Screws doesn't fit on my new pickup mounting rings

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by lorenzo, Mar 10, 2017.

1. lorenzo

lorenzo Senior Member

Hey, guys!

I have a Gibson Les Paul Future Tribute (which has black plastic parts). Since I never liked that "futuristic" look, I decided to replace the guitar's original pickup mounting rings, toggle ring and knobs.
    So I bought a set of cream pickup mounting rings from Allparts, but the pickups' screw holes (the ones in the middle) are too small for the screws I have (that came with the guitar's original pickups). Because of that, I'm able to fasten the screws, but they get so tight that I can't adjust the pickup height - because they don't get loose like shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYhIpfPttCE, I guess.
    Should I enlarge the holes? If so, how can I do it?
    Or everything is fine and I might have installed them poorly?

PS: these are the pickup mounting rings - [​IMG]
    The Gibson ones are like these - [​IMG]

2. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded Baron Premium Member

Got a caliber? Just measure the screws, and drill the holes..very simple :)

3. lorenzo

lorenzo Senior Member

So the screws should be loose inside the holes (like in the video I posted), right?
    In this case, why the mounting rings come with these tight holes?

4. Riffster

Riffster Senior Member

Yes, they should be slightly lose to allow for rotation and adjust the pickup height up and down.

Guitar parts are fairly standardized but not always. The rings you bought may fit the screws on other pickups just fine.

Simply enlarging the holes carefully with a drill bit will solve the problem.

5. lorenzo

lorenzo Senior Member

That's right! I tried my Tone Emporium pickups on them and they fit perfectly. The problem is I still want to use my Gibson Classic '57 pickups (which came with larger screws and have larger screw holes on its legs). I guess it doesn't worth enlarging the Allparts mounting rings' screw holes, but I can't find new creme Gibson ones with the right holes for an affordable price - even though most Classic '57 pickups (or all of them) use this configuration.

6. edselman

edselman Senior Member

Allparts are imports and made to fit metric screws if I'm not mistaken.