seems like telltale sign of failing amp

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by pamoffa, Nov 24, 2017.

1. pamoffa

pamoffa Member

Not sure If I'm posting this in the right place but, My tube amp has been getting a crackle once in a while It didn't bother me too much it's been going on for about a year even if the amp is on and no playing today thanksgiving no sound the preamp tube died its not lit up so I guess I should have had tubes on hand I ordered a russian 12ax7 from sweetwater and have to wait bummer Now I know what a bad tube sounds like.

2. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

Tubes don’t last forever, it’s part of the game. I generally keep a bunch on hand just to be able to play with the tone of an amp.

GBLEV likes this.
  3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Yeah, it's been going on for a year... maybe time to do something about it, eh? Crackle is a sign of impending failure. As you just learned.

4. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Wait till a power tube goes on ya. Makes quite a odd sound like a vaaoomp then nothing, plus it will blow the fuse in the amp. First time one blew on me i wasnt in the room to hear anything, so i replaced the fuse and turned it back on. One power tube was glowing vibrant purple and the fuse blew again. Quick google told me the purple tube was shot. Replaced the pair of el84s and the fuse and shes golden for now.