Serial Number Help on Vintage SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Mr. Beef, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

I'm totally confused with what I believe to be my 1976 SG Standard and need some help on the serial number and some other (in)consistencies.

The serial number on my '76 SG is 254049 and it is stamped on the back of the headstock as is "made in USA." One of the websites I checked the serial no. on said it was a '65, which I know is not accurate. The logo has a closed "b" and "o" and dotted "i." My '76 LP Custom has a decal serial number, no "dot" and closed "b" and "o," which seems consistent with a '76.

My best guess is that the SG is a '75 and not a '76.

I also thought that Gibson went to the open "b" and "o" in 1984, but my '90 standard with double cream pickups has a closed "b" and "o." which is inconsistent with what I thought.

Any help or confirmation of what I thought would be appreciated!

Here's some pics of the guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'76 LP Custom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'90 LP Standard logo

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  2. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

According to the guiarhq site, the serial number dates it to between 1973-1975. I'm not sure on the logo intricacies, but there are people around here that will be all over that shortly I'll bet.

3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

It's a '75
    That logo is the '71 style, (you see that one pop up in the 70's randomly), but they used the closed B and O until 91 or 92, then had a Gibsun one for a sec, then it was refined to the one you still see today. That SN# is '75 all day long, and I bet the pot codes will reflect that if stock, (might EVEN BE late '74 :hmm:)and will be either 300K x4, or 300K vol and 100K tone. Send me the codes on them and I can translate.

4. Mr. Beef

Cool, will do!

5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

So not exactly sure why there'd be late '76 pots in this thing..without an oval decal..
    But solder has been touched..so hard telling..maybe damaged somehow and replaced?

Finish IS original, correct?

6. Mr. Beef

It looks like the original finish to me. Still a nice guitar no matter what.