Seriously Gibson....WTF

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by journeyman73, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Pythonman

Pythonman Senior Member

Flipping CLASSIC!! I think it's no joke even. This is real. This was epic lol!!

cooljuk likes this.
  2. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

Fortunatly, this is a Joke, this guy, Risitas, is Spanish and here is the real translation, still funny though.

Back to Hide glue, unfortunatly we are not far from reality... Yes, this is a classic each time I see this I am bursting in loud laugh.
    The guy is just irresistible and the lines.. oh boy!

"Hide Glue"...
    "We throw some new plastic... and jack the price so high they won't know what to think"...
    "Rich white men spend money and think they sound like Jimmy Page"...
    "you don't just sound like Jimmy Page because of some plastic"...
    "Custom Tops, it's the same wood... the feel special because they pay more money to see the wood before we use it"
    "it's just too easy"

... and so on... so real it's unreal (or vice versa)...

This one is good also about the 2015 models

Pythonman likes this.
  3. Nippon

Nippon Senior Member

No, he is a vandal. One step up from dudes who tag train carriages and phone boxes.

4. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

That's the funniest shit I've ever seen. I'm crying over here with stomach cramps.

dsmcl77 and Pythonman like this.
  5. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

What, you'd rather buy a beautiful new Les Paul instead of having some dude named Tom draw on it with scalpel and take some sandpaper to the shiny finish?

zamdrang likes this.
  6. Nippon

Nippon Senior Member

No, I'd rather pay a kid to coin my new Porsche and finish off by smashing one of the mirrors and spray paint a big penis on the side.

7. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Pre-dinged up porsches? I'll sign up for CC#1 James Dean and CC#2 Paul Walker.

Nippon, dsmcl77, freebyrd 69 and 3 others like this.
  8. lpthomas

lpthomas Member

Man, why didn't Gibson use solid colors on all of their LPs back in the day? Would have made it so much easier for them these days... I think this Les Paul looks great, maybe a bit more unique than others in this run.

An e-mail by Murphy regarding the run was posted on the other forum. Worth a read.

9. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

You have to give them credit for not wrecking the price on the entire line of 2017's so at least they learned something from the 2015 fiasco. Don't wreck em all.

dsmcl77 likes this.
  10. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Ouch :laugh2:

MikeC likes this.
  11. jamman

jamman Premium Member

The top in the OP must have looked "better" before it was carved and stained , I guess . IMO TM paints a beautiful Burst , But not 10K beautiful . IMO , the top and headstock aging are way over done .... Hey , but you gotta get something for 10K ...

Still a regular Gibson LP ... with some slight mods TM asked for .... The other Forum has a Thread worth reading for it's info on what TM asked for, for this run .

Sounds like other LP's that are Non-TM'ed . Funny how the Fret Boards are "Good and Dark" on these. Pay regular $ and you get so-so . maybe nice fret boards , Luck appears to be a part of Gibson's Standard QC mindset these days . Pay more and you get what used to be a standard typical quality Fret board .....

12. Pythonman

Pythonman Senior Member

That part about guys thinking they sound like Jimmy Page? Ask anyone who ever bought a Jimmy Page Historic. If they didn't sound just like Jimmy Page by golly with that axe they wouldn't keep them lol.

dsmcl77 likes this.
  13. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

I almost spit my tea on the Paul Walker comment.

MikeC likes this.
  14. Callaway

Callaway Senior Member

Oh well just add this to the ever growing list of puzzling things like pickups that sticker at over 60k, houses in a medium sized city that are listed for over 1m. Hell a hunting buddy of mine just forked over close to 3k for a lab pup that at this point no one knows will if he be a great dog or not. The world is full of inequities and curiosities one can't declare war on each and every windmill they come across the guitar all in all and well out of my price point sure ain't all that hard on the eyes or ears.

15. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

I am DIY restoring my house, I feel like a Relicing Master.

Nippon likes this.
  16. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Funny how so many here drool over $250K-$500K 1959 Gibson original bursts where some are great and some are dogs, like every other year Les Paul, yet a $5K-$9K Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul Reissue in 2017 is blasphemy.

All the while Fender Custom Shop, and most other manufacturers, make bolt on neck, simple basic guitars, in the same price range and you hear nothing about it.

Checked the price on PRS Private Stocks, Fender Masterbuilts, ESP Customs, etc.... lately?

Many here seem to be way out of the loop when it comes to pricing of anything called Custom Shop these days. Or maybe it just seems to be nothing but hate on the Les Paul Forum anymore.

Kind of surprised many are still here or even post on a Gibson forum. They seem to hate anything Gibson does, no matter what it is, more than anything.

xzacx, Stuff, MikeC and 2 others like this.
  17. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Murphy is an artist right? Does he get involved in wood selection?
    I'm not a fan of most aging work of his, but heard so much about TM aged equals better wood/sound.
    Personally I'd rather spend the extra cash on a nice fretboard or a nice top.

18. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

I can give you my wallet for any gorgeous Gibson LPs that really got me, but I never have the heart to spend more than 4-5k for a strat, maple and alder with 4 bolts, no way...

19. Nippon

Nippon Senior Member

Need a box of tissues?

20. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Tom does not choose Wood.

Tom gets a Batch of Guitars & does his thing.

I've had a number of Murphies, some good, some of them rather dead sounding, including a Yamano that was rather "flat".

Gibson Custom does not choose Wood either. The only Wood they choose would be around certain CC's to get close to the original Top & as we all know that has even been hit & miss.

Always a great laugh to think that some members actuallly believe there is some sort of Secret Society Wood selection process going on, but hey if it makes you feel good.

There Are numerous good reasons why some Les Paul's are great & quite a few are not.

:cheers2: