Send\Return pedal?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Robus, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Robus

Robus Senior Member

Hi. I am looking for a pedal that I can put in the loop of my Mesa V:25 that will let me dial in the amount of signal that goes to other pedals in that loop. I have noticed some tone suck from the full signal running through the pedals. So I would like to run the pedals on full and dial in the amount that goes to them versus the amount that goes directly back into the amp's return.

Hope that was clear. Does anybody make something like that? It sounds like something Radial might make but I did not check. Thanks.

2. tzd

tzd Senior Member

I believe the 'tone suck' you describe is signal clipping from a too-hot signal in the effects loop.

The effects loop of lower end MESA amps like the Express 5:25/5:50, Mark FIVE:25 and FIVE:35 operate only at LINE Level and is meant to be used with rack effect processors that accept LINE Level signals. It doesn't work very well with pedal effects that expect INSTRUMENT Level signals.

All you can do to reduce the level going in is to turn down the MASTER, because the FX SEND is connected after the MASTER control. But, you will then need to find a way to boost the final signal going back into FX RETURN to get back your volume.

With the higher end full Mark V 90-watt, you have additional level controls for the effects loop (SEND Level and OUTPUT Level) to control the amount of signal being sent and returned in the effects loop.

3. Robus

Robus Senior Member

Thanks. Would a clean boost at the end of the chain do it? Better yet, could I find a mixer pedal like the one I described in the OP that could convert a line level signal to hi-z then back?

4. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Sounds like something I should try on my Express 5:25.

What worked for me is plugging in a HD500X in the effects loop using the HD500X's FX Return and final OUTPUT, both set at LINE level - and use the HD500X like a rack unit for Delay effect. However it is way too clunky.

The ideal pedal would be an Eventide TimeFactor where you can individually set the level of Input and Output, but I'm not ready to spend that much money on it right now.

5. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Aside from the huge voltage difference, there is also an impedance difference between a line level signal and an instrument level signal. If your FX loop expects to "see" line level signals (and sends the same through the loop), use line-level effects in that loop for the best headroom, frequency response, and signal to noise ratio.

You won't do any harm to the amp by putting instrument level FX in the loop, but you might experience some anomalies that make it an undesirable sound.

tzd likes this.