Rudi

jamman likes this.