Serial Number Stamp Update!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pinefd, Apr 27, 2010.

1. guitarsmith

guitarsmith Senior Member

pinefd and all the others that made these kits possible:

I literally work about 200yards from a custom rubber stamp company that has been around since 1961. Really old school folks that thrive on this type of project.

I have used them for graphic projects throughout my many years. They do 100% custom stamp work when needed. I could approach them with the specs you put together and PM you with all the details if they are interested so you can retain control over the work you have put into these kits. Let me know

3 people like this.
  2. Spotcheck Billy

Spotcheck Billy Senior Member

That sounds tasty to me. I think there are still plenty who want a kit, myself included, to make it work. And with pinefd's source in retirement it wouldn't be like you were stepping on anyone's toes. Fingers crossed!

3. RjC Guitar

RjC Guitar Member

Hey Frank! I sent you an Email about these kits and will get with my Mom about this and see if we can get some!!!

Thanks!!:thumb:

4. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Rick, thanks so much for checking in! After having sent two emails, without hearing back, I was beginning to worry about your mom! I just sent you an email, so hopefully we can get rolling on these things again.

Frank

5. pinefd

Hey guitarsmith, that sounds awesome! I'd like to discuss the possibility of doing a rotary stamp. I've had a number of people request one of these, and up until now, all of the custom stamp makers couldn't do what we needed with all of our specs. Plus, the price of these, if they could produce them to our specs, would have been out of reach for most of the people here. So, the kits have filled...and continue to fill a void.

Please email me to discuss further, as I think my PM box is full at this point, and I don't have time to clean it up. My email address is: pinefd@comcast.net

Thanks!

Frank

3 people like this.
  6. guitarsmith

I will send you an email when my work day does clear up here. I have asked about rotary stamps before, and the general consensus is that 99% of these are generic stock stamps that actually manufactured in Chicago.

I did contact the Stamp company up the street and they said you could have a custom rotary stamp made however the price could be extremely high. Now that doesn't mean it is out of reach. I guess it is all relative to the industry standard of pricing for these things, and I am no expert on rubber stamps.

I will get some more information today, and will explore all avenues to see what they can do for this project.

If possible I need a few details to see if they match up to what I noted from the two forum stamp posts

1. number spacing
    2. number Height (13/64)?
    3. placement template for each number

Any other critical information here

I will at least get on the horn today and have a long conversation so they can get an estimate with prototypes if they decide it is a project they want to go after.

Chances are we will have to show enough interest to make this worth their time. It seems like any business in the rubber stamp industry would be good these days - but my assumptions could be ignorant. I will take the bull by the horns today and see what happens. I am setting up a meeting as I type here.

1 person likes this.
  7. pinefd

^^^ Great, thanks! I did a lot of research early on when we were first looking at options. I found a couple of places that could do rotary stamps, using our custom font, and the prices I was quoted was around $125+ per stamp, with a minimum order of 10 stamps, I believe. I probably would have gone ahead with that, since I think we had enough people interested in those at the time, except that these places could not do the spacing we required. It seems that they have a standard strip size they use, which were quite a bit wider than our requirements.

So, bottom line is, we need the following:

1) A custom rotary stamp maker that can use our custom font. It can't be "close" to our font, since I know there are some off-the-shelf stamps that come "close"...it has to be exact. And that includes the exact size, as well...which is right around 3/16" (or slightly less), as I recall.

2) The center-to-center spacing has to be exact. This spacing is approximately .15".

3) The stamps should be at least 6 numbers across, with 0 - 9 numbers on each strip.

4) The price point should be in the $125 - $150 range.

Those are the critical elements.

Let me know how you make out!

Frank

8. guitarsmith

Yes, I made it very clear that the fonts have to match the latest .JPG I found on the thread exactly and no stock template would be acceptable. I will see what develops.

Lets keep our fingers crossed!

9. The Thruth

The Thruth wizzard MLP Sponsor

if you guys can make rotary stamp with exact numbers like Franks i am in for 2 if price is aprox 150$ or less :thumb:

10. guitarsmith

So I do have a plan "B" however I need to dig into some reading on different substrates. Basically plan "B" is using a 3D printer. There are many of these around where I am at, and it may be reasonable to test!

The plus side of the 3D printer is that it would be relatively inexpensive and would match exactly to any specification needed. I am looking into the "Squish" factor of the materials used.

The downside is I would need to rent the machine for a few hours to create the amount of numbers (and letters.) and i will be forced to take exams to use the machines - also at the mercy of a calendar with lots of wait.

11. guitarsmith

Update: So I just had a good conversation with the rubber stamp company, and they are going to take all the specs and get back to me on two options.

Option #1 is a rotary stamp custom to size.
    Option #2 is a kit - but the numeral holder will be a stamp that the custom numerals are placed into then you stamp away. We should hear back by mid week. We need at least a dozen folks to move on either of these options.

Now as this moves forward I more than likely will have to put this into pinefd hands for testing as I am in no position to judge accuracy. I will however post the results if this moves forward into a production state.

3 people like this.
  12. Pete McBride

Pete McBride Banned

Count me in for one if it all works out.

13. pinefd

Hey, guys, I just wanted to provide you with an update on the regular stamp kits, for those who have been waiting for one. Thanks to Rick (RjC Guitar), he was able to get word to his mom (who is the supplier of these kits) that we were looking for some more. And although she's officially retired from the business, she enjoys working with us...and these kits, so much, that she can continue to supply these to us as long as her (raw material) supplies hold out. So, I expect to receive another batch of the kits from her within another week or two. I'll update you once I have them in hand.

And with regard to the rotary stamps, I'm awaiting word from guitarsmith as to whether his contact will be able to help with those, and at what cost.

Please keep in mind that the stamp kits are great for those looking to do maybe a handful of guitars, as the cost of these are quite reasonable. Whereas, the rotary stamps will probably appeal more to those who are a little more production oriented, or to those in the repair/restoration business who don't mind paying more for something that's both high quality, and easier to use.

Frank

2 people like this.
  14. est54

est54 Senior Member

Sounds like this project is gearing up again which is great! I still would like to know when they are available becuase I would love to get one. Thanks everyone for all of your hard work.

15. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Banned

Pm me when you have some Frank!

16. guitarsmith

Hello Everyone, no official update yet. I should hear something tomorrow in regards to both of the above mentioned options. As Frank has mentioned, the push now will be to have a rotary stamp at the accurate spacing 1st, then as a back-up to the current stamping systems already in use, the non-rotary type blocks.

I run an office out here in CA and the boss man is coming into town, so I may not post the results until later in the week. they frown on internet usage - I will however try and let you all know what shakes down once I hear.

17. guitarsmith

Quick update - So word on the street is that so far all but one company is not willing to put the effort into a custom rotary stamp. The last folks in Chicago are still on the fence.

The "Kit" type lettering however can be done at proper spacing and it would have a custom carrier that works like a typical wood handle stamp once populated with the pre cut numbers. I should have pricing on these, even though this is not ideal.

So it is a mixed bag right now.

2 people like this.
  18. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Senior Member

Pinefd did a remarkable job with this kit and it's not only simplistic but extremely accurate in every detail! For the price, I couldn't see anyone comeing up with something better. Thanks Frank for the effort you put into this project.

19. guitarsmith

I received some pricing today from the stamp company, it is a bit cryptic so I need to go over everything with them to make sure it is accurate.

From my initial review it is very disappointing cost wise. Quality wise it would be great.

These manual number kits (as estimated) are bat-crap crazy expensive. I need to go over everything with them to smack some reality into their world and reel them back in. I know the old kits are back on the table for production it appears, so this may be a non-issue, however I need to make sure they are not purposely trying to gouge us on these. To me it appears they are.

The rotary option is still out for bid I will keep working on that end of things.

20. pinefd

Thanks for all your efforts, guitarsmith. Much appreciated. Fortunately, it looks like our original stamp kit supplier is willing and able to continue producing these kits for us for the foreseeable future, so I don't think you really need to continue pursuing the manual kits from your end. But do keep us posted on the rotary stamps.

Oh, and for those who've been wondering, I should have a new batch of the stamp kits in hand early this coming week. I'll keep you posted.

Frank