Searching for low output/70's spec Strat pickups - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by TheZ, Sep 29, 2017.

1. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

My favorite Strat is currently loaded with Texas Specials or something similar, great pickups in their own right but not totally in line with what I've been using the guitar for. The best sounding Strat pickups I've personally played have been CBS-era. I've been looking at used sets and they're going for absurd prices. Is there anyone out there making something like that? Something in the 5.5k range with that twangy scooped mids sound? Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Kris Ford likes this.
  2. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

I suggest you have a look at MLP's pickup winders/vendors.
    You'll get good advice right here.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  4. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

This. The Custom Shop 69s that Fender makes are great sounding pickups and used sets can always be found for a fraction of what you would pay for a boutique set.

5. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

70's Strat pickups would be flat pole A5 magnets, machine wound, plain enamel wire wound. If you don't play live or with high gain, you can get them lacquer dipped (as some at that time were, but they feedback easier) instead of wax potted for more treble.

6. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

+1 on the 69s. Hendrix, Gilmour, Blackmore, they're all in there

7. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

Yes, the ones I played were definitely flat pole magnets. Anyone make a set like that? I've definitely seen a lot of options for staggered magnets with various specs that are correct for 50's-early 70's, but not many of the flat pole variety.

8. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

The Fender 57/62 set it really good and really cheap also. I think the key ingredients are AlNiCo 5 pole pieces, coils at or below 6k ohms, and a non over wound bridge pickup. Three of the exact same pickup, in other words. A lot of sets have hot bridge pickups these days, and people wonder why they don't sound like they used to. If the bridge is too ice picky, I think a better solution is to put the middle tone control on the bridge pickup as well.

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  9. GIBBYADDICTION

GIBBYADDICTION Member

Actually I had the neck pickup rewound by Vineham pickups in my '71 strat cause it died & the result was an absolute different pickup , way more lively tone & articulation

10. 60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI

60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI Senior Member

Reach out to Cooljuk over at Rewind. He's making some fantastic strat/tele pickups now!

11. bassmannlespaulman

bassmannlespaulman Senior Member

I got a pair of 50s raw vintage pickups that i put in my strat that i wouldn't trade for nothing.... they're 5.4k across the board. They're formvar wire like strats from 54 to 64 but they're clear as a bell, got great bottom and attack. The bridge is fat and snarly. Bright and chimey like a low output vintage strat is supposed to sound. they're not the plain enamel type of strat pickups you'd get like from 65 into the 70 during the CBS years. But honestly the difference between them isn't that significant if at all really....You can get all the great strat guy tones from it... from hendrix to srv to robert cray or... robin trower it's all at your finger tips... trust me you'll love em

Here's a video of Eric using them

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 12:37 AM
  12. Paully

Paully Senior Member

Rose pickups. Com

13. bassmannlespaulman

bassmannlespaulman Senior Member

Also rumpelstilskin pickups... they make Hendrix pickups....d Allen pickups makes a pair

They both make really good late 60s CBS strat pickups clones

14. rtTX

rtTX Junior Member

Seymour Duncan's Psychedelic Strat PUPs come standard at: 5.9k, 5.85k, 5.95k. "Using traditional materials and period accurate wind, these pickups have high highs, low lows, and a lot of space in between so that the mids have a scooped sound. This EQ profile will add depth and fullness to your tone."

The Psychedelic Strats typically come with staggered pole pieces but as mine were going on a late model American Deluxe (with a flatter radius than vintage) I wanted flat pole pieces also. When I contacted SD's Custom Shop to see if this was possible they not only said yes, they asked multiple questions about the guitar they were going into (Swamp Ash Body, Maple Neck, Rosewood FB) and additional specifics about the tone I was looking for.

Afterwards I was asked to specify, "Flat pole pieces, RWRP middle PUP, and slightly warmer wind" in the notes section of order form. Other standard, no additional cost options, include mag type (Alnico V), PUP cover color (9 Choices), SD Logo on covers (Yes/No), type of hookup wire (Vintage Cloth), wax potting (Yes/No). The only upcharge items are "aged" pole pieces ($5) and gold pole pieces ($10).

I have 3 other SD Custom Shop PUPs I love and purchased "standard" through a SD retailer but this was the first set I had custom made by them for a specific instrument. All things considered it was a painless and enjoyable process. My overall impression is that SD's Custom Shop personnel relishes a good challenge and take a lot of pride in their work. Even though my last name's certainly not Gilmour, Page, Gibbons or Bonamassa I don't think I could have received better service.

And since I'm getting exactly what I what for the same price I'd pay for a standard set of Psychedelic Strats from a SD retailer ($300.00) I think the Custom Shop's an excellent resource and value when looking for something very specific.

On the other hand, if $300 is more than you'd like to budget, 3 off-the-shelf Seymour Duncan SLL-2's, or 2 SSL-2's and a SSL-6 in the bridge will definitely get you in the same neighborhood for about $60 each. As you may know, the SLL-2 and SLL-6 are the same PUPs as SD's highly regarded SLL-1 and SSL-5's except with flat rather than staggered pole pieces.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with!

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  15. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

That is a great story about the Custom Shop. They really do take the time to get it right.

16. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

Beside all the good ideas evoked above...

Klein sells these ones: http://www.kleinpickups.com/p-45-1974-stratocaster-pickups.aspx#reviews
    They also do a "scooped" set.

Now, there's plenty of models with similar or "close-enough" specs/ sound... among them, I wouldn't hesitate to try these ones:

...or I'd go for something like Onamac windery 69's if I wanted hand guided PU's (for a lower Q factor/more open response but slightly lower stray capacitance / crispier tone / a tad richer harmonics than with Fender 69's, that I like too).

That's just 4 or 5 ideas among dozens of possibilities so take this post with all its subjectivity of the moment. Good luck in your quest!

17. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

+1:thumb:

I found a set of these used in the parts bin for less than half price of new and they changed my opinion of my American Deluxe Strat!

It came with N3's that just sounded cold and lifeless to me, so much so I gave the guitar to a friend to use a few years ago.

Just recently I found this set and asked him for the guitar back to do a refit and see if they helped.

Helped is an understatement! I fell in love with the sound of that guitar and didn't want to give it back to him!

It has an S-1 in it and the different pup combos make my mouth drool now. I actually miss it now!

Obviously YMMV, but they are very toneful pickups IMO....

Turned this tone turd into a songbird!